LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Probably depends who has the #3 pick. Could very well opt for either Cozens or Darch if they need a C. Likely have those 3 guys in the mix from the 3-5 spots. With Russian winger Podkolzin having shot to crack the top 5.

If any of the bottom teams hold the #3 pick who would they take?

LA - with Vilardi's back issues, likely take a C
Chi - I think they go C here despite Keith/Seabrook getting older. Think they have some solid D men in the system, but nothing like those 2 guys
Col - they take a C with Ottawa's pick
Det - I think they go C here.
Phi - I think they also go C. Have a lot of young Dmen in the system
NJ - I imagine they go C here. Zacha not living up to expectations.

I don't really think your list makes much sense at all. For example...

LA- They are basically just starting a rebuild and could pick anyone. Probably whomever they have as BPA, don't see them picking for need.
Chicago- I think they would lean C as they just drafted Boqvist and Jokiharju has broken out this year.
Colorado- I think they definitely lean towards taking a center or possibly Podkolzin.
Detroit- Similar to LA they need everything and likely take whomever they have as BPA.
Philly- They almost certainly take a forward.
NJ- I think NJ takes Byram. We have a huge need for top pair Dmen and even though 2C is a need that's easier to fill via FA, trade, etc.

Basically, I think NJ would almost certainly take Byram at 3-5 (depending on where they pick), but can also see LA/Detroit taking him. It's possible that he drops a bit though. For example if NJ and either LA/Det get the top 2 picks Byram likely drops as the other teams want a forward.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
There's just no way in my mind, with the offensive and defensive clinic he's putting up right now, that he's not drafted in the top-5. I mean, I like Podkolzin, Boldy and all, but when you can draft a top-end defense prospect that's BPA after Kakko and Hughes are off the board, you just do, team needs be damned.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Saw a few Giants games this past month and I’m absolutely sold on Byram. He’s very smooth at both ends and has been one of the Giants’s best players. Would love it if the Canucks could grab him.

I can 100% see a scenario where the Canucks trade up to get Byram.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Saw a few Giants games this past month and I’m absolutely sold on Byram. He’s very smooth at both ends and has been one of the Giants’s best players. Would love it if the Canucks could grab him.
i would be so f***ing happy if we got him

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm warming up to Byram.

With what little I've seen, he does look like the best defenseman in the draft.

I think my biggest issue is he needs to learn to settle down. He makes a lot of rough pinches that he thinks he can overcome/recover from with his great skating.

In some ways, he reminds me of a young Jake Muzzin, who made a lot of mistakes, but it was the experience of making those mistakes that helped him grow as a professional.

He definitely has top pairing upside. He has a set of tools that just put him a tier above the WHL competition with his skating, physical ability, and puck control/movement.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think Canucks will get him. Makes too much sense - having a fwd core of Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson and Hughes-Byram-Woo sets them up for a long time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There's just no way in my mind, with the offensive and defensive clinic he's putting up right now, that he's not drafted in the top-5. I mean, I like Podkolzin, Boldy and all, but when you can draft a top-end defense prospect that's BPA after Kakko and Hughes are off the board, you just do, team needs be damned.

Pretty much this as Byram's across the board skillset is something every team in the NHL needs.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Oil cant nab Hughes,Kakko,Cozens, or Dach then Byram is the obvious choice. He's so good in all situations. If we didn't need forwards so badly, id have him 3rd on my list.

If we go BPA then it's gotta be Byram after Hughes/Kakko

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Oil cant nab Hughes,Kakko,Cozens, or Dach then Byram is the obvious choice. He's so good in all situations. If we didn't need forwards so badly, id have him 3rd on my list.

I don't see Hughes as a great fit with the Oilers and think the other 4 guys as better fits for the Oilers and not a huge enough dropoff to be forced to "take the best player available" in Hughes.

But who knows maybe Hughes with RNH would give the Oilers a 1-2 line like the Pens have for teams to deal with.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Could he challenge for first overall if he keeps this up?

Just incredible what he is doing right now!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Byram after Kakko. Hughes I would take 3rd

Reactions: ginner classic

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I don't really think your list makes much sense at all. For example...

LA- They are basically just starting a rebuild and could pick anyone. Probably whomever they have as BPA, don't see them picking for need.
Chicago- I think they would lean C as they just drafted Boqvist and Jokiharju has broken out this year.
Colorado- I think they definitely lean towards taking a center or possibly Podkolzin.
Detroit- Similar to LA they need everything and likely take whomever they have as BPA.
Philly- They almost certainly take a forward.
NJ- I think NJ takes Byram. We have a huge need for top pair Dmen and even though 2C is a need that's easier to fill via FA, trade, etc.

Basically, I think NJ would almost certainly take Byram at 3-5 (depending on where they pick), but can also see LA/Detroit taking him. It's possible that he drops a bit though. For example if NJ and either LA/Det get the top 2 picks Byram likely drops as the other teams want a forward.

I agree no team should be picking for need but...
With Kopitar, Kempe and possibly Kupari playing center... a pick for a C is not a huge need right now for the Kings. Kings are starved for goals and top end talent on the wings, Kakko\Pods would be what this team needs. Byram if available might be the logical pick over Dach\Cozens to shore up our D for the next gen. Interesting to see how this plays out.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Could he challenge for first overall if he keeps this up?

Just incredible what he is doing right now!
Absolutely not. Hes arguably the best defensemen in this class next to Soderstrom but no ones picking him over Hughes or Kakko. Of course the outlook could change in a couple of years.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Absolutely not. Hes arguably the best defensemen in this class next to Soderstrom but no ones picking him over Hughes or Kakko. Of course the outlook could change in a couple of years.
Arguably best defenseman? I don’t think it’s any question he’s easily the best defenseman in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad