LD Ben Hutton (2012, 147th, VAN)

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
How can this kid be this good and seemingly appear out of thin air? He's already the best offensive defenseman in the Canucks organization.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
How can this kid be this good and seemingly appear out of thin air? He's already the best offensive defenseman in the Canucks organization.

He didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

Look at his season from 2 years ago.

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
Anyone who has followed Ben Hutton for a while now, especially in his Hobey Baker nomination year would understand the potential this kid has. There was no doubt in my mind he was/is our best defensive prospect, and now that he has the opportunity to show his skillset he's not putting it to waste, other than his first game where he seemed fairly uncomfortable, he's settled down very nicely.

The potential to be a Top-4 defenseman is definitely there, and I have always felt he had the tools to make the pro-game, but I never thought he'd translate them this quickly. Behind Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis, he's probably looking like our next best defenseman at the moment.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Hutton just seems to get better game by game he is really starting to turn heads in Canuckland. He has all the tools, size, skating,passing,shot,iq. He might just become one of those gems from the later rounds that people will say how in the hell did he get picked that late.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Well....He's not really out of thin air. I've been ranking him as our best defensive prospect for the past 2 years. It started out as tools, then he dominated in the NCAA and at the Canucks prospects scrimmage two years ago he was the best player on the ice imo. Everybody was high on Corrado, but Hutton was always going to be better. 6'3 can skate, shoot, pass and can see the ice real well. His poise has always stood out to me. That's why I had him so high.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Guys, I know Canucks fan nerds have had Hutton on their radar for the last two years. But look at this thread. Only two pages and most of the posts came in the last few days for a prospect drafted in 2012. That's out of nowhere for a prospect of this caliber. :yo:

I'm not complaining or *****ing. I'm more trying illuminate how amazing this is.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We were aware he was playing good in college, but Patrick Mcnally had similar numbers and apparently he wasn't that good, so our expectations wasn't that high.

It caught everyone kinda by surprised when he decided to leave college last year, instead of finishing. The fact that Benning believed he was already ready for the next level shows what was going on.

this kid has been very poised, kinda reminds me of when Edler was breaking in. but in the end I know he's going to start in Utica

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I know fans really like to hype a player once they see him have some early success, and to our credit, Hutton has really blown us away thus far. I cannot remember the last time I saw a young player for the Canucks this poised every time he has the puck, and almost 100% of the time makes the right decision and a great play.

I am very excited to watch Ben Hutton grow.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hutton shows the maturity in his offensive game that Tanev shows with his defensive game.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It's not like he was unknown. Everyone was high on Hutton and have been for the past few years. We all knew he was a big guy, that can skate and put up points and is calm. Reminded a lot of people of a young Edler before the back injury. The problem is that, college kids don't attend NHL training camp, so none of the casual fans got to hear his name or see the kid make any noise. Plus, for whatever reason he didn't play much with Utica. We're finally seeing him play against NHL level competition.

I think many people forget that college is a men's league as well. I think it's really close competition with the AHL. Many of top players have gone straight to the NHL from college. Too many people just assumed that he'd need some seasoning in the AHL but it seems like clearly it isn't the case but we'll see.

Last edited:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Guys, I know Canucks fan nerds have had Hutton on their radar for the last two years. But look at this thread. Only two pages and most of the posts came in the last few days for a prospect drafted in 2012. That's out of nowhere for a prospect of this caliber. :yo:

I'm not complaining or *****ing. I'm more trying illuminate how amazing this is.

Every team has a few buried gems that come out of nowhere with little fanfare. Not really that amazing.

We were aware he was playing good in college, but Patrick Mcnally had similar numbers and apparently he wasn't that good, so our expectations wasn't that high.

McNally *was* that good, but he made absolutely bizarre choices that completely torpedoed his development as a hockey player. After getting caught in that ridiculous "cheating on a take home exam" suspension, he should have immediately signed with the Canucks. Instead he sat out of hockey for a full year AND decided to continue with another 2 years of college hockey. It's nearly impossible to properly develop a player who has played 48 games total over the last 3 years.

He could have been a real gem. I still hope he works out for the Sharks, but I don't think he'll be able to make up for all the development he missed out on.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Every team has a few buried gems that come out of nowhere with little fanfare. Not really that amazing.

I wouldn't know. I'm a Canucks fan. The last prospect we had that made an impact like this is Edler who was a 3rd rounder drafted eleven years ago.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Watched him score his first pro goal in Utica last season. Played extrememly well, then started getting scratched once Utica started to make their run and I didnt really understand it.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
With offensive defense man, there's lot of risk involved because many of the times they get caught out of position. Both McNally and Hutton show great offensive instincts but both do have flaws on the defensive side of the ice.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't know. I'm a Canucks fan. The last prospect we had that made an impact like this is Edler who was a 3rd rounder drafted eleven years ago.

Tanev and Lack were both hidden gems in our system over the last few years. Undrafted free agents, but yeah. Same with Kenins. Cassels as well, if he keeps developing.

But fair point, our drafting isn't exactly great.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
With offensive defense man, there's lot of risk involved because many of the times they get caught out of position. Both McNally and Hutton show great offensive instincts but both do have flaws on the defensive side of the ice.

To be fair to Hutton he's shown very few defensive flaws. The odd time he's made a mistake he seems very good at fixing it and often getting the puck back. It's preseason, granted, but he looks mature beyond his years at the moment and he had probably his best game against a full Sharks roster last night

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
To be fair to Hutton he's shown very few defensive flaws. The odd time he's made a mistake he seems very good at fixing it and often getting the puck back. It's preseason, granted, but he looks mature beyond his years at the moment and he had probably his best game against a full Sharks roster last night

This is an result of his patience, calmness, speed, and high IQ. All of which, were praised when he was in college. McNally on the other hand was a little different, I think i remember him as a purely as a offensive defense man.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That end to ender which resulted in Brent Burns taking a penalty to prevent the scoring chance was the highlight of the game for me

:amazed::amazed:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I know fans really like to hype a player once they see him have some early success, and to our credit, Hutton has really blown us away thus far. I cannot remember the last time I saw a young player for the Canucks this poised every time he has the puck, and almost 100% of the time makes the right decision and a great play.

I am very excited to watch Ben Hutton grow.

I can remember. And the player's name was Chris Tanev. Not saying Hutton will end up that good as we need to see him play in some real games still. Hutton has an offensive part of his game that Tanev is just developing but Tanev had outstanding defensive instincts from the moment he hit the NHL.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Hutton shows the maturity in his offensive game that Tanev shows with his defensive game.
This is actually a pretty apt point

I remember when Tanev was breaking in just how shocked I was that this kid was making plays in the defensive zone and staying as calm and collected as he was. Like it was just an instinct that he knew where to be and how to cut down on his man and get the puck back

Watching Hutton carry the puck is the same way. Kid is fast, and stick handles like a skilled forward. His breakout pass and cycle play is excellent too. Makes Edler like boneheaded mistakes in his own zone sometimes, but is relatively sound, and can recover from those mistakes

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
That was a set play for Maine on 5-on-3 PPs. He was their top defenseman but I honestly didn't think he was a dominant player in college. I guess it didn't help that Maine was so bad his last year and they never had the puck. He's looked even better in the preseason than he did at Maine. Also exciting is the fact that he's a pretty huge and can more than handle the Western Conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad