LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Whatever happens not too worried. Quinn and Cale didn’t play in the NHL in their Draft+1 and it didn’t hurt them. Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard...none played past their 9 games. It takes a freak like Dahlin or Heiskinen. Play the 9 games out and if he’s obviously not ready, back to Vancouver he goes. Nothing changes with his upside.

Heiskanen didnt even play on his draft +1

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I stand corrected on Miro but that’s beside the point. Asking an 18 year old defender to excel in the NHL is a gargantuan task. It’s much easier to shelter or hide a young forward.

Heck we are two games into pre-season so even though the first two games have been a bit...realistic (again “underwhelming” is not the right word here if you are framing the argument appropriately), there’s still some time to show something. He certainly looked a different class against other prospects earlier this off season. If everything we though we saw after two pre season games were true, the NHL would be a radically different place than what it is. I’m not saying I expect Byram to suddenly start bossing NHLers but let’s see a bit more before we have Canucks fans inundating this the thread with not so subtle passive aggressive jabs about how amazing Podkolzin has been in his 30 seconds of KHL shifts this season.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
He is much stronger than a lot of kids his age in the WHL. We see it all the time with kids being drafted in the CHL who dominate at that level due to their size or strength. Not saying this is true for every kid, but with D especially I prefer seeing them in Europe, or college. I kind of wish the age for drafting was moved up to 19. Would be a lot fewer busts if we saw players in a more size balanced situation.

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Whatever happens not too worried. Quinn and Cale didn’t play in the NHL in their Draft+1 and it didn’t hurt them. Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard...none played past their 9 games. It takes a freak like Dahlin or Heiskinen. Play the 9 games out and if he’s obviously not ready, back to Vancouver he goes. Nothing changes with his upside.
Heiskanen didn't play in his D+1 year either. Byram will be a stud.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Actually Quinn played 5/games and in such a small sample size the eye test and analytics were exciting.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So everyone is gushing about Makar, but condemning Byram ?

Makar 4oa, early BDay, took two years in NCAA after being drafted before playing in NHL.

Byram, 4oa, late Bday(8 mos younger than Makar when drafted), playing in some preseason NHL games 3 mos after being drafted.

How about a bit of perspective? Let the kid play a year of juniors, at least.
People are shitposting, which is par for the course on this subforum.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
There is a really damn long list of pretty amazing players that had awful camps in their first year drafted and returned the next year or two and looked like a different player. Marner and Pettersson are pretty good examples of players that looked totally over matched by the NHL in their first camps, went away and developed for a year and things seem to have turned out alright.

Reactions: Dominance

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
There is a really damn long list of pretty amazing players that had awful camps in their first year drafted and returned the next year or two and looked like a different player. Marner and Pettersson are pretty good examples of players that looked totally over matched by the NHL in their first camps, went away and developed for a year and things seem to have turned out alright.
Byram isn't even having an awful camp. He's made some mistakes but mostly he has looked good considering his age.

Reactions: Dominance

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
The physical and technical tools are obviously there for Byram. He mostly needs to get used to processing the game at the quicker pace of the NHL - I totally see where @Zaddy is coming from in that sense. There is a question of whether his slow decision-making is a result of it not being a big problem at the junior level, or if it's something he generally struggles with. Not too worried about it given his age, and hopefully the taste of the pros will expedite development in that area even as he plays in the Dub.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He didn't have an awful camp. Dear God do people go off the rails sometimes. He is an 18 year old D, anyone who thought he would dominate against grown men was out of touch. As I said before he was drafted, his potential is excellent, but he still has things he needs to work on in the NHL.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He didn't have an awful camp. Dear God do people go off the rails sometimes. He is an 18 year old D, anyone who thought he would dominate against grown men was out of touch. As I said before he was drafted, his potential is excellent, but he still has things he needs to work on in the NHL.
Take it down a notch there lol I literally didnt say he had an awful camp. If you actually read what I said I basically said exactly what you just said...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Byram isn't even having an awful camp. He's made some mistakes but mostly he has looked good considering his age.
Between the rookie camp in Anaheim and a couple preseason games I've seen of him, Byram showed a lot of potential but to me he struck me as a guy who isn't quite ready. He had a lot of flashes of pure brilliance but also plenty of moments and stretches where he was pretty ineffective. I don't imagine he'll need more than this year of development, but it doesn't surprise me to see him sent down.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Are the Giants trying to compete for the WHL title/Mem Cup this year or is there a chance they may look to deal Byram for a million picks later in the season?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are the Giants trying to compete for the WHL title/Mem Cup this year or is there a chance they may look to deal Byram for a million picks later in the season?
Giants now with Byram will have a extremely good team this year. Sure they lost some veterans, but some of their best players were rookies last year and are draft eligible this year (meaning they have something to prove).

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The physical and technical tools are obviously there for Byram. He mostly needs to get used to processing the game at the quicker pace of the NHL - I totally see where @Zaddy is coming from in that sense. There is a question of whether his slow decision-making is a result of it not being a big problem at the junior level, or if it's something he generally struggles with. Not too worried about it given his age, and hopefully the taste of the pros will expedite development in that area even as he plays in the Dub.

And how is he going to do that in the WHL?

He needs to go to the NCAA like Makar did. Too late for him to enroll somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad