Latvia at Olympic qualification

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well GB brings Robert Dowd from Troja-Ljungby, Allsvenskan as star quality and old scottish draftee Tony Hand as coach ;).

I would use porcupine tactics and hoping for an honorable defeat!

EDIT: Just look at Tony Hands stats 80-90's in the british league (it's like Balderis in the Latvian!)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20964

Yeah but balderis was also a a star in USSR league back in the day which then was at the level of NHL

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Well GB brings Robert Dowd from Troja-Ljungby, Allsvenskan as star quality and old scottish draftee Tony Hand as coach ;).

I would use porcupine tactics and hoping for an honorable defeat!

EDIT: Just look at Tony Hands stats 80-90's in the british league (it's like Balderis in the Latvian!)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20964

I think we will be aiming for a victory against Kazakhstan and to keep the score respectable against France and Latvia. Mostly what we want to get out of this tournament is experience and preparation for the world championships.

There is no denying Tony Hand is a great player but his numbers from that era are not all that impressive. It was very easy to put up those kind of numbers in that league, each team had a few high quality Canadians plus top British players like Hand while the rest of the players were very bad and the goalies were terrible, it really wasn't fair at all. Scorelines such as 11-8 for example were very common. As you can see his numbers plummeted when British hockey moved from the BHL era to the BISL (Super League) era.

If you're interested, here's highlights of a 1988 BHL game between Murrayfield and Nottingham featuring a 20 year old Tony Hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16H9dAI9Es

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah but balderis was also a a star in USSR league back in the day which then was at the level of NHL

yeah its true Balderis is one of the best players of all time, but I was looking at league domination. Both players had huge PPG (Balderis 4,83 PPG, Hand 4,81 PPG) in these leagues.
Balderis was also record holder in the Sovjet league, so a whole other "league" of play.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
yeah its true Balderis is one of the best players of all time, but I was looking at league domination. Both players had huge PPG (Balderis 4,83 PPG, Hand 4,81 PPG) in these leagues.
Balderis was also record holder in the Sovjet league, so a whole other "league" of play.

Oh god give us Another Balderis on offense,another Irbe in the net and another Ozolins in defence :cry: :laugh:
Maybe Edgars Treijs is our next Balderis,huh?:sarcasm:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think we will be aiming for a victory against Kazakhstan and to keep the score respectable against France and Latvia. Mostly what we want to get out of this tournament is experience and preparation for the world championships.

There is no denying Tony Hand is a great player but his numbers from that era are not all that impressive. It was very easy to put up those kind of numbers in that league, each team had a few high quality Canadians plus top British players like Hand while the rest of the players were very bad and the goalies were terrible, it really wasn't fair at all. Scorelines such as 11-8 for example were very common. As you can see his numbers plummeted when British hockey moved from the BHL era to the BISL (Super League) era.

If you're interested, here's highlights of a 1988 BHL game between Murrayfield and Nottingham featuring a 20 year old Tony Hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16H9dAI9Es

Thanks for the link....with a good defence you might be able to rattle the opponent and get lucky! Kazakhstan is not normally a physical team so if you get a referee that allows tough play you might get them stunned!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Oh god give us Another Balderis on offense,another Irbe in the net and another Ozolins in defence :cry: :laugh:
Maybe Edgars Treijs is our next Balderis,huh?:sarcasm:

Ok so I'll wish for a super goalie and multiple Frans Nielsen's so we will win WC and OG playing all matches 0-0 and win in shootouts :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
:D but your multiple Frans Nielsens will have to have good forecheck,theres no goalie THAT good :sarcasm:

Multiple Frans Nielsens will intercept anything...remember 7 shorthanded goals in 2010-11 and best in NHL. No pass will succeed for the opposing team :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Multiple Frans Nielsens will intercept anything...remember 7 shorthanded goals in 2010-11 and best in NHL. No pass will succeed for the opposing team :laugh:

Well one can dream of trio consisting of Balderis,Irbe and Ozo or the unbeatable Team Frans Nielsens,to whom all teams will lose in SO :D :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yep......who need an Orr, Gretsky, Lemieux or KLM line if you can just get that!

By the way...how is Kazakhstan looking these days? Barys Astana have some kazakh stars?
Didn't Kevin Dallman become a kazakh and will play for them? They have Antropov in NHL, so he wont play, and lost Nabokov to Russia.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yep......who need an Orr, Gretsky, Lemieux or KLM line if you can just get that!

By the way...how is Kazakhstan looking these days? Barys Astana have some kazakh stars?
Didn't Kevin Dallman become a kazakh and will play for them? They have Antropov in NHL, so he wont play, and lost Nabokov to Russia.

Well they have some decent players,but nothing spectular(im talking kazakh players,not foreigners) they obviously lack good players so they have to resort to"adopting" foreigners.
Don't know much about their prospects,tbh.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Wow from the interviews all our guys are ready to give their 100 % I havent been this confident in our Natinal Team in years.Also this is probably the strongest NT we have assembled in YEARS.Nobody worth mentioning is missing except Daugavins and Girgensons.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Wow from the interviews all our guys are ready to give their 100 % I havent been this confident in our Natinal Team in years.Also this is probably the strongest NT we have assembled in YEARS.Nobody worth mentioning is missing except Daugavins and Girgensons.
I feel the very same way. The reports from today's practice clearly showed that the team feels confident and, to be fair, the roster is impressive as well.

Not having GalviņÅ¡ on the roster is another blessing.

With regards to Kazakhs, Dallman is playing, still, I've understood that the team will miss several key players such as Rudenko, Bondarev, Semenov and Spiridinov.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I feel the very same way. The reports from today's practice clearly showed that the team feels confident and, to be fair, the roster is impressive as well.

Not having GalviņÅ¡ on the roster is another blessing.

With regards to Kazakhs, Dallman is playing, still, I've understood that the team will miss several key players such as Rudenko, Bondarev, Semenov and Spiridinov.

Hard to miss players they've never had in the first place. :) Still I get what you mean.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Kazakhstan won 3-2 over France.....
What is Latvia's response? (we will win both easily?; or two good team that will be hard to beat)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Kazakhstan won 3-2 over France.....
What is Latvia's response? (we will win both easily?; or two good team that will be hard to beat)

From my perspective it`s worse for us that the score was so close, it just shows that both team will be heard to beat.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
From my perspective it`s worse for us that the score was so close, it just shows that both team will be heard to beat.

I say that it is a pretty big surprise based on last WC where they were in the same group and France ended with 9 points and Kazakhstan with 1 point.
France beat Kazakhstan 6-3, Belarus 2-1 and Switzerland 4-2.
Kazakhstan had an OT loss 2-3 against USA.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
GB star Robert Dowd stuns Latvia
1-1

Indrasis gives Latvia the lead 2-1....sighs of relief can be heard for miles!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad