LD Ben Hutton (2012, 147th, VAN)

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I thought I'd start a much-deserved thread for this unknown.

Hutton had 15 points in 34 games in his freshman season along with an even +/- on a poor Maine team.

This season, he has 12 points and 7 goals in a mere 13 1/2 games.

Along with his great offensive instincts, he is a very solid defender, scoring 2 goals himself along with shutting down the great Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau once this season.

This kid could be a top pairing defenseman if it all pans out, and Canucks fans should be excited about him.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Would love to hear more info on this guy from people that have seen him play hard to find good reports and stat watching can only tell you so much

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'll admit I know almost nothing about him. Probably the least knowledge about him than any of the other Canuck prospects.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Maine coach Red Gendron on Ben Hutton from 11/11 and 11/25:
“He has played really well,†said Maine coach Red Gendron. “He has a highly developed game. He has started to assert himself. With his maturity and this being his second season, he is starting to feel it and knows he can [play at a high level].â€

“He’s a good skater but, mostly, he has a feel for the game,†he said. “He can escape pressure. By subtly changing the position of the puck in relation to his body, he creates the space to make a play.â€
“Great players make plays,†Gendron said. “[Hutton] scores a couple of goals tonight and does a lot of other really good things – he’s a special player.
Hutton gets shots to the net and is asked to play in all situations. I'd say probably half his goals are on the power play, with at least one more coming after a penalty expired vs BC. I also read that he worked with a new trainer over the summer to get stronger, focusing on his lower body to get faster.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Maine coach Red Gendron on Ben Hutton from 11/11 and 11/25:
Hutton gets shots to the net and is asked to play in all situations. I'd say probably half his goals are on the power play, with at least one more coming after a penalty expired vs BC. I also read that he worked with a new trainer over the summer to get stronger, focusing on his lower body to get faster.

Have you seen him play much or do you just follow college hockey in general? Would be great to find someone who watches Maine more frequently. I'm watching today's game and I saw one of their first games.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Have you seen him play much or do you just follow college hockey in general? Would be great to find someone who watches Maine more frequently. I'm watching today's game and I saw one of their first games.
I follow NCAA and HE as a BU alum, so sorry, I'm not your go-to Maine guy. However, I have seen Hutton play probably over a half-dozen times now between college hockey on NBCSN, CBSSN, FCS, NESN, etc.

Ean11

Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver
I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and Hutton more so now. I knew he was in the system, just didn't know much about him

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Looking like a promising, under-the-radar pick, which is nice. I'd like to see him turn pro after this season and see what he can do in the AHL.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
have seen him a few times. he never really pops off the screen with anything but he plays a very mature game. There are times where he can slow the game down so much its incredible, I think he could fit into the Nhl as a #4 dman, just doesn't seem to have the skill level to be better, but a very good one. he actually reminds me a bit of Vlasic

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Ben Hutton makes SBnation's Hockey East midseason first team :)

Midseason Hockey East First Team

Forward: Johnny Gaudreau, Jr., Boston College
Forward: Ross Mauermann, Jr., Providence
Forward: Kevin Roy, Soph., Northeastern
Defense: Ben Hutton, Soph., Maine
Defense: Michael Matheson, Soph., Boston College
Goaltender: Jon Gillies, Soph., Providence

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/1/3/5238654/hockey-east-midseason-awards-johnny-gaudreau-kevin-hayes-nate-leaman-jim-madigan-mike-szmatula

Some very good company.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Last Saturday, Hutton played vs BU at Frozen Fenway. He scored on a seeing-eye wrister to make it 2-0 just seconds after an hour-long rain delay in the first period and later sealed the win with another goal and an uncredited assist on zone clears late in the third, both empty-netters.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Canucks have done a nice job with late round picks. Ontario scouts are finding some gems

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Ben Hutton (D) drafted 147th overall in 2012 is tearing up the NCAA at 20

20 pts in 24 games. This kid could be something. Very young and has great size too. Anyone seen him play?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
They tweeted saying he's tied Maine's goals in a season by a defenseman record with 13, has 2 games left to beat it

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This kid is turning heads this camp and preseason

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
I'm absolutely floored. This kid looks like a top pairing D out there. So calm and poised with the puck, silky smooth mitts, superb skating..I can't believe he's only 22 and in his first pro camp. What a beauty. Remember the name Ben Hutton folks:yo::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad