LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL) Part 2

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I think the disappointment of being cut by the Avs during pre-season hit him pretty hard and he sulked a bit going back to the Giants. Then he got himself a bit of a reset mentally with the WJC where he put on a good showing. Since coming back from there he's upped his game in a big way.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think the disappointment of being cut by the Avs during pre-season hit him pretty hard and he sulked a bit going back to the Giants. Then he got himself a bit of a reset mentally with the WJC where he put on a good showing. Since coming back from there he's upped his game in a big way.
Lol i think you just completely made up a mental evaluation out of thin air.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lol i think you just completely made up a mental evaluation out of thin air.
This exact mental evaluation has been pointed out by several WHL scouts and media members. Apparently it is true and he struggled a lot early on by being very down on himself. He clearly elevates his game on confidence and he was definitely lacking that in October.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This exact mental evaluation has been pointed out by several WHL scouts and media members. Apparently it is true and he struggled a lot early on by being very down on himself. He clearly elevates his game on confidence and he was definitely lacking that in October.
Fair enough

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I wonder if this recent streak will slow down trade proposals for 29+ year old 60 pt players...

Giants play again tonight, stay tuned.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It was a mix of 3 things. Said down confidence, Giants as a whole not playing good and he had 2 minor injuries before wjcs he was playing through.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
45 games in and Byram has caught up to his point production from last year.

GPGoalsAssistsPoints
18-1945162743
19-2045103343
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Due to the WCJs Byram has 11 less games remaining on his schedule than he did last year at this point. So I seriously doubt he matches the remaining 10 goals 11 assists down the stretch to match his regular season totals last season. But he does have 12 games left, maybe if he keep rolling like this he can make it close.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It was a mix of 3 things. Said down confidence, Giants as a whole not playing good and he had 2 minor injuries before wjcs he was playing through.
Yeah, the whole team struggled to meet expectations after the WHL finals appearance and then with the turnover going into the year. Their power play was awful and dragged team scoring down too. They made a lot of trades to bring some new faces in and finally got the right mix, when Byram returned from the WJC he was what was needed to bring it all together. So it is part him playing relaxed and confident and also the team responding. I also feel that the WJC was a lot of pressure on him too and once that was over he could focus on just one thing.

His game on Friday against Calgary was one of the best games I’ve seen him play. Special players an elevate at critical moments and he did that.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I went on YouTube to watch his hilights and came away noticing something. Watch his goals, they’re all wrist shots, all similar him doing toe drags and skating circles around whl competition. He’s an incredible skater, just not sure how he scores his goals will translate to scoring lots in the bigs. I’m not saying he’s bad at all, he’s very skilled. I just don’t imagine he will be scoring as much with better talent rushing him. I see a lot of assists, good defence and a good guy on the half wall on the power play. He doesn’t have a great slap shot to man the top of the power play. I’ve seen him in Kelowna a couple times and didn’t really notice him offensively either which led me to watching hilights. I know it’s not a perfect measuring stick but hope someone could come chime in if I’m completely off my rocker. Thanks.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I went on YouTube to watch his hilights and came away noticing something. Watch his goals, they’re all wrist shots, all similar him doing toe drags and skating circles around whl competition. He’s an incredible skater, just not sure how he scores his goals will translate to scoring lots in the bigs. I’m not saying he’s bad at all, he’s very skilled. I just don’t imagine he will be scoring as much with better talent rushing him. I see a lot of assists, good defence and a good guy on the half wall on the power play. He doesn’t have a great slap shot to man the top of the power play. I’ve seen him in Kelowna a couple times and didn’t really notice him offensively either which led me to watching hilights. I know it’s not a perfect measuring stick but hope someone could come chime in if I’m completely off my rocker. Thanks.
No one’s expecting him to score 20 goals or 70 points in the NHL. He was drafted to be a mobile top pair guy who can defend this new wave of burners, move the puck quickly and accurately, and have above-average dynamism to open things up in transition and the offensive zone. And that’s exactly what he’s tracking to become.

Basically, your assessment isn’t off, it just isn’t demonstrative of any problem.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I notice it too and I’m an Avs fan and a huge Byram fanboy. The way he scores goals is very similar to how Juolevi scores goals in London. Fortunately Byram does it better (and everything else better too) but his goal scoring doesn’t exactly come from his ability to get in those areas, it comes from his willingness to go to those areas because of his confidence.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In Todays NHL a big booming Slapshot means almost nothing and adds no value really.

If anything I think his ability to score with a wrister is a good sign. Especially the ability to release it quickly and change the angle with quick stick work like he does on the toe drag.

Look at the way Cale Makar is scoring all his goals in the NHL. I'm not sure he's scored even one goal this year off a big booming slapshot. It's all about worst shots and getting them through traffic on net.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I think it's a good insight. There were a couple Avs fans who watched him fairly extensively before the draft and warned his goal scoring wouldn't translate to the NHL -- especially against NHL goaltenders. It's very much junior-style goal scoring, was essentially the take. It certainly puts a cap on his offensive upside. I guess the good news for the Avs (and Byram, perhaps) is that Makar already occupies that goal-scoring role on the Avs' back end...as said above, they really just need him to be a quality-defensively top pairing defensman. I think that (work on defensive details) was essentially the advice from the Avs when they sent him back to the Giants.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

This is something I pointed out a lot last year. He plays like a forward on the man advantage, he isn't a PPQB with a booming shot from the blueline. He's more of a finesse type player. I do think he'll still score those type of goals in the NHL, just not as frequent. I think he could be a Roman Josi type player if he develops properly.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad