Post-Game Talk: Lazy.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can't just assume Benson won't be able to get goals in the NHL if he has just 11 goals in the AHL so far. It's his skill that's so enticing. So many players in the AHL have scored so much but have done garbage, goal wise and points wise, in the NHL. Alexandre Giroux bring up any reminders? Lots of players other than him as well

meh.

I've watched Benson in around 15 games in prospects games and preseason games. tbh he hasn't lifted me out of my seat at anytime. He hasn't even excelled in these games. I would have expected a player with elite vision to dominate at prospects level at least.

Does anybody in this thread actually watch a lot of Bakersfield games? Do you?

I'm honestly not following what you mean by the Alexandre Giroux reference.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry man but it's frustrating reading this post from somebody who doesn't watch the player at all, you have zero basis whatsoever for any assessments of these AHL players' games.
"The clock is ticking" on an AHL rookie who is having one of the best rookie seasons in the entire league. What a ridiculous statement, just completely out there and you know very well that it's a ridiculous statement.

If you want to say that he's not currently ready to make an NHL impact, I could buy that. He does have some things to work on before he's ready to make the full time job to the NHL. I can't even continue to respond the other stuff in your post, you're better than that.

The last time we were having a convo like this was Yamamoto and you were busy telling me how I knew nothing much about the player and that he was going to make me eat my words.

The bolded is ridiculous btw. Because I've watched the respective players prospects, and preseason minutes and play as much as anybody here. With the HERE being one of the primary indicators in, you know, how a player can play here.

But keep on with the blanket statements. Its amusing at this point.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
meh.

I've watched Benson in around 15 games in prospects games and preseason games. tbh he hasn't lifted me out of my seat at anytime. He hasn't even excelled in these games. I would have expected a player with elite vision to dominate at prospects level at least.

Does anybody in this thread actually watch a lot of Bakersfield games? Do you?

I'm honestly not following what you mean by the Alexandre Giroux reference.

He hadn't played any pro games in training camp. Yes I do watch Condors game I have AHL TV on my laptop. There's no point in talking about that reference. I doubt you'll agree lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The last time we were having a convo like this was Yamamoto and you were busy telling me how I knew nothing much about the player and that he was going to make me eat my words.

The bolded is ridiculous btw. Because I've watched the respective players prospects, and preseason minutes and play as much as anybody here. With the HERE being one of the primary indicators in, you know, how a player can play here.

But keep on with the blanket statements. Its amusing at this point.

Apples and oranges, you saw Yamamoto play in the NHL so you have justification for your opinion on him although it seems like you had your mind made up on the player before he even stepped on the ice. I didn't even disagree with your entire assessment of him and have voiced concerns about him as well but just found some of your criticism a bit harsh on a teenager playing in the toughest league in the world.

It isn't a blanket statement. I and others have seen a lot of Benson at the AHL level while you haven't so there's no basis for your assessment of his game at the pro level outside of looking at a stat sheet. You also said that "the clock is ticking" on him ever being an NHLer. He's having one of the best rookie campaigns in the AHL and you're ready to call him a bust just because ??? You don't see how ridiculous that sounds? Again, you should be better than that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wouldn't go that far. Rangers were outhitting us 2 -1 in the game and Benning getting hammered with a heatshot behind the net was clearly a cynical play and designed to put him out for the game after Klefbom was already out. How that wasn't even considered a penalty is anybodies guess. It was clear intent to injure to attrition our D lineup in the game.

Also Khaira fought and got his ass handed to him.

I do think the Rangers were much more physical in this game and enjoying that Lucic was out.

I mean we had Khaira and Brodz fighting in this game, and so obviously Rangers were taking liberties. All the Rangers were 6inches taller in this game.
I thought the Leafs were running around without Lucic in the lineup too, it wasn’t just the Rangers game although that one was worse. Lucic’s contract is what it is but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring a physical element to the game that the team does need. He’d also been playing his best hockey of the year in the last few weeks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He hadn't played any pro games in training camp. Yes I do watch Condors game I have AHL TV on my laptop. There's no point in talking about that reference. I doubt you'll agree lol

heh, I'm just taking umbrage as an Oilers fan that painfully watches every last minute of play, and has seen virtually every game, prospects game, preseason game, and that attends Oilers camps has
"zero basis" in making any comments here on Benson, or any Oilers prospect, despite me being a devout fan of the Oilers, the team we are talking about in this thread, and the topic of this thread.

I've been watching Oilers camps for a longer period of time than most people here have been alive. I've seen all the prospects more than people might think. Just not in Bakersfield. IN PERSON, in camp one can also iso on players and I tend to focus on the touted players pretty exclusively. Its why I'm not even guessing and bang on the money, for instance regarding Yamamoto, every step of the way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Apples and oranges, you saw Yamamoto play in the NHL so you have justification for your opinion on him although it seems like you had your mind made up on the player before he even stepped on the ice. I didn't even disagree with your entire assessment of him and have voiced concerns about him as well but just found some of your criticism a bit harsh on a teenager playing in the toughest league in the world.

It isn't a blanket statement. I and others have seen a lot of Benson at the AHL level while you haven't so there's no basis for your assessment of his game at the pro level outside of looking at a stat sheet. You also said that "the clock is ticking" on him ever being an NHLer. He's having one of the best rookie campaigns in the AHL and you're ready to call him a bust just because ??? You don't see how ridiculous that sounds? Again, you should be better than that.

You stated I had "zero basis" I've watched several hrs of Benson in camp in person. Where I could iso on him and other touted prospects as I do. Have you? I've watched every game afairc that Benson has played in Oilers silks be it prospects games or NHL games.

So I've watched every bit of the sample that has occurred HERE, while according to you having "zero basis" in which to make comments here, as an Oilers fan.

Again, if I was commenting IN the Bakersfield thread, which I would never do, I could see the call outs.

I'm commenting in an Oilers thread, as an Oilers fan, in an Oilers PGT topic, in which I'm being told I have no basis to post in..

Yamamoto? I call bs on that. We were having the argument about Yamamoto even before NHL games played and YOU KNOW I was saying there was no way in hell this player was ready for reg season. If you're being honest in the exchange, or have half a memory, you know that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You stated I had "zero basis" I've watched several hrs of Benson in camp in person. Where I could iso on him and other touted prospects. Have you? I've watched every game afairc that Benson has played in Oilers silks be it prospects games or NHL games.

So I've watched every bit of the sample that has occurred HERE, while according to you having "zero basis" in which to make comments here, as an Oilers fan.

Zero basis to assess his game at the pro level, the AHL level on games that really count. If we were to assess Pulju and Yamamoto's games based solely on camp or even Rattie, they'd be NHL stars so in other words, camp assessments are largely useless.

You saw 11 goals and assumed based solely on that and his camp performance (which looked fine to me) that the clock is ticking on him.ever being an NHLer. Is that reasonable in your opinion?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought the Leafs were running around without Lucic in the lineup too, it wasn’t just the Rangers game although that one was worse. Lucic’s contract is what it is but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring a physical element to the game that the team does need. He’d also been playing his best hockey of the year in the last few weeks.

Lucic has brought the physical and theres been a lot of bone rattling hits. At least he's been doing that and it has resulted in opponents hearing footsteps. He's regularly getting the hit of a game and has played solid enough 200ft low event hockey. need more out of him but at least we're getting that. I do think he creates some space for linemates as well and they get bigger with him out there.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Zero basis to assess his game at the pro level, the AHL level on games that really count. If we were to assess Pulju and Yamamoto's games based solely on camp or even Rattie, they'd be NHL stars so in other words, camp assessments are largely useless.

You saw 11 goals and assumed based solely on that and his camp performance (which looked fine to me) that the clock is ticking on him.ever being an NHLer. Is that reasonable in your opinion?

Assessing players at this level has some legitmacy. Some would even go as far to say that its the primary indicator, i.e. what a player can do here being salient consideration.

Really AHL< and any farm league history is that those results don't matter much translated to this level. No end of players that have been able to accrue pts at a high level in AHL, and that have gone onto become career AHLers, and nothing else.

Most NHL NA players, that are drafted and NHL prospects on the basis of offense already see minutes at this level by age 21. Those that don't are unlikely to be topsix answers in the NHL. The potential exceptions are really small players that are incubated longer like a Tyler Johnson. But lets not pretend Benson has intangibles either. The only reason he would even get minutes in an NHL game is to produce. The only reason he would see minutes in an Oilers game is if he could score goals.

I stand firm that if Benson had "really great vision" as a pro player that he would be here already at age 21 on an Oilers lineup lacking in scoring depth. The trouble for him, as mentioned, is he is not a notable scorer and that being the specific skillset needed here.

But hey what do I know. The NHL club itself, that has called up several other prospects, has never called up Benson for one NHL game. Must be prejudice..

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Lucic has brought the physical and theres been a lot of bone rattling hits. At least he's been doing that and it has resulted in opponents hearing footsteps. He's regularly getting the hit of a game and has played solid enough 200ft low event hockey. need more out of him but at least we're getting that. I do think he creates some space for linemates as well and they get bigger with him out there.
Would rather have Lucic in that role than David Backes, that's for sure.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You can't just assume Benson won't be able to get goals in the NHL if he has just 11 goals in the AHL so far. It's his skill that's so enticing. So many players in the AHL have scored so much but have done garbage, goal wise and points wise, in the NHL. Alexandre Giroux bring up any reminders? Lots of players other than him as well

He's made up his mind about Benson. There's no changing his opinion. Doesn't even factor in that this is first pro season due to injuries in the past which is why he's gonna be handled slowly and cautiously.

FWIW, he also argued Patrick O'Sullivan was all that despite his on-ice performance as an Oiler so his ability to assess is 'talent' is questionable at best

Reactions: TB12 and KYams17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cave has been good. He had 3 great chances last night. Him and Chiasson look good together

At best Cave is an energy player that is low event. But got scored on last night. But he's bereft of talent. Really its only in an Oilers lineup that he even gets toi or GP. This is not an NHL player and not even close otherwise. The reality on this board is if we saw 20more games of him at the NHL level we'd be wondering why.

Theres no end of players you can stick a jersey on and they'll play out of their heads for a little while because of the thrill of being NHL. Which doesn't make them legit NHL players. Colby is lucky for any NHL game of pay he is seeing. It won't be many more.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
But hey what do I know. The NHL club itself, that has called up several other prospects, has never called up Benson for one NHL game. Must be prejudice..

Keith has basically come out and said that he wants to keep the younger guys down on the farm, so Benson likely will not get a call up this year. Benson is having a great season, and has actually picked it up in the goal dept. He had 3 goals in the first 28 games of the season, and has now 8 in the last 28 games, so it's clear that has gotten better as the season has gone on. He's 20 years old. Still has lots of time to work on his game. If he's putting up similar or better numbers to start next year, i bet they reward him with a call up. There's lots of guys that have earned a call up this year though, which is a wayyy better situation than it has been.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
At best Cave is an energy player that is low event. But got scored on last night. But he's bereft of talent. Really its only in an Oilers lineup that he even gets toi or GP.

He got toi and GP in Boston this year.
So no.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Assessing players at this level has some legitmacy. Some would even go as far to say that its the primary indicator, i.e. what a player can do here being salient consideration.

Really AHL< and any farm league history is that those results don't matter much translated to this level. No end of players that have been able to accrue pts at a high level in AHL, and that have gone onto become career AHLers, and nothing else.

Most NHL NA players, that are drafted and NHL prospects on the basis of offense already see minutes at this level by age 21. Those that don't are unlikely to be topsix answers in the NHL. The potential exceptions are really small players that are incubated longer like a Tyler Johnson. But lets not pretend Benson has intangibles either. The only reason he would even get minutes in an NHL game is to produce. The only reason he would see minutes in an Oilers game is if he could score goals.

I stand firm that if Benson had "really great vision" as a pro player that he would be here already at age 21 on an Oilers lineup lacking in scoring depth. The trouble for him, as mentioned, is he is not a notable scorer and that being the specific skillset needed here.

Benson does have really good vision, he even showed off some of it in camp. If you don't see that his vision is one of his strengths based on a few games in camp and a summer tourney, I don't know what to tell you. I'll just disagree and I'm sure many others will as well.

As far as projecting AHL success to the NHL is concerned, of course there are no guarantees that his AHL success will translate to the NHL but the fact of the matter is that his AHL rookie season has been very successful which means that he's on an upward trajectory and nothing more, nothing less. By you saying that "the clock is ticking" on him ever being an NHLer and he only has 11 goals is dismissing the success that he is having this year. Those of us who have seen him play can see the vast improvements in his game as the season has worn on and can only hope that he builds on it. That's all it means right now, no guarantees of anything at this point.

The reason he hasn't been called up isn't due to him.not earning it, it's more about them doing the right thing and continuing to develop one of their youngest prospects at the AHL level. Currie is a much older player who has earned a call up based on paying his dues after several years of strong AHL play. That is not an indictment on Benson's play.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
heh, I'm just taking umbrage as an Oilers fan that painfully watches every last minute of play, and has seen virtually every game, prospects game, preseason game, and that attends Oilers camps has
"zero basis" in making any comments here on Benson, or any Oilers prospect, despite me being a devout fan of the Oilers, the team we are talking about in this thread, and the topic of this thread.

I've been watching Oilers camps for a longer period of time than most people here have been alive. I've seen all the prospects more than people might think. Just not in Bakersfield. IN PERSON, in camp one can also iso on players and I tend to focus on the touted players pretty exclusively. Its why I'm not even guessing and bang on the money, for instance regarding Yamamoto, every step of the way.

I wonder if there’s maybe a chance Benson Improved since you last saw him roughly 6 months ago?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson does have really good vision, he even showed off some of it in camp. If you don't see that his vision is one of his strengths based on a few games in camp and a summer tourney, I don't know what to tell you. I'll just disagree and I'm sure many others will as well.

As far as projecting AHL success to the NHL is concerned, of course there are no guarantees that his AHL success will translate to the NHL but the fact of the matter is that his AHL rookie season has been very successful which means that he's on an upward trajectory and nothing more, nothing less. By you saying that "the clock is ticking" on him ever being an NHLer and he only has 11 goals is dismissing the success that he is having this year. Those of us who have seen him play can see the vast improvements in his game as the season has worn on and can only hope that he builds on it. That's all it means right now, no guarantees of anything at this point.

The reason he hasn't been called up isn't due to him.not earning it, it's more about them doing the right thing and continuing to develop one of their youngest prospects at the AHL level. Currie is a much older player who has earned a call up based on paying his dues after several years of strong AHL play. That is not an indictment on Benson's play.

You thought and said the same about Yamamoto. You were convinced he was going to make it and help the Oilers. I was convinced it was going to be a debacle and it was. Again. But I had known that before even a reg season game was played. You for some reason thought Yama would find success this season here. Afairc you were high on Yama's prospects last season as well.

As far as Benson I saw routine vision at this level. What I look for in offensive players and particularly passers is the ability to hold, draw defenders, and thus create separation and open ice and gaps in coverage. Benson at no point has exhibited any confidence in doing this at this level. He might never.

Like I said earlier most one dimensional offensive only players with no intangibles either show in NHL by now now or don't really make the show. Theres no way a Benson could play in NHL bottomxix. theres no reason a club would put him there, and theres little to suggest he's good enough to make an NHL topsix lineup.

As for Currie he got called up on the basis of goal scoring potential. That's it. Not due to a fictional "paid his dues" narrative. If Benson could score pro goals he might be up as well. Benson hasn't been good at putting the puck in the net for a long time.

Hey, I'll probably be around. I would bet anybody Benson doesn't see 50 games in the NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You thought and said the same about Yamamoto. You were convinced he was going to make it and help the Oilers. I was convinced it was going to be a debacle and it was. Again. But I had known that before even a reg season game was played. You for some reason thought Yama would find success this season here. Afairc you were high on Yama's prospects last season as well.

As far as Benson I saw routine vision at this level. What I look for in offensive players and particularly passers is the ability to hold, draw defenders, and thus create separation and open ice and gaps in coverage. Benson at no point has exhibited any confidence in doing this at this level. He might never.

Like I said earlier most one dimensional offensive only players with no intangibles either show in NHL by now now or don't really make the show. Theres no way a Benson could play in NHL bottomxix. theres no reason a club would put him there, and theres little to suggest he's good enough to make an NHL topsix lineup.

As for Currie he got called up on the basis of goal scoring potential. That's it. Not due to a fictional "paid his dues" narrative. If Benson could score pro goals he might be up as well. Benson hasn't been good at putting the puck in the net for a long time.

Hey, I'll probably be around. I would bet anybody Benson doesn't see 50 games in the NHL.

It seems like you have your mind made up on him based on some exhibition games so I'll bow out because I've said all I could on the matter.
All we can do is wait and see.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I'll take that bet. I've also been following his progress closely and kept an eye on his AHL progress, and am fairly confident Benson will get his 50 games at least barring a career-ending injury. He's got the pedigree and he's been trending well so far. Even if he flames out here, I'd gamble that at least one other other organization takes a shot on him as we have with Rattie.

We have quite a few posters here who have been watching the AHL team closely this year by the by. I wouldn't discount what's being said so easily. It's a matter of whether the success continues into next year and whether we can start insulating call-ups, but I am more optimistic about the farm team's chance of turning prospects into NHL players than I have been, frankly, ever.

And to give a balanced take, I'd actually say that Cooper Marody seems to be driving the bus on that first line atm for what it's worth.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll take that bet. I've also been following his progress closely and kept an eye on his AHL progress, and am fairly confident Benson will get his 50 games at least barring a career-ending injury. He's got the pedigree and he's been trending well so far. Even if he flames out here, I'd gamble that at least one other other organization takes a shot on him as we have with Rattie.

We have quite a few posters here who have been watching the AHL team closely this year by the by. I wouldn't discount what's being said so easily. It's a matter of whether the success continues into next year and whether we can start insulating call-ups, but I am more optimistic about the farm team's chance of turning prospects into NHL players than I have been, frankly, ever.

And to give a balanced take, I'd actually say that Cooper Marody seems to be driving the bus on that first line atm for what it's worth.

heh, theres no proviso on the injury. Even at the Junior level Benson had a lot of difficulty absorbing punishment. This is one of the reasons why I think he will never have an NHL career.

I'd agree with you on Marody and to me he has more NHL ready skillsets than Benson has. Marody shows me more at this NHL level than Benson does. Specifically Marody seems to be able to move, possess, and transition the puck better at this level in the times he's had.

What hasn't been noted in the convo thus far is how much Benson has been injured in Junior and how much it impacted him. Not many players recover from that amount of lost time. It really has delayed his development.

But ultimately I don't think Benson will ever be able to withstand NHL play and respond to time and space limitations here.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

Benson is almost a point a game as a rookie pro, he has produced at every level and continues to improve yet you continue to overlook that. If Rattie and Malone can play in our bottom six then why can’t Benson? Wouldn’t Benson’s ability improve our 2nd pp unit or do you prefer Kharia and Cave out there?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
heh, theres no proviso on the injury. Even at the Junior level Benson had a lot of difficulty absorbing punishment. This is one of the reasons why I think he will never have an NHL career.

I'd agree with you on Marody and to me he has more NHL ready skillsets than Benson has. Marody shows me more at this NHL level than Benson does. Specifically Marody seems to be able to move, possess, and transition the puck better at this level in the times he's had.

What hasn't been noted in the convo thus far is how much Benson has been injured in Junior and how much it impacted him. Not many players recover from that amount of lost time. It really has delayed his development.

But ultimately I don't think Benson will ever be able to withstand NHL play and respond to time and space limitations here.

Bensons injuries in JR were more of the freak variety than the weak variety. (although i said the same about taylor halls injuries). The fact that he is progressing and trending up playing 55+ games in a pro league without injury is a promising sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad