LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yeah I'd say Byram is elite. He keeps his hot streak going by one man showing tonight in a OT win with the GWG and is now above ppg. 15 goals for a draft eligible dman is pretty special with the year not close to over

Not to mention that he is one of the youngest in his draft year.

If he finishes strong he will have a similar offensive season to provorov's draft + 1 season.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I can't believe how low he is in every ranking. Even more bonkers is the fact that some don't have him as the top ranked defenseman.

If the Blues end up with a top 10 pick I would be praying that he fell to them. Even if he "fell" to something like 5th.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

That pass off the boards to go around the defender. I think is way more impressive than either goal.
QONVIyz.gif

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah if someone doesn't have him as their top dman something is wrong as to me he's above Provorov and on Jones level. His confidence offensively has really taken off where he's joining the rush like Makar does but is much better in his own end as well as being a physical force

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Bowen Byram is by far the best defenseman in this year's draft in my opinion (and exactly the LHD the Montreal Canadiens' prospect pool needs, but won't get, also my favorite prospect in this year's draft). His gap control, stick check and defensive positioning are exquisite, to go along his strong skillset offensively, nice arsenal of shots, sky-high hockey IQ, good strength and size, and great overall skating ability. Put simply, Bowen is a well-rounded bluechip prospect and the team that gets him is damn lucky.

After all is said and done, I'd be shocked if Byram doesn't end up becoming a top-pairing defenseman in the NHL one day and as for top-end potential goes, the sky is the limit with this kid.

Would absolutely love to grab him

Reactions: HOPE

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah if someone doesn't have him as their top dman something is wrong as to me he's above Provorov and on Jones level. His confidence offensively has really taken off where he's joining the rush like Makar does but is much better in his own end as well as being a physical force

He may be close with Provorov but I don't think he is on Jones' level as a prospect.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Scored again tonight vs Moose Jaw

No chance he goes out of top 7
I’d hazard top-5. Sure there are tons of those all-important top C’s available, but there are zero blemishes on his game. Lots of room for improvement, too, and I mean that in the best way. He’s like a better-defensive Cale Makar.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I’d hazard top-5. Sure there are tons of those all-important top C’s available, but there are zero blemishes on his game. Lots of room for improvement, too, and I mean that in the best way. He’s like a better-defensive Cale Makar.

Not sure i see Makar at all in his game. Cant skate as dynamically as Makar.

Having had the chance to see him maybe 8-10x live this season since he plays in Vancouver id compare his game most to Ryan Suter

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure i see Makar at all in his game. Cant skate as dynamically as Makar.

Having had the chance to see him maybe 8-10x live this season since he plays in Vancouver id compare his game most to Ryan Suter

I think he is a Josh Morrissey clone. Skates well, not amazing but very well, very high IQ, great defensive stickwork, physical and plays with an edge. Can QB a PP and PK really well. Can log a tonne of minutes and because of his smarts can play any role you give him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
nah apparantly we'd rather get knock in the first round of the playoffs. Smh.

Lmao, how dare these professionals try and win games they play in.....dont they know they can lose and have a high pick and have a younger prospect take their spot and job.

Reactions: Vachon23

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Lmao, how dare these professionals try and win games they play in.....dont they know they can lose and have a high pick and have a younger prospect take their spot and job.
oh i'm not talking about the players. When Bergevin is your GM you get pretty anxious, he's capable of the best and worst. Of course players will give their absolute best for winning and im up for that. But if you were Montreals GM with this actual core and prospect pool, do you think trading performing aging Vets that doesn't have much term left for quality young assets is a good idea, or you would rather trade young quality assets for a performing aging Vet and get destroyed in the first round by the lightning?

I'm an obvious believer in option 1 where you get some quality assets for guys who are playing good but will likely not be there when you're actually relevant, This options also gives you good chances at players like Byram. isn't that a win-win future situation?

oh and i'm realy afraid option B is a huge possibility for Bergevin when he's in contention for that little Wild card spot.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he is a Josh Morrissey clone. Skates well, not amazing but very well, very high IQ, great defensive stickwork, physical and plays with an edge. Can QB a PP and PK really well. Can log a tonne of minutes and because of his smarts can play any role you give him.

This description is very good. There might be other Dmen in this draft that can do one or two things better but no one combines his across the board level of skills.

To me he is what Ryan Murray could have become (without the injuries) but with more intensity and more offense.

The team that drafts him this summer is going to be extremely happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he found his way into the top 3 given the lack of high end defenders this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad