LD Jarred Tinordi (2010, 22nd overall, Montreal)

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Hmm, I havent read any reports that say his defensive game is terrific. All I hear about is his "nastiness" and "heavy hitting".

Good skating for his size is another way of saying average skating ability. He is certainly not fleet of foot by any means.

As for his character, yes, he seems to be a great kid. Comes from a great family (I know his brother Matt, and he is a great person in his own right), but ultimately, I am not sure if that can make up for everything that his game lacks.

Seems like a poor man's Derian Hatcher to me.

So you've never seen him play right?

There are some knowledgeable people in here, but sadly they are hard to find, since their comments get lost in a sea of 15 yo kids' nonsense.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Tinordi handles the puck better then Komisarek does and the Hatcher comparison is a pretty good one.

He doesn't goon it up as much as Komi and Hatcher did though...

Still a solid pick by the Habs...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
So you've never seen him play right?

There are some knowledgeable people in here, but sadly they are hard to find, since their comments get lost in a sea of 15 yo kids' nonsense.

Actually I have played with Jarred when he lived in Maryland and played for the Nats. And I continue to follow his progression to this day.

Dont automatically assume things. I just dont see NHL potential in this kid. Sorry I dont think that your favorite team made a good selection. You cant please everybody, but you dont have to make assumptions based on nothing :shakehead

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Actually I have played with Jarred when he lived in Maryland and played for the Nats. And I continue to follow his progression to this day.

Dont automatically assume things. I just dont see NHL potential in this kid. Sorry I dont think that your favorite team made a good selection. You cant please everybody, but you dont have to make assumptions based on nothing :shakehead

Everyone is entitled to there opinions, and it is a fair analysis. Personally, what I've seen of him is that he is very raw in many aspects of his game, but he seems to have the bloodlines to understand what it takes to make the NHL and the drive to improve on the weaker aspect of his game (that is of course what I gathered from his interviews, I may be wrong). He is years away, but I ultimately think he'll come to the NHL and be a solid, but not first pairing, defencemen.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I don't see stardom in him, but his size, passing, and skating ability screams 15 year top four d-man. Nothing fancy, but someone you can rely on at the NHL to do a job and do it without much negative pub on the ice.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't see stardom in him, but his size, passing, and skating ability screams 15 year top four d-man. Nothing fancy, but someone you can rely on at the NHL to do a job and do it without much negative pub on the ice.

and that's precisely what habs need..with a bunch of smaller puck movers like markov, subban, bennett, carle, etc

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Funny, most professional scouting reports I've read said his skating is impressive for a guy his size, and his defensiveness is PRO caliber. As for his offensiveness, yeah it's not great...

I'm perfectly fine taking him 22nd and losing a 2nd, sometimes you gotta go for quality over quantity, and this kid seems to have a lot of motivation to get better/stronger, and a great character. Sometimes that's what makes the difference between good players and great players.

His skating is not very good. Purely average.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
His skating is not very good. Purely average.

It is above average for a guy his size. He's certainly faster than Hal Gill and is only an inch smaller, I'm sure he can make it work. Heck, he probably has comparable speed and size to Pronger (if he fills out), and we know that Pronger is no slouch defensively despite his lack of foot speed.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
His skill set is that of someone who can be very reliable and have a long and successful career (ie, Jason Smith), but when you are talking about defenseman with minimal offensive upside without good hands or good skating, it is a very fine line between career NHL top four and career minor leaguer. I think he falls on the wrong side of that line. I'm definitely not sold on his skating and I think that will be his downfall.

But maybe he proves me wrong, I dont know!

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
What Scouts Say

"He skates very well for a big guy. He has an excellent shot from the point. He's a pretty smart player. The head's there, the hands are there, the shot's there, the skating ability is there. He's got a real, real cannon for a shot."
- Jack Barzee, NHL Central Scouting

"Tinordi is a chip off the old block. His father, Mark Tinordi, was once a physical, defensive defenseman in the NHL who punished the opposition and the younger Tinordi plays the exact same way. He not only mirrors his father's game, but also his size as he stands a firm 6'6" and weighs 205 pounds. The most physically ready of the USA NHL draft eligible prospects, Tinordi completes the package with a mean streak and strong mobility."
McKeen's 2010 NHL Draft Guide

"Massive stay-at-home rearguard with excellent character, bloodlines, and leadership. Dependable, shutdown defender always thinks defense first and his crease coverage is among the best of this class - colossal frame and nasty disposition form an impenetrable barrier between opponents and his goalie. Readily protects teammates and will drop the gloves. Reads and reacts to plays well at the defensive end. Effectively closes his man off to the wall and staples him there. Only has one gear, but shows functional mobility for a big man. Uses long stick/reach to break up lots of passes. Settles things down when team gets in trouble in its own end. Difficult to beat in 1-on-1 situations down low in puck battles or off the rush.

- Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

"When he plays a physical, nasty, pass-first game, he's as good as there is.
- A scout, quoted in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

Halifaxhab*

this is what I was hoping for. Our prospects need the ice time and they can always go to school later

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
God damn Montreal :facepalm: This kid is going to be such a steal. Very sad he didn't last until the Canucks.

SeriousFan09

Jul 15, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
After all the disappointments we've had from the NCAA, it doesn't surprise me.

Had a lot more disappointment from CHL in the last 7 years.

Guimauve, Chipchura (Tendon injury, not his fault but still), D'Agostini, Aubin, Greg and Danny Stewart, Flood Maxwell, Urquhart, Locke to name a few guys who never came through for the team or never got far enough to pull on the jersey after draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad