LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I had it Dahlin, Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist at the top.

I think Byram sits in that Dobson-Hughes range. So probably in the 6th-8th overall range for me.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He absolutely is not better than Hughes and to suggest he is better in almost every aspect is lunacy.

He's not as good of a skater or at QBing a PP but he's not much worse at either and significantly better defensively, physically and on the PK. He is a far better all around dman. Plays with an edge and can put up points all the same. I'd take Byram over Hughes right now and going forwards. Byram will be an all around minute muncher in the NHL. Hughes will be an offensively gifted defencemen who ill put up points. Give me the all around guy everyday and twice on sundays.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
My rankings I believe going into the draft we’re Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes and Bouchard.

Based on where I had those guys pre-draft and excluding what they’ve done this season and taking into account what Byram has done in his draft season, I’d have him ranked as my #2 defenceman behind Dobson. (Well technically #3, behind Dahlin and Dobson but #2 in this list).

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Seen both live several times and I would take Byram over Hughes if they were both in this years draft due to his amazing hockey sense,better all around game and more projectable size.Like another poster stated,Hughes might end up a second pairing guy who needs to be somewhat sheltered at ES but is an O-zone and PP beast while Byram should be a top pairing defender who can play in all situations and excel while getting slightly fewer points.
I also wanted Dobson at the draft for the same reasons but am still excited to have Hughes as a Canuck and think he will still be a great player but a bit more limited.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've said this in a thread here before. I think after Dahlin last year, all the D had high potential to fill a good niche. Hughes as the offensive guy, Bouchard a PP cannon, Dobson a shutdown D etc. But none of those guys games were well rounded enough to scream number one D. Hughes and Bouchard struggle defensively, I dont think Dobson will produce enough to be considered an all situations number one D.

All of these guys might be better at their respective niches but Byram is probably the most well rounded of them all and likely to be an all situations top pairing dman because of it.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Tough to say, I’m a big Byram fan, his two-way game is very good, but that incredibly offensive ability of Hughes might have me take him over Byram. Also, Dobson and him would be a tough choice for me too... brain.exe stopped working

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I saw Byram play in October and last week. He has made immense strides. He was all over the ice and a dangerous force everytime he touched the puck. It was incredibly impressive. He never shirked defensive responsibilities at any time either.

Whoever drafts him should be ecstatic.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think Byram is very underrated. For me I can’t decide if I have him at 2 or 3.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think Byram is very underrated. For me I can’t decide if I have him at 2 or 3.
I don’t know about “very underrated”, most have him in the short list for the five or six guys competing for spots 3-5. What I can’t stand is people suggesting he’s only getting hyped up because it’s a shallow class of defensemen.

Although the guy in the other thread violently espousing “ARE YOU KIDDING ME HE’S NOWHERE NEAR Q. HUGHES” was a good laugh. At this point, Byram over Hughes every time.

Last edited:

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
I saw Byram play in October and last week. He has made immense strides. He was all over the ice and a dangerous force everytime he touched the puck. It was incredibly impressive. He never shirked defensive responsibilities at any time either.

Whoever drafts him should be ecstatic.
I can second that, seem him three times, once each in November, January, and February and he has looked significantly better each time.

Reactions: clydesdale line
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad