"Last Night's Attendance" Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

How many rounds do STHers have to buy on the first playoff invoice? The biggest perk, obviously, of being a STHer is the playoff tickets; really sucks for the fans if there isn't a way to make it easier on the average person.

Three invoices total with the 1st two rounds on the first invoice. I think the first payment was due by around the 2nd-3rd week of March; then 3 weeks later round 3 and about the same interval after that round 4 was due.

11 years of successive shutouts ended at the Joe last night, in a series that everyone believes will be very exciting. 19,200 was the announced attendance. The capacity at the Joe is 20,066.

The ticket office did develop some features that allowed STH's to sell their tickets through the Wings office, even reprinting their tickets so that they could be picked up at the Will Call (nice feature about the bar codes). After seeing the empty seats last night, I'm fairly certain that the economy here - which is worse than bad - has forced a lot fans away. A family of 4 would be looking at $400-500 just for tickets.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
And we are the ones not deserving of a team. Will they sell out in the new building in Newark?

Are you even aware of the situation in the swamphole known as Continental Airlines Arena? Thought so.

And the crowd was LOUD and into it all game long, unlike some other playoff teams around here.

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
Are you even aware of the situation in the swamphole known as Continental Airlines Arena? Thought so.

And the crowd was LOUD and into it all game long, unlike some other playoff teams around here.

Actually I was very much kidding (see how we feel now?) and secondly, I know exactly the situation there. A good friend of mine lives in Hoboken and he tells me that getting in and out of that place is just hell and that there is no train access. And, that the new arena in Newark will indeed have a train station from NYC which willl certainly help attendance.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
So Winnipeg had more fans for the Women's Hockey Championship game on Tuesday than the Devils had for their playoff opener ?

ouch.

:sarcasm:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
So Winnipeg had more fans for the Women's Hockey Championship game on Tuesday than the Devils had for their playoff opener ?

ouch.

:sarcasm:

Yep... funny thing is, no matter how much you cry the NHL doesn't want a team back in Winterpeg.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Good point! I imagine that when the NWHL expands, Winnipeg will be right at the top of their list.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Actually I was very much kidding (see how we feel now?) and secondly, I know exactly the situation there. A good friend of mine lives in Hoboken and he tells me that getting in and out of that place is just hell and that there is no train access. And, that the new arena in Newark will indeed have a train station from NYC which willl certainly help attendance.

If you were joking, my bad. I'm just sick and tired of these damn anti-Devils fans/media/trolls/etc bashing the team over something they no nothing about. Same old crap, day in day out. The Wings probably had what, 15,000 fans in the seats, Anaheim had a bunch of empty seats and it took Ottawa the last hours before gametime to "sellout" against Crosby; yet no one bashes them.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
If you were joking, my bad. I'm just sick and tired of these damn anti-Devils fans/media/trolls/etc bashing the team over something they no nothing about. Same old crap, day in day out. The Wings probably had what, 15,000 fans in the seats, Anaheim had a bunch of empty seats and it took Ottawa the last hours before gametime to "sellout" against Crosby; yet no one bashes them.

Success breeds jealousy..just smile and move on...

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
If you were joking, my bad. I'm just sick and tired of these damn anti-Devils fans/media/trolls/etc bashing the team over something they know nothing about. Same old crap, day in day out. The Wings probably had what, 15,000 fans in the seats, Anaheim had a bunch of empty seats and it took Ottawa the last hours before gametime to "sellout" against Crosby; yet no one bashes them.

As a Preds fan, I really, truly feel your pain. And we sold out Games 1 and 2 a long time ago, and yet we don't deserve a team.

mucker*

No, get used to it.

The Devils have had a winning team for a long time and get terrible support.
Your argument might have some validity if the Devils had a couple of sellouts and drew significantly better on the weekends during which time rush hour is much less of a factor.

The Devils did not have a single sell out this season.
If they drew a lot better on the weekends, and got 17K last night, you might have a point but to draw 14K year after year in the playoffs, to not sell out the 2nd and 3rd rounds, stop it already.

This is everything that is wrong with a hockey, the Devils make excuses.
Trains this and swamps that, the Giants and Jets bring 80,000 on weekeneds, why can't you meet them halfway and draw on weekends or at least have a respectable size crowd during the wekeday for a playoff game, a single sell out?

You have a very small, fair weather, bad fanbase which is not good for hockey.
The total lack of passion and support, and 14k for a playoff game, no sellouts for a first place team equates to that, regardless of train access.

I am not saying your location doesn't hurt, but it is not to this degree or extent.

mucker*

I simply can't stand hearing Devils fans complain they are unfairly labled as bad fans, when the facts overwhelmingly show they are poor.

Ottawa had that game sold out a long time, not hours before and the ANH game was a sell out.

As far as Detroit goes, I have said it all along that Detroit is a good hockeytown but they have not had to compete with the Tigers, yes the Pistons but not Tigers and I think that is cutting into their attendnce.

New York and Pittsburgh are just as good a hockeytown, particualrly if the Devils would move and they would stop bringing the rest of the area's fanbase with them to the cellar.

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
fyi, as of right now on ticketmaster, single game tickets are still available for tonight's game.

Ok. Again. They released tickets this week that were orignially reserved for the opposing team and broadcast company. At the time of selling individual tickets, there came a point where there were no tickets available, thus the sell out. Yes, there are singles left now, but that developed well after everyone who could purchase were told they could not.

Thanks for you concern. Enjoy your Jets playoff game tonight.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Though, as has been pointed out before on this board, there has been nothing for Wings fans to complain about, relatively speaking, when it comes to ticket prices. If anything, their sellout streak has benefited from extremely reasonable ticket prices (and that's not even taking into account the remarkable level of the on-ice product at the same time).
You do have to add in the cost of getting mugged and having your car on blocks, though.:teach:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I simply can't stand hearing Devils fans complain they are unfairly labled as bad fans, when the facts overwhelmingly show they are poor.
I will say as a Rockies fan I feel entitled to a little schadenfruede at the Devils attendence after the team spent its last three years threatening to move to Jersey with the idea they'd never have an empty seat. Meanwhile our minor league teams outdrew the Devils.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
No, get used to it.

The Devils have had a winning team for a long time and get terrible support.
Your argument might have some validity if the Devils had a couple of sellouts and drew significantly better on the weekends during which time rush hour is much less of a factor.
Umm, the Devils have always drew signficantly better on weekends than weekdays.

The Devils did not have a single sell out this season.
If they drew a lot better on the weekends, and got 17K last night, you might have a point but to draw 14K year after year in the playoffs, to not sell out the 2nd and 3rd rounds, stop it already.
We have a spoiled fanbase. When you had as much success as the Devs had, the early rounds don't matter, especially against non-drawing teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning. Devils=Atlanta Braves, and that's a franchise that isn't competing with 8 other pro sports teams, not including the Philly ones.
This is everything that is wrong with a hockey, the Devils make excuses.
You call 'em excuses, I call 'em facts.
Trains this and swamps that, the Giants and Jets bring 80,000 on weekeneds, why can't you meet them halfway and draw on weekends or at least have a respectable size crowd during the wekeday for a playoff game, a single sell out?
Never, ever compare the NFL to the NHL, the most popular sport in America vs. a fringe sport that gets less coverage than golf.

You have a very small, fair weather, bad fanbase which is not good for hockey.
The total lack of passion and support, and 14k for a playoff game, no sellouts for a first place team equates to that, regardless of train access.
Again, typical anti-Devils bias. If you don't live in Jersey and aren't a real Devils fan, don't act like you know the issue. And after last night's game, never doubt the passion of this fanbase.
I am not saying your location doesn't hurt, but it is not to this degree or extent.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota

Ottawa had that game sold out a long time, not hours before and the ANH game was a sell out.

As far as Detroit goes, I have said it all along that Detroit is a good hockeytown but they have not had to compete with the Tigers, yes the Pistons but not Tigers and I think that is cutting into their attendnce.

New York and Pittsburgh are just as good a hockeytown, particualrly if the Devils would move and they would stop bringing the rest of the area's fanbase with them to the cellar.

And 8 other pro sports teams AREN'T cutting into the Devils' attendance?

Last edited:

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Ok. Again. They released tickets this week that were orignially reserved for the opposing team and broadcast company. At the time of selling individual tickets, there came a point where there were no tickets available, thus the sell out. Yes, there are singles left now, but that developed well after everyone who could purchase were told they could not.

Thanks for you concern. Enjoy your Jets playoff game tonight.
i will enjoy it very much as i plan on watching our future team the nashville predators!!!or as we call them, the regurgitators:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad