Post-Game Talk: Lazy.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
heh, theres no proviso on the injury. Even at the Junior level Benson had a lot of difficulty absorbing punishment. This is one of the reasons why I think he will never have an NHL career.

I'd agree with you on Marody and to me he has more NHL ready skillsets than Benson has. Marody shows me more at this NHL level than Benson does. Specifically Marody seems to be able to move, possess, and transition the puck better at this level in the times he's had.

What hasn't been noted in the convo thus far is how much Benson has been injured in Junior and how much it impacted him. Not many players recover from that amount of lost time. It really has delayed his development.

But ultimately I don't think Benson will ever be able to withstand NHL play and respond to time and space limitations here.

I mean, I'll agree that the issue with Benson has been and continues to be whether he can move past his previous injuries to grow into an NHL player. I don't think the time and space is an issue though - from what I've watched of Benson he already isn't shying away from contact or tight quarters. If he shows he can be durable enough for the NHL, I'm very confident he'll get at least 50 games.

IMO you refusing to take the injury is an easy cop-out - I doubt there's any poster here who won't agree that his injury past is a concern. The whole debate centred on his other skillsets he's shown and how he's played this year, and how that translates to eventually being an NHL player or not. Generally the consensus has been that he's looked promising - of course if he keeps getting injured he'll have issues making the show.

But you know what? Screw it, I'll still take the bet that he'll make at least 50 NHL games without any disclaimers. If Tyler Pitlick can make it despite the injuries, so can Benson.

Oct 15, 2008
Be honest. You haven't watched one second of a Bako game this season.

There's no need to hijack this thread into a you against the world on something you know nothing about.

giphy.gif

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Maybe, but I mean board wide, on a multitude of topics. It just seems like there's way too much "digging in."

because being able to prove some randoms internet people that you were right about something 4 years ago is more important than facts

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Admit I'm wrong? I'D RATHER DIE! (or mysteriously disappear for a few months and then pretend like I never said X incorrect statement... Over and over and over)

Admit im wrong? not a frigin chance id rather quit then make a new account and come back in 3 weeks with a similar but less aggressive narrative

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Benson is padding his assists like Leon is padding his goals off of Mcdavid. Sounds good to me. Benson is producing and the team is winning, isnt that the end game?

All this talk of AHL call up is waste of breath No chance Hitch trusts a rookie out there hes never seen play right now. If we are out of the race maybe you see some come up but not to the detriment of the Condors playoff run.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
At best Cave is an energy player that is low event. But got scored on last night. But he's bereft of talent. Really its only in an Oilers lineup that he even gets toi or GP. This is not an NHL player and not even close otherwise. The reality on this board is if we saw 20more games of him at the NHL level we'd be wondering why.

Theres no end of players you can stick a jersey on and they'll play out of their heads for a little while because of the thrill of being NHL. Which doesn't make them legit NHL players. Colby is lucky for any NHL game of pay he is seeing. It won't be many more.
Not getting whats with the cave hate? He is easily a bottom 6 guy thats good at pk and in the dot. Cheap contract good work ethic and puts the work in every shift. I think he has done everything asked of him and has showed well. With the budget your going to have to ice a few guys that are at that level and get what you can out of them. That line played well last night

Reactions: TB12 and McTedi

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not getting whats with the cave hate? He is easily a bottom 6 guy thats good at pk and in the dot. Cheap contract good work ethic and puts the work in every shift. I think he has done everything asked of him and has showed well. With the budget your going to have to ice a few guys that are at that level and get what you can out of them. That line played well last night

The reality is we need to get better, far better, than what this bottomsix is. Virtually nil goals come out of our bottomsix. That can't continue. Competitive clubs have some nature of scoring support. The lack of score support from bottom D is getting next to nothing from our D, outside of Nurse.

Cave isn't even an NHL quality player in my view. What is he actually good at? He's a pure fill player. Yes I see he plays with a lot of effort out there. But the best we're ever going to get out of him is low and event, and frankly he's not that great in own zone either. I think when we expect players like this on an Oilers team its because we've been conditioned since the 90's to see a lot of garbage in our lineup. A lot of the teams in the NHL, even arguably most, don't have players that are this underwhelming.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
The reality is we need to get better, far better, than what this bottomsix is. Virtually nil goals come out of our bottomsix. That can't continue. Competitive clubs have some nature of scoring support. The lack of score support from bottom D is getting next to nothing from our D, outside of Nurse.

Cave isn't even an NHL quality player in my view. What is he actually good at? He's a pure fill player. Yes I see he plays with a lot of effort out there. But the best we're ever going to get out of him is low and event, and frankly he's not that great in own zone either. I think when we expect players like this on an Oilers team its because we've been conditioned since the 90's to see a lot of garbage in our lineup. A lot of the teams in the NHL, even arguably most, don't have players that are this underwhelming.
Love to have the bottom 6 full of 20 goal scorers but with what that costs and I high end top 6 already thats not happening. He is solid in the dot just as good as brodzy , decent on the pk and seems to play well in his role. The new nhl with top guys costing what they do the bottom 6 is what it is. Have to hope that with some call ups we can get a few 10 , 12 goal guys a year on a budget

Reactions: TB12 and McTedi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Love to have the bottom 6 full of 20 goal scorers but with what that costs and I high end top 6 already thats not happening. He is solid in the dot just as good as brodzy , decent on the pk and seems to play well in his role. The new nhl with top guys costing what they do the bottom 6 is what it is. Have to hope that with some call ups we can get a few 10 , 12 goal guys a year on a budget
I think Cave is perfectly capable of putting up 10-15 goals per year just based on his play and the chances he has created of late. He plays effective minutes and PK`s to boot, absolutely nothing wrong with this player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Didn't you spend all summer bitching about Pakarinen not being back cause hes a low event player?

When other players are low event its not okay though?

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Colby Cave is rarely on the pk, not even half minute a game on average, and his GA/60mins while on PK is 19.5. So better to even not mention it.

He does seem OK on the dot. At 50%. HIs GA EV are 2.1/60mins, not bad, but his GF being around 1 means he's on ice for 1GA negative differential every 60mins played.

But aside from the stats he's just a very ordinary player. Not big, strong, not mean, aggressive. Look around NHL lineups and teams in the playoffs have far better depth than this. Even teams not in the playoff picture often do. Cave is in this lineup because of how shockingly bad our NHL ready roster is.

Brodz should be gone, fired into the sun. Awful player now. We haven't got a lot out of bottomsix. Cave maybe looks not out of place due to how horrible our bottomsix is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't you spend all summer *****ing about Pakarinen not being back cause hes a low event player?

When other players are low event its not okay though?

Pak had great PK Numbers, Pak was a huge heavy player that would hammer people with hard hits, had among the lowest GA numbers on the team.

Colby Cave on pk is at 19.5GA/60mins. Sure limited sample, but he looks lost on a pk.

Low event is OK when its actually low event and the player isn't giving up a goal every 60mins in differential.

Next, under McLellan Pak only got a realistic shot one season and he did well in every regard that season.

But at least with Pak there were notable intangibles. He was very abrasive and strong on his skates. Outside of Lucic he was the best hitter on this club for my money. Guy even had a shot.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Cave is perfectly capable of putting up 10-15 goals per year just based on his play and the chances he has created of late. He plays effective minutes and PK`s to boot, absolutely nothing wrong with this player.
C'mon. Cave hasn't scored 15 goals in a season even in the AHL. I'd be amazed if he could knock in 5 in a season. Cave has 2 goals this season in 40GP. Where does 10-15 come from?

Again, and not sure why people just repeat this but Cave barely plays on the pk and has had atrocious numbers on it when he is there.

Man, in 2 months its gone from "This is a joke player that was Chiarelli's parting shot to both the Bruins and Oilers" to "this guy can play" I see nothing but an energy player who gets the odd chance around the net and will rarely do anything with it.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Colby Cave is rarely on the pk, not even half minute a game on average, and his GA/60mins while on PK is 19.5. So better to even not mention it.

He does seem OK on the dot. At 50%. HIs GA EV are 2.1/60mins, not bad, but his GF being around 1 means he's on ice for 1GA negative differential every 60mins played.

But aside from the stats he's just a very ordinary player. Not big, strong, not mean, aggressive. Look around NHL lineups and teams in the playoffs have far better depth than this. Even teams not in the playoff picture often do. Cave is in this lineup because of how shockingly bad our NHL ready roster is.

Brodz should be gone, fired into the sun. Awful player now. We haven't got a lot out of bottomsix. Cave maybe looks not out of place due to how horrible our bottomsix is.
He has had some really good games as of late. His production needs to increase with his TOI going up. As for the every roster has a deeper bottom six is opinion not fact and very debatable, kinda your thing lol.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He has had some really good games as of late. His production needs to increase with his TOI going up. As for the every roster has a deeper bottom six is opinion not fact and very debatable, kinda your thing lol.

Even look at a rebuilding lineup like the Nucks. They have a better bottomsix than us and their worst player is probably Spooner, who they acquired, from us.

When we play teams like the Leafs, Sharks, any decent club, its undeniable how remarkably better their bottomsix is. Its not just opinion either. Most clubs get scoring depth. Want to compare our bottom production to say Calgary?

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
C'mon. Cave hasn't scored 15 goals in a season even in the AHL. I'd be amazed if he could knock in 5 in a season. Cave has 2 goals this season in 40GP. Where does 10-15 come from?

Again, and not sure why people just repeat this but Cave barely plays on the pk and has had atrocious numbers on it when he is there.

Man, in 2 months its gone from "This is a joke player that was Chiarelli's parting shot to both the Bruins and Oilers" to "this guy can play" I see nothing but an energy player who gets the odd chance around the net and will rarely do anything with it.
Disagree, if he continues to create like he has been the goals will go in. I`m sure in your world progression is linear and your computer just spits out a number you like so you hang your hat on that. His TOI is slowly increasing as is his opportunities, give it time. Like you said his EV splits are fine, anything you get is a bonus. Let McD, Drai and Nuge win the games for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad