LD Ben Hutton (2012, 147th, VAN)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
CQk6gPNU8AAiYPg.jpg:large

Ben Hutton makes the team out of absolutely nowhere.

Not only that, in practice today he is on a line with Chris Tanev, what a opportunity

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Five points in seven pre-season games made it an easy decision.
Especially for a team that doesn't get much production from its defence.
He already looks like a vet back there skating the puck out of danger.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Looked really good in the games I watched. Happy for the kid, always nice to see late round picks making it to the big show :)

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Linden said that keeping Hutton in the lineup was the easiest decision.

Good for Ben, I hear from everyone that met him that he's a great guy. Happy that he's on the team. Well deserved.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ben Hutton listed in top pairing of NHL.com All-Calder Team

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784325&navid=DL|NHL|home

Ben Hutton - Colton Parayko

Griffin Reinhart - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Noah Hanifin - Klas Dahlbeck

Extra: Jake McCabe

Parayko (St. Louis Blues) and Hutton (Vancouver Canucks) have had surprisingly strong starts. Neither was expected to be on an NHL roster at this point in the season, but both had strong training camps and that solid play has extended into the regular season.

Hutton entered play Thursday averaging 18:49 of ice time through six games. Parayko is averaging 18:35 in seven games on a defense that also features Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester. He was elevated to a top-four role because of an injury to Kevin Shattenkirk. Both have three points.

Hutton has been a revaluation this year, should have 4 points btw, he got screwed off one, same with McCann.

Hutton is already our top 4 d-man pretty much, he is making sbisa look like an NHL 6th d-man. Should win the calder on that alone :laugh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
His poise with the puck, passing and hockey IQ are really something special. He makes plays out there that aren't just impressive by rookie standards but by any standard.

Looks like the Canucks got lucky with this one.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
His poise with the puck, passing and hockey IQ are really something special. He makes plays out there that aren't just impressive by rookie standards but by any standard.

Looks like the Canucks got lucky with this one.

I'm a Canucks fan and I think this is a pretty heavy overreaction. He looks like he belongs in the league, which is impressive for a guy first breaking in. But he has a long long way to go to prove that he could be anything more than a bottom pairing/depth guy on a strong D core.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm a Canucks fan and I think this is a pretty heavy overreaction. He looks like he belongs in the league, which is impressive for a guy first breaking in. But he has a long long way to go to prove that he could be anything more than a bottom pairing/depth guy on a strong D core.

Obviously, he has to consistently keep up this play. But, IMO, he's been our 2nd best Defenceman (next to Tanev), and there's reason to believe he can be more than a bottom pairing defenceman, because he has played like a top 4.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

What have you been watching? his passing alone has been incredible, his skating is top notch, and reads the play so well.

he already is our top 4 d-man pretty much, the kid came out of nowhere and is going t be in the NHL for a long long career

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

While homer fans tend to exaggerate both good and bad play, in this case, you are way off the mark...
Hutton has been as impressive a rookie as we've seen in Vancouver in a long, long time.

As a first yr pro, I'd say in my time as a Nucks fan, only Linden and Bure have showed better as rookies in Vancouver.

However 7-8 games means nothing. College players esp have shown they can wear down as the season progresses.

If this is a fluke, or a good run based on sky high confidence, we shall soon find out.

I think the kids the real deal though.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
Extremely tempted to get myself a Hutton jersey; kids looks like he'll be a rock on our back end for years to come (barring any unforeseen circumstances)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
4 points in 8 games for Hutton, love his poise and puck moving ability. He really should be playing on our first unit PP over Edler.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
100% staying after 9 games right?

He's 22. Can be assigned to Utica.

But definitely won't be. He's made some rookie mistakes here and there, but so far he's been our only dman who can consistently skate the puck out of trouble, pass the puck out of trouble, and actually make Sbisa not look terrible. He's been a really, really good find.

Definite keeper.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
There's no way he gets sent down.... he's been our second best defenseman by far. The fact Bartkowski is a healthy scratch says a lot

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Canucks have 3 top tier defenseman: Edler, Hamhuis and Tanev. Hutton has not only kept up with these players but he's equally impressive. In fact his passing and skating is probably better than any of the above mentioned players.

Not bad at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad