LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL) Part 2

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I went on YouTube to watch his hilights and came away noticing something. Watch his goals, they’re all wrist shots, all similar him doing toe drags and skating circles around whl competition. He’s an incredible skater, just not sure how he scores his goals will translate to scoring lots in the bigs. I’m not saying he’s bad at all, he’s very skilled. I just don’t imagine he will be scoring as much with better talent rushing him. I see a lot of assists, good defence and a good guy on the half wall on the power play. He doesn’t have a great slap shot to man the top of the power play. I’ve seen him in Kelowna a couple times and didn’t really notice him offensively either which led me to watching hilights. I know it’s not a perfect measuring stick but hope someone could come chime in if I’m completely off my rocker. Thanks.

I think it's a good insight. There were a couple Avs fans who watched him fairly extensively before the draft and warned his goal scoring wouldn't translate to the NHL -- especially against NHL goaltenders. It's very much junior-style goal scoring, was essentially the take. It certainly puts a cap on his offensive upside. I guess the good news for the Avs (and Byram, perhaps) is that Makar already occupies that goal-scoring role on the Avs' back end...as said above, they really just need him to be a quality-defensively top pairing defensman. I think that (work on defensive details) was essentially the advice from the Avs when they sent him back to the Giants.

This is something I pointed out a lot last year. He plays like a forward on the man advantage, he isn't a PPQB with a booming shot from the blueline. He's more of a finesse type player. I do think he'll still score those type of goals in the NHL, just not as frequent. I think he could be a Roman Josi type player if he develops properly.
It might make him a more erratic goal scorer. But, look at how someone like Zach Werenski scores most of his goals, and he's been the 3rd best goal-scoring defender since he entered the league. The idea you need someone like MacInnis or Weber tee-ing it up to rack up goals currently isn't the case.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
It might make him a more erratic goal scorer. But, look at how someone like Zach Werenski scores most of his goals, and he's been the 3rd best goal-scoring defender since he entered the league. The idea you need someone like MacInnis or Weber tee-ing it up to rack up goals currently isn't the case.
They don't even need to look further than the guy already playing on the Avalanche in Makar.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Is the expectation that he'll be ready for the Avs next season, or is it conceivable that he'd need yet another season in the WHL?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is the expectation that he'll be ready for the Avs next season, or is it conceivable that he'd need yet another season in the WHL?
I don’t see Byram responding well to being sent back to the Dub for another year. He’ll do everything in his power to grab a third pairing role, if nothing else.

As it stands, a decent chunk of Avs fans think Sakic will trade Zadorov this offseason either before or at the draft, so that should open up a spot for Byram if Sakic doesn’t go for an UFA defenseman.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

He's more than likely going to make it. He'd have to screw up real bad in September to force the Avs to release him to the WHL for the entire year. My money is on Byram making the Avs well before Timmins does.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Tough to say. The Avs have a deep group of NHL Dmen at least right now and at the moment no indication that any of those guys will be leaving the team for next year.

Makar, Girard, Johnson, Cole, Zadorov, and Graves... they're all signed through next year or are RFAs so unless one of them gets traded we have the same 6 guys for next year.

The only guy who could be traded IMO is Zadorov and if I were to guess I think he does get traded. But I also think the Avs will look to bring in a veteran Dman in free agency as well so who knows.

I dont think he will have a spot guaranteed for him by any means. But if he comes into camp and plays really well I suspect it wont be too difficult for him to earn a spot as the 3LD behind Girard and Graves either.

If he doesn't earn a spot, they probably do with him what they are doing now with Timmins. A full year in the AHL getting significant minutes and PP time so he can adjust to NHL size forecheckers rather than junior guys. If that's an option anyway. I'm not sure how the age restrictions work so maybe it's still either NHL or WHL again for him next year.

I dont see him being back with the Giants however.

Reactions: wetcoast

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Tough to say. The Avs have a deep group of NHL Dmen at least right now and at the moment no indication that any of those guys will be leaving the team for next year.

Makar, Girard, Johnson, Cole, Zadorov, and Graves... they're all signed through next year or are RFAs so unless one of them gets traded we have the same 6 guys for next year.

The only guy who could be traded IMO is Zadorov and if I were to guess I think he does get traded. But I also think the Avs will look to bring in a veteran Dman in free agency as well so who knows.

I dont think he will have a spot guaranteed for him by any means. But if he comes into camp and plays really well I suspect it wont be too difficult for him to earn a spot as the 3LD behind Girard and Graves either.

If he doesn't earn a spot, they probably do with him what they are doing now with Timmins. A full year in the AHL getting significant minutes and PP time so he can adjust to NHL size forecheckers rather than junior guys. If that's an option anyway. I'm not sure how the age restrictions work so maybe it's still either NHL or WHL again for him next year.

I think that is the crux of the issue. My understanding is that he will not be eligible to play in the AHL next year. So he either plays in the WHL or with the Colorado Avalanche.

Reactions: Dominance

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Pretty sure the AHL isn't an option for Byram even next season. He'd have to be 20 or complete four years in the major juniors.

upload_2020-2-27_11-51-42.png

How Does The NHL-CHL Agreement work?

Unless I'm missing something Byram's only options next season are NHL or another, I wouldn't call it completely wasted, year in the WHL. That's why my money is on the Avs keeping him in October. Once he's sent down they can't recall him all year. He'd have to really screw the pooch in training camp for them to send him down again.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn’t want my top 5 pick spending a year in the AHL anyway. The track record there is...not good. The best case scenario is if he gets a few games with the Eagles this spring which I think will help set him up for NHL time in the fall.

Timmins is unfortunately now subject to scraping and clawing for a call up just like everyone else who gets sent there. Some comments to the Athletic about following the Ryan Graves path (which he literally cant do) mean they aren’t fast tracking him. Forcing the Avs to make a decision with Byram is probably best. Not like he couldn’t go to WJC, get a BS 2 week AHL conditioning if they really tried, etc. But Avs generally don’t play those cards. They played Sam Girard at 19, Byram will be just as ready and be fine to start with a small role and go from there. They knew it when they drafted this guy he was going to need NHL time sooner than later and he can directly help ease the transition from EJ.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder how long the narrative on these main boards and trade threads will continue that he's having a "disappointing season"?

The Giants are also scoring as a team at a lower rate this year compared to last. They're at 3.03 G/Game this year versus a 3.35 G/Game pace last year. So Byram is more productive on a less offensive team this season.

Both of the Avs 1st round picks last year are looking very strong in their D+1 years.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wonder how long the narrative on these main boards and trade threads will continue that he's having a "disappointing season"?

The Giants are also scoring as a team at a lower rate this year compared to last. They're at 3.03 G/Game this year versus a 3.35 G/Game pace last year. So Byram is more productive on a less offensive team this season.

Both of the Avs 1st round picks last year are looking very strong in their D+1 years.
This is not very strong D+1 season for a top 5 pick. If he was selected in the 20-31 range, then yes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is not very strong D+1 season for a top 5 pick. If he was selected in the 20-31 range, then yes.
LOL What?

Byram is scoring more points than he did at this point last season on a team only scoring 92% as much as last season while very clearly being a completely different tier better defensively.

In what way is this not a strong D+1 season?

[MOD]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad