LD Jarred Tinordi (2010, 22nd overall, Montreal)

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
Mediocre all around in terms of individual skills. He's decent defensively, but I personally dont think that makes up for the lack of hands, average skating ability and nonexistent offensive ability.

All he has is size and apparently leadership ability.

He should have been a mid 2nd rounder at best, imo.
Funny, most professional scouting reports I've read said his skating is impressive for a guy his size, and his defensiveness is PRO caliber. As for his offensiveness, yeah it's not great...

I'm perfectly fine taking him 22nd and losing a 2nd, sometimes you gotta go for quality over quantity, and this kid seems to have a lot of motivation to get better/stronger, and a great character. Sometimes that's what makes the difference between good players and great players.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Funny, most professional scouting reports I've read said his skating is impressive for a guy his size, and his defensiveness is PRO caliber. As for his offensiveness, yeah it's not great...

I'm perfectly fine taking him 22nd and losing a 2nd, sometimes you gotta go for quality over quantity, and this kid seems to have a lot of motivation to get better/stronger, and a great character. Sometimes that's what makes the difference between good players and great players.
Hmm, I havent read any reports that say his defensive game is terrific. All I hear about is his "nastiness" and "heavy hitting".

Good skating for his size is another way of saying average skating ability. He is certainly not fleet of foot by any means.

As for his character, yes, he seems to be a great kid. Comes from a great family (I know his brother Matt, and he is a great person in his own right), but ultimately, I am not sure if that can make up for everything that his game lacks.

Seems like a poor man's Derian Hatcher to me.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
BINGO he is 6'5 1/2, usually rounded in major league sports to 6'6. There is no doubt. However the 2 people here who commented on their height, you may very well have lied, the average US and Canadian male is 5'9, so why did a 6'0 and a 6'3 show up, BECAUSE THEY LIED!!, of course he looks taller than you, the odds are you aren't even 6'3 when measured off shoes, off tippytoes, without rounding etc.

As I am writing there are 25 posts already, in 2 of those poeple posted their heights 2/25 would seem to me like it is the minority. But that's just me, I don't run around treating people of liers left and right.

ninetynine*

As I am writing there are 25 posts already, in 2 of those poeple posted their heights 2/25 would seem to me like it is the minority. But that's just me, I don't run around treating people of liers left and right.

LOL, only 2 people commented about their height, that's called BS! when both are 6'0+, the odds are just too low.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If Tinordi pans out I bet they trade Ryan O'Byrne.

O'Byrne, Gill, Tinordi = redundant.

Of course, that won't be for a while.

Tinordi in time will replace Gill who is most likely gone and retired after next season. Tinordi and O'Byrne will be the twin towers from hell for a lot of years imo. One will play Markov and the other with Subban.

ninetynine*

For what its worth I myself am 6'6 1/4 and on the Internet I usually say 6'9 or 10, so I lie too. I was interested in this because he sure doesn't look 6'6 to me, and turns out he isn't.

Analyzer*

If Tinordi pans out I bet they trade Ryan O'Byrne.

O'Byrne, Gill, Tinordi = redundant.

Of course, that won't be for a while.

Gill has 1 year left and imo will retire after this year.

For what its worth I myself am 6'6 1/4 and on the Internet I usually say 6'9 or 10, so I lie too. I was interested in this because he sure doesn't look 6'6 to me, and turns out he isn't.

He's 6'4/6'5. He looks to be slightly taller than his dad, who's 6'4.

For the record, I'm 8'10.

leftcoaster

Nov 8, 2009
Vancouver
BINGO he is 6'5 1/2, usually rounded in major league sports to 6'6. There is no doubt. However the 2 people here who commented on their height, you may very well have lied, the average US and Canadian male is 5'9, so why did a 6'0 and a 6'3 show up, BECAUSE THEY LIED!!, of course he looks taller than you, the odds are you aren't even 6'3 when measured off shoes, off tippytoes, without rounding etc.

you are strangely invested in the heights of posters on this board, any sort of complex going on there?

ninetynine*

you are strangely invested in the heights of posters on this board, any sort of complex going on there?

Yes I have a bit of a "Napoleon Complex" for a tall guy, but nobody is gonna blame a tall guy for wanting to be tall cause they are already tall. I usually use the term "Napoleon Syndrome" irl.

RawNastyHands

Oct 4, 2009
Jarred Tinordi

Jarred Tinordi has the same style as Scott Stevens. Scott Stevens may be a little more offensive and smaller then Tinordi.

Tinordi is really efficient in his zone. He often comes out of his zone with the puck or after battling in the corners. He uses his big frame to remove some grinders that are in front of his goalie. he doesn't hesitate to throw himself in front of a shot. He likes to play a solid physical game and loves to hit. Tinordi as a defense men might not be the best to put some points on the scoreboard but he definitely has a good skate for his size and a hell of a slap shot. he should be a top line defense men for the Habs.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Hmm, I havent read any reports that say his defensive game is terrific. All I hear about is his "nastiness" and "heavy hitting".

Good skating for his size is another way of saying average skating ability. He is certainly not fleet of foot by any means.

As for his character, yes, he seems to be a great kid. Comes from a great family (I know his brother Matt, and he is a great person in his own right), but ultimately, I am not sure if that can make up for everything that his game lacks.

Seems like a poor man's Derian Hatcher to me.

McKeen's

My favorite Team USA defenseman .. a big man with serious defensive mobility .. smooth backwards, maintains a wide base, minimizes crossovers, has good speed backwards, and can smoothly angle opponents to the boards .. Tinordi is basically a pro in this regard ..plays with some physicality and will engage physically in the neutral zone or at the blueline .. if Team USA needs someone to step in for skirmishes or to drop the gloves, Tinordi is there to answer the bell .. it really says something that on a team entirely of 1992's, all the same age, that Tinordi established himself as the captain .. gigantic at 6-foot-5.5 and will be an absolute force when he fills out his 205-pound frame .. smooth pivots that only require one step, always .. has a long skating stride and good speed .. breakout passing is pro caliber .. makes very hard, crisp passes right on the tape .. able to execute some nice saucer passes .. the sheer velocity of Tinordi's passes can be seen when they're tipped (rare) and change direction .. has good patience with the puck and doesn't panic when forechecked .. plays a simple game offensively, but has solid stick skills .. Tinordi would see regular powerplay time on a regular USHL team .. the perfect defensive defenseman to pair with an elite offensive defenseman, because Tinordi has skill to work with skilled players .. nobody in the USNTDP or the USHL appears to be as prepared to step into pro hockey right now as Tinordi .. in some regards, would like to see Tinordi drafted by Washington, because the thought of Tinordi alongside either Mike Green or John Carlson for years would be a dream .. you win Stanley Cups with guys like Tinordi paired with your all-star offensive defenseman ..

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
Mediocre all around in terms of individual skills. He's decent defensively, but I personally dont think that makes up for the lack of hands, average skating ability and nonexistent offensive ability.

All he has is size and apparently leadership ability.

He should have been a mid 2nd rounder at best, imo

Darn!

I knew I shouldn't have read all of those so-called professional scouting agencies and prospect evaluators.

Darn that TSN! Darn that THN! Darn that Central Scouting! Darn all those other guys!

They know crud!

Next year, can I get a hold of you for your evaluations? I'd really appreciate it!!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad