TV: Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It (Part I)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Last Week Tonight - 4/5
Thought this was great. I always respected but didn't necessarily get into The Daily Show/Colbert Report (mainly because I don't keep up that much with American politics), but I clicked with this one. Really benefits from having a week between shows to polish it into a cohesive thing (I'm usually never THAT on board with shows that air daily-- I appreciate the ridiculous work they have to put into it, but how good can something get under that kind of schedule?). Perfect timing with regards to John Oliver being an excellent indirect successor to Colbert after his show ended.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Simpson : Carl Carleson steal the lottery winnings and goes to Iceland. It was pretty funny. 7/10

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Boardwalk Empire, Season 5

It was unfortunate they only had 8 episodes to tell the end of the story. It felt a bit rushed, but not as bad how HBO ended Rome. In the end though, Winter & Co. really did a fantastic job ending Nucky's story and using the flashbacks to Nucky's early life (with great casting choices). Definitely one of the better series finales that I've seen.

4/5

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Continium season 1 & 2. - This is the best new tv show i have seen since Supernatural.
Genre: Sci fi, action, drama

Plot: A women (cop) and a bunch of terrorists from the year 2077 get sent back to the year 2012. The terrorists has one goal, to change the future. And the cop is the only one who can stop them.

A very strong first season with a second season that was not as good, but still very good. The first season had tons of action and almost all episodes ended with you want more. The second season which is still very good, does not have that. The action is less and there is less exciting endings etc. But it is all logical as the show went on 110% during the first season, and it tried to land in the second one. Which it does well. The second seasons works more with the mythology with the show.

The way it looks, the third season will be even better than the second one.

This is sci fi done right. Good ****! But what i love most is the story. There is really no right and wrong. From my point of view: Liber8 are doing the right thing but with horrible methods. The main character is a moron for not wanting to change the future, but the terrorists are even bigger morons.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Last Show or season of a show you watched and Rate It

Why is this not a thing yet? I'll get this started:

Unbreakable Kimmel Schmidt: Season 1
8/10

Tina Fey gets it right again. It's not quite as good as 30 rock but it's got potential. Jon Hamm was awesome

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
Prison Break

Season 1 : 9/10
Season 2 : 7.5/10
Season 3 : 7/10
Season 4 : 6/10

1st season was really awesome but season 4 was just too much, it would had been better if they somehow merge season 3 and 4 together to end the show properly

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Last Week Tonight - 3.5/5
Thought this was great. I always respected but didn't necessarily get into The Daily Show/Colbert Report (mainly because I don't keep up that much with American politics), but I clicked with this one. Really benefits from having a week between shows to polish it into a cohesive thing (I'm usually never THAT on board with shows that air daily-- I appreciate the ridiculous work they have to put into it, but how good can something get under that kind of schedule?). Perfect timing with regards to John Oliver being an excellent indirect successor to Colbert after his show ended.

Modernish shows:
Louie - 5/5
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - 4/5
True Detective - 4/5
Veep - 3.5/5
Last Week Tonight - 3.5/5
Treme - 3.5/5
Breaking Bad - 3.5/5
Mad Men - 3/5
Kids on the Slope - 3/5
Arrested Development Netflix - 3/5
House of Cards - 2.5/5
Maron - 2.5/5
Legend of Korra - 2/5
Bob's Burgers - 2/5
Fargo - 2/5
Game of Thrones - 2/5 (plummeted)
Hello Ladies - 1.5/5

Why do you have Fargo so low? Just be interested on your thoughts.

And LWT is awesome.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why do you have Fargo so low? Just be interested on your thoughts.

And LWT is awesome.
It was well made and well acted I guess, but I just didn't click with it. In the first half, it felt like a bit of a second-rate copy of Fargo the movie, milked for the same old TV-drama-thrills (which I'm generally put off by). Then when they moved away from the source material to the time jump where Freeman's suddenly successful and sauve, it just felt like kind of lame turn to me. I remember it getting better near the end, but it never really won me over.

I was surprised it was getting such big praise-- definitely felt like it was the weaker of the critically acclaimed dramas to me.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Justified: "Trust" (S6 E10): 10/10

I won't give away the huge twist at the end, but it completely shifts the dynamic of the upcoming series finale. For years, we thought we knew exactly how everything would end (Raylan v. Boyd showdown), and then *poof*. The best part is that the twist fits perfectly with an Elmore Leonard narrative. There's three episodes left and this episode helped to set up some terrific character collisions.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Why is this not a thing yet? I'll get this started:

Unbreakable Kimmel Schmidt: Season 1
8/10

Tina Fey gets it right again. It's not quite as good as 30 rock but it's got potential. Jon Hamm was awesome

Yes.. This.

I'm enjoying this show a lot. It's quick, mostly witty, and doesn't take itself too seriously. A really easy watch.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Arrested Development: Put off watching this for far too long

Season 1: 8.5/10 sort of needed to find it's footing but still good
Season 2: 9.5/10 I was entertained the whole way through
Season 3: 8.5/10 kinda spaced out through this season. Not quite as funny.
Season Netflix: 6/10 Still funny after the first 2 episodes. But the individual storylines per episode done, I'm assuming to cater to the actor's schedules (a lot of the footage is reused and it tells one story that honestly could've been done in 4-5 episodes if they were all together). It just felt sloppy. Also Micheal Cera has aged like milk since Scott Pilgrim.

The cast is absolutely terrific.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Teen Mom OG

Fairly boring episode, not all that interested in seeing Amber go on a bus tour about being a Mom while her own kid doesn't know her. If it was a flipside with a deadbeat dad in and out of jail, it would be an uproar.

Yeah, I watch Teen Mom shows.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Harmontown - 3.5/5 (Great)
Podcast, but whatever. This is the only podcast I've heard that's legitimately grabbed me in more than an informative guilty-pleasure kind of way. Love how loose and anything goes it is. Better than the latest seasons of Community.
Better Call Saul - 2.5/5 (Pretty Good with Reservations)

Modernish shows/podcasts:

All time Favorite - 5/5
Louie

Great - 4/5
Last Week Tonight

Exceptionally Good - 3.5/5
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Veep
Treme

Unreservedly Good - 3/5
True Detective
Breaking Bad
Harmontown (Podcast)
Mad Men
Arrested Development Netflix

Pretty Good with Reservations - 2.5/5
Kids on the Slope
Bob's Burgers
Would I Lie To You? (guilty pleasure, but very few things are more fun than David Mitchell grilling the logic of ridiculous Lee Mack bull****)
House of Cards
Better Call Saul

Positive but Underwhelming - 2/5
Legend of Korra
Fargo
Game of Thrones (plummeted)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Maron
Silicon Valley

Mediocre - 1.5/5
Community
The Nightly Show
Hello Ladies

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
5.0: Brilliant/Favorite
4.5: Excellent
4.0: Great
3.5: Very Good
3.0: Unreservedly Good
2.5: Pretty Good with Reservation
2.0: Somewhat Positive but underwhelming
1.5: Mediocre
1.0: Poor
0.5: Outright bad
0.0: God-awful

Louie: S5 - 4.5/5
Amazing how even when he had to come back down to earth after a heavy year in S4, the show's still great in a more laid back way and seems to have an entirely different life to it

The Thick of It: S1-S3 - 4/5
I did think this was a little better than Veep

Veep: S4 - 4/5
Fantastic season-- best so far for this show

Last Week Tonight: S2 - 3.5/5
It doesn't always knock it out of the park as much as I want it to, but I'm really glad this exists and I'm having a much better time keeping up with it than I ever had trying to keep up with the Daily Show or Colbert Report. Either way, you gotta appreciate it-- world's a better place with this kind of thing around.

Community: S6 - 2/5
Obviously still very hit or miss/all over the place and has a ton of issues, but I'm still charmed by some of it, and I like how much Harmon pours himself into it

Silicon Valley: S2 - 1.5 or 2/5
Still enjoyable and regularly comes up with memorable bits, but way weaker than S1

Game of Thrones: S5 - 1/5
really sloppy season, IMO-- weak writing, many of the characters carrying the show are gone, wasn't crazy about the focus on shock and the way it was handled. Someone said that it's such an ambitious undertaking of a show that even a bad season is better than other shows, but I'm the other way with it-- there's something about the approach of alot of these types of dramas that I've never loved in the first place, so when it isn't done exceptionally well, I tend not to like it very much.

I think I'm about ready to leave the show alone now (unless I start hearing that it's returned to form)-- felt a bit like a jump the shark season.

Louie: S1 - 4/5
Louie: S2 - 5/5
Louie: S3 - 5/5
Louie: S4 - 5/5
Louie: S5 - 4.5/5

Game of Thrones: S1 - 4/5
Game of Thrones: S2 - 3/5
Game of Thrones: S3 - 2.5/5
Game of Thrones: S4 - 3/5
Game of Thrones: S5 - 1/5

Last edited:

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Defiance - S01E01: Pilot
Action, drama, sci fi, post war

468px-Spaceshiplanding.png
nolan-and-his-super-cool-gun-that-runs-out-of-ammo.jpeg

Aliens came to earth, once race after another. And now its 2046. There have been a war and the world (USA) looks nothing like it used to. Cities are wiped out landscapes have changed forever. There is no state left. There exist towns and inbetween, there is just badlands. The story follows an ex-solidier and an alien girl he saved as a child. They travel the badlands in search of valuble loot in order to make money. They arrive at a town after escaping an evil gang. And bla bla bla. Watch if this sound intresting. No need to spoil anymore.

My girlfriend stole my computer to watch the royal wedding for 9h (She is crazy). So inbetween, this was what i found on netflix. I was really suprised. This was a very good pilot and intresting sci fi. I really recomend if you are looking for a good tv show or just a good sci fi.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Defiance - S01E01: Pilot
Action, drama, sci fi, post war

468px-Spaceshiplanding.png
nolan-and-his-super-cool-gun-that-runs-out-of-ammo.jpeg

Aliens came to earth, once race after another. And now its 2046. There have been a war and the world (USA) looks nothing like it used to. Cities are wiped out landscapes have changed forever. There is no state left. There exist towns and inbetween, there is just badlands. The story follows an ex-solidier and an alien girl he saved as a child. They travel the badlands in search of valuble loot in order to make money. They arrive at a town after escaping an evil gang. And bla bla bla. Watch if this sound intresting. No need to spoil anymore.

My girlfriend stole my computer to watch the royal wedding for 9h (She is crazy). So inbetween, this was what i found on netflix. I was really suprised. This was a very good pilot and intresting sci fi. I really recomend if you are looking for a good tv show or just a good sci fi.

Oh yeah, this happened. 3rd season premiere tonight; my wife watches it.

Looked ok. Toby from Oz is the new evil "kill all humans!" commander of the white alien guys.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Louie Season 1: 8/10 Had some very funny moments (my favorite was the entire bus ride sequence). But like CK's standup it seems very intent on rolling with the same themes "i'm so fat and average that people act awkward around me, I'm such a piece of ****, life is just meh, mehhhhhhh" it does start to roll thin after awhile when its just the same feeling of meh at life. I mean it does what its supposed to do and it does it well but it starts to feel all the same after a while.

EDIT: I'm getting into season 2 and I'm realizing part of what bothers me about CK...is that among his numerous neuroses he has this over the top white guilt, and he doesn't miss a lot of opportunities to be an apologist for white people being supposedly terrible. Like if you run that gig once or twice fine. He's made some valid points on the topic. But it seems to come up too often that part of why he's the piece of crap that he thinks he is is that he's white. And other white people suck for being born that way too. It's getting annoying.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Ballers: 7/10

Love the Rock. The show is pretty good, it's like Entourage in many ways with Athletes and there are quite a few cringe worthy face palm moments.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Louie Season 1: 8/10 Had some very funny moments (my favorite was the entire bus ride sequence). But like CK's standup it seems very intent on rolling with the same themes "i'm so fat and average that people act awkward around me, I'm such a piece of ****, life is just meh, mehhhhhhh" it does start to roll thin after awhile when its just the same feeling of meh at life. I mean it does what its supposed to do and it does it well but it starts to feel all the same after a while.

EDIT: I'm getting into season 2 and I'm realizing part of what bothers me about CK...is that among his numerous neuroses he has this over the top white guilt, and he doesn't miss a lot of opportunities to be an apologist for white people being supposedly terrible. Like if you run that gig once or twice fine. He's made some valid points on the topic. But it seems to come up too often that part of why he's the piece of crap that he thinks he is is that he's white. And other white people suck for being born that way too. It's getting annoying.

I really like Louie CK's standup...but damn. I've never been able to get through a single episode of his tv show.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I really like Louie CK's standup...but damn. I've never been able to get through a single episode of his tv show.
Complete opposite for me. I think Louie CK's standup is a little bit too mellow for my taste but his show is just heartwarming and genuine. I can't get enough of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad