LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL) Part 2

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This thread confirms that there are way too many people on this board who clearly do not know what they're talking about. Or they're just lying for some pointless purpose that is just sad.

Reactions: Dominance

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is not very strong D+1 season for a top 5 pick. If he was selected in the 20-31 range, then yes.

I guess you found Provorov's and Sergachev's +1 season a disappointment too, eh? Both definitely should've been selected in the 20-31 range based off that D+1 season.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’ve always compared Byram to another fourth overall pick in Pietrangelo. 40ish points with strong defence is what I expect from Byram, especially with Makar in town to take the prime offensive minutes away.

His offence this year has been exactly what I expected, he’s not an offensive dynamo he’s much more of a two way guy. He’s also clearly a second half of the year player after the last two seasons.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Unless he wins CHL dman of the year in his d+1 season then smith>byram

:nod:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Byram is the real deal, his recent production is not a surprise. I think there is a near obsession on this site that player development goes at a pace that is robotically consistent when in reality teenagers have ups and downs. I think more people should remember that.

I am a Royals fan, we will play against Byram and the Giants in round 1.

Not looking forward to that fact.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes, they were given their draft seasons. Neither has lit the NHL up offensively as defensmen as well.

Well thanks for explaining how pointless this discussion is, since apparently the only thing that matters is point production for defenseman.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Not trolling, I was heavily disappointed with Ty Smith's start to the season hovering just under a PPG. Even still I wish he had a larger jump in PPG from last season. If you are happy with Byram's stats, good for you?

This is funny considering Ty Smith had an 8 point game the other night..

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well thanks for explaining how pointless this discussion is, since apparently the only thing that matters is point production for defenseman.
It's not the only thing but it is a good indicator what sort of offensive production one can project at the NHL level. Without great strides Byram won't be known at the NHL level for his defense.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You mean the WJC where he was Canada's #1Dman as an 18 year old over a full roster of 19 year old Dmen?

Like I said, your attempts at trolling are pretty flat here.
He played #1 minutes, he was not Canada's #1 defensmen. He was a disaster in his own end and showed tunnel vision with the puck. His skillset is tremendous but his IQ is clearly lacking.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not falling for this troll nonsense
Common, 2 points in 7 games and even +- on Canada. What makes you think he played well? Drysdale and Addison at the very least were better than him. Smith and Bernard-Docker were probably better than him. I had him slightly ahead of Bahl but miles ahead of McIssac.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Common, 2 points in 7 games and even +- on Canada. What makes you think he played well? Drysdale and Addison at the very least were better than him. Smith and Bernard-Docker were probably better than him. I had him slightly ahead of Bahl but miles ahead of McIssac.
Drysdale and Addison were indeed better than Byram, but Byram was the third best defenceman on the team without a doubt IMO. Plus he played the most minutes and played a shutdown role, which he isn't suited for. If I recall correctly he had fewer offensive zones starts than most of the other guys.
I expect a lot more next years tourney, but given the role he was in, he was very good this year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Here I go falling for the troll and responding again...

Dryadale was the 7th Dman. He looked good in his very limited role but to say he was better than anyone aside from MacIsaac who was just awful, isnt accurate at all. If he had the minutes of the other guys he definitely would have struggled with them.

You're using points and +/- for your argument. Right away it's a piss poor argument.

Byram was used as the top PKer, he wa the one the coaching staff relied on a tonne defensively when the games mattered and as the tournament went on he got better and better and played more and more minutes.

Just because he didn't get a huge production boost by playing Top PP with Lafrenniere and Hayton like Addison did doesnt mean Addison was better :laugh:

I was critical of him in the 1st Russian game in the round Robin. But after that game onward he was absolutely Canada's best Dman. Simple as that really.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jason MacIsaac is either a troll or one of the biggest morons on these boards.

Thought he got it out of his system after spending the entire WJCs trashing Canada's best defenseman.
Name calling, thanks brah. You're right, it has to be only those two opinions. It couldn't be that Byram certainly wasn't Canada's best defensmen. The only argument anyone has is that Hunter used him a lot. I guess old school dinosaurs like Hunter haven't used Jack Johnson a lot at the NHL level. Either way, it's unfortunate that Iceberg Sports weren't tracking stats like they were in 2018-19 because it would be evidently clear he was no good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad