TV: Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It (Part I)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The first six episodes of Malcolm in the Middle...4/5. Consistent but not as funny as I thought it would be, I like The Middle more.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Seinfeld: Season 7 - 3/5
Pretty gradual descent for me. Favorite episodes still almost entirely centralized in seasons 3-4, which I thought were mostly inspired.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Treme: Season 1 - 3.5/5
I have no idea how the followup to The Wire fell under the radar for me.

It feels very underwhelming as you start watching it-- Even more so than any of season 2 of The Wire, IMO, so I would definitely say it's not for everyone. There doesn't seem to be much of any superficial overarching storyline to grab onto, you sort of just become introduced to the backdrop, follow the struggles of these post-Katrina characters and watch as they get ****ed by social injustices and as Simon repeatedly drives home a loveletter to the town of New Orleans. At times it even feels overbearing, self-serving, and preachy, but for some reason I had no problem just continuing to watch this time. But by the time it's all done, I felt as though I'd really gotten to know these fully realized (but not at all larger than life/commanding) characters, and believed/felt the full weight of every point driven home by Simon, as well as the warmth of the town. Probably one of the most unabashedly realistic/understated shows I've seen, that long game is pretty refreshing compared to other stuff on television. I wouldn't really call it a "fun" show at all (which I actually would call The Wire).

I enjoyed it very much overall, but this is one I'm going to just keep to myself rather than gush about and recommend.

This might be me reading into it, but I associate one of the characters with a "this is our replacement for the McNulty character" vibe and it's kind of odd how much less cool he is :laugh:

Oh, and the Annie character is cute as hell.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Community - 4/5

Watched seasons 1-3 on Netflix to get ready for season 5. I absolutely refuse to watch season 4. One of my favourite shows I can remember watching...I don't want to ruin that with season 4.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
King Of Queens: s5/e1; "Arthur, Spooner."

5/5. Probably my favorite episode of the series. Pure gold.

South Park: s17/e10; "The Hobbit."

4/5. The best episode of the season for my money. Hold up, hold up...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Treme: S2 - 4/5
Damn, this show has really come together nicely this season. Loved it. More reminiscent of The Wire (well, Season 2 anyways) than S1.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mid-season ratings on random stuff I've been watching.

Louie: Season 4 - 5/5 (if I wasn't already, I'm completely obsessed-- this show is one of my favorite things ever)
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - 3.5/5 (have a lot of fun with this)
Veep: Season 3 - 3.5/5 (show gets a notch better every year)
Bob's Burgers: Season 4 - 3/5 (maybe logically it doesn't make sense to have this higher than GOT, but I tend to have a blast with it-- Loved the Brony episode :laugh:)
Game of Thrones: Season 4 - 2.5/5 (I've come around to liking it again after being sick of season 3, but it's still not super high for me anymore-- can't put my finger on it)
Community: Season 5 - 1.5/5 (better than S4, but after letting it sit, don't like it very much)

Also watched a little of Derek and kind of disliked it. Haven't really been watching dramas.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Game of Thrones S4 - 2.5 or 3/5
Strong middle-- weak start and finish. The show does some things fantastically (everything Kings Landing and Arya, basically) and a whole lot of things poorly, IMO.

S1 - 4/5
S2 - 3.5/5
S3 - 2.5/5
S4 - 2.5 or 3/5

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've been watching X-Files a lot and I'm almost done with Season 4. Saw two episodes last night that I would probably rank both a 4/5, Small Potatoes and Zero Sum.

Also, I'm counting down the days to the Orphan Black Season 2 finale, and this last week's episode was amazing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hello Ladies: S1 - 1.5/5
It was somewhat enjoyable, but felt pretty contrived and formulaic. This show makes me think that The Office's tone is more Merchant than Gervais, though.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Killing Season 4 Episodes 1 and 2.

I reaaaallly liked the first 3 seasons, but this season is really corny. Every time Linden talks I cringe. 5/10.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
True Detective Season 1 - 4/5
Had an absolute blast with the style/aesthetic feel of the whole thing. McConaughey was incredible-- your eyes are glued to him the whole time... Thought the buildup was great every episode leading up to the final one, and I felt the payoff was really disappointingly flat/uninteresting.

Legend of Korra Book 3 - 2.5/5
Fun show with really impressive production values. The creators take some really creative/ambitious chances with the format sometimes (loved that Jinora reveal at the end) but it's still missing that effortless spark that TLA had in spades, IMO.

Modernish shows:
Louie - 5/5
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - 4/5
True Detective - 4/5
Treme - 3.5/5
Veep - 3.5/5
Breaking Bad - 3.5/5
Kids on the Slope - 3/5
Arrested Development Netflix - 3/5
Legend of Korra - 2.5/5
Bob's Burgers - 2.5/5
Game of Thrones - 2.5/5
Hello Ladies - 2/5

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Lil Quinquin (2 first episodes) 5/5

In the rest of the world it's going to come out as a movie but in France it's a serie : Lil Quinquin from Bruno Dumont, the guy who did L'Humanité and La Vie de Jésus. I've watched the two first episodes and it's out of this world, best thing i've seen since Twin Peaks. I was fan of Dumont's work but after Lil Quinquin i see his films as inferior work, i'm not even sure i could enjoy them anymore.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Community - 4/5

Watched seasons 1-3 on Netflix to get ready for season 5. I absolutely refuse to watch season 4. One of my favourite shows I can remember watching...I don't want to ruin that with season 4.

If you enjoy Community, then don't watch season 5. It's really not worth your time in the slightest (by that I mean, it absolutely blows)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Maron Season 1 - 2.5/5
After three episodes, it feels more like he's going through the motions (like he's just doing it because his comic friends are doing it or something) and all the material seemed much better served in podcast format.

Then that episode with Danny Trejo rolled around and it really picked up and started doing something fun/interesting. And good lord, Nora Zehetner

Last edited:

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
The Inbetweeners (UK). 4.5/5

Just a hilariously brilliant show, very well written and cast. A much more funny version of American Pie. Only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 was the last season relied way too much on poop and fart jokes.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
House of Cards: Season 1 - 3/5
It's really polished/well executed/engaging, but I also no have interest in the ins and outs of the world of these horrible people, really. Doesn't really blow me away or anything, but it's reasonably good.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Funny, I don't remember the last TV show that I actually watched on TV (as opposed to DVD). Something imported on TVO no doubt, Prime Suspect maybe with Helen Mirren. I'd certainly recommend it.

Later: I take it back. I saw an episode of Luther late at night in a hotel room in Dublin. Loved it. 2010, I think.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As a guilty pleasure (I don't seem to have many of these), I've been watching British panel gameshows on and off for some reason.

I had alot of fun with "Would I Lie To You?". Something about Lee Mack being quick on his feet coming up with ridiculous/outrageous stories and comedically unraveling while David Mitchell angrily and nerdily grills the logic is just perfect.

Also saw this thing called QI. I just thought it was really weird. The idea that it even exists seems funny to me-- it's almost like Stephen Fry conceived it almost entirely out of spite and contempt for anti-intellectual game shows plaguing the airwaves rather than because it works or is even a good idea. :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fargo Season 1 - 2/5
I was disappointed with this. The plot twists got a bit silly in the second half. Didn't feel this was in the same stratosphere as the other critically acclaimed dramas recently.

Legend of Korra Book 4: - 1.5 or 2/5
Found it kind of boring/uninteresting/repetitive compared to the other seasons, Varrick/Zhu Li really carried the show and were great, and the final scene was pretty ballsy. Despite its flaws, you gotta hand it to the creators for wanting to break new ground for a kids show.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad