Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sense & Sensibility (1995) - 6.5/10

1. Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman act well in this surrounded by mostly amateur shit
2. I hate Kate Winslet
3. Hugh Grant looked constipated the whole movie
4. Great movie for bitties that love a bit of gossip
5. Some other guy accurately wrote: The intent was to be whimsical and romantic but on deeper examination you can't help but feel a bit repulsed at the characters and the era they represent. There was a lack of any deeper engagement on a social or historical level.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Mandy - ???/10

This was even more bizarre than I anticipated, and that's saying something. I'm still not sure what to make of it. What I do know is that the second half is more effective than the first, because that's when Nic gets let loose.

Reactions: Arizonan God

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
The following is a list of top films that will be released until the end of the year (according to Rolling Stone magazine). Some TIFF films are repeated here. But with the films from the first half of the year, the Summer blockbusters, the larger TIFF line-up and this, we are getting a better idea (although incomplete) of the film line-up for 2018. There will probably be a few more foreign additions and late arrivals (like Phantom Thread last year). And I'm pretty sure Rolling Stone focuses on Hollywood releases. I'm going to break this up in two parts only because I dislike super long posts.

Part 1

A Star Is Born October 5th - Bradley Cooper makes his directorial debut in the third remake of the venerable showbiz melodrama. Lady Gaga drops her usual flamboyance to play it raw and real as a country singer. “She’s a revelation,” says Cooper, who takes on the role of the has-been singer who loves and mentors her.

Venom October 5th - Nothing like a Marvel epic to liven up the season — and Venom gives us a hell of an anti hero. Tom Hardy stars as Eddie Brock, a journalist who morphs into a toothy, bizarro version of Spider-Man known as Venom. The actor admits that the webslinger-hating character is all about “biting off heads.”

First Man October 12th - What do you do for a follow-up when your previous movie — the 2016 musical La La Land — made you, at 32, the youngest Best Director winner in Oscar history? If you’re Damien Chazelle, you make a biopic of Neil Armstrong and cast Ryan Gosling as the first man to walk on the moon. At the CinemaCon convention in April, the filmmaker said he just wants to take the audience on “an immersive journey"

Beautiful Boy October 12th - Steve Carell excels as David Shef, a journalist coping with the meth addiction of his teen son Nic (Timothée Chalamet, an almost-certain Oscar contender). The dual perspective of father and son gives the film a shattering intimacy and power. It’s a real-life drama that’ll take a piece out of you.

Bad Times at the El Royale October 12th - Seven strangers, each with a secret to bury, meet at Lake Tahoe's El Royale, a rundown hotel with a dark past. Over the course of one fateful night, everyone will have a last shot at redemption - before everything goes to hell.

Halloween October 19th - Technically, it’s the 11th chapter in the Hallo'ween series. But director David Gordon Green and co-writer Danny McBride treat it as a sequel to John Carpenter’s 1978 original. It’s four decades later, and Jamie Lee Curtis is still being terrorized by Michael Myers; cue lots of slasher-lick mayhem.

22 July October 19th -There’s always more to director Paul Greengrass than Bourne movies. His brilliant talent for docudrama, evidenced by Captain Phillips, United 93 and Bloody Sunday, comes to the fore in this harrowing tale of Anders Behring Breivik, convicted for a 2011 gun and bomb rampage that left 77 Norwegians dead.

Wildlife October 19th -Carey Mulligan is Oscar-worthy as a young housewife in Montana, circa 1960, who starts to unravel when her husband (Jake Gyllenhaal) heads to the mountains to ight wildires and leaves her alone to raise their 14-year-old son (Ed Oxenbould). In a stunning directing debut, actor Paul Dano mines the smallest details in the Richard Ford novel to create a portrait of a woman both afraid of and exhilarated by the stirrings of personal empowerment.

Bohemian Rhapsody November 2nd - Rami Malek, an Emmy winner for Mr. Robot, takes on the role of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen who died at 45 in 1991 of complications from AIDS and left a legacy of roof-raising stagecraft and hits. This biopic has had its share of backstage drama (original director Bryan Singer was ired due to “mysterious absences”). We still think it’s going to rock us.

Suspiria November 2nd - Why remake Dario Argento’s 1977 giallo horror classic? Because master sensualist Luca Guadagnino (Call Me by Your Name) is behind the camera, with Dakota Johnson as a ballet dancer who uncovers some murderous secrets at a Berlin dance academy. Those who’ve seen the original know what they are. The rest of you will have to discover the scares and oh-so-spooky surprises on your own.

The Front Runner November 7th - Writer-director Jason Reitman takes a satirical look at the rise and fall of Sen. Gary Hart (Hugh Jackson), whose extramarital afair crushed his presidential chances in 1988. Based on political columnist Matt Bai’s book All the Truth Is Out: The Week Politics Went Tabloid, this blistering look back shows us how far America has — and hasn’t — come in the past 30 years.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Part 2

The Girl in the Spider’s Web November 9th - Forget about the 2011 film David Fincher directed from Stieg Larsson’s bestselling The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. In this follow-up, Fincher is out, along with Rooney Mara; director Fede Alvarez (Don’t Breathe) is in, as is the Emmy-nominated Claire Foy (The Crown) as Lisbeth Salander, the inked-up hacker who takes on a mysterious group of criminals known as “the Spider Society.”

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs November 16th - Remember when Joel and Ethan Coen said they were doing a Western anthology series for Netlix? Not quite. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is now a fullscale six-chapter feature, starring Tim Blake Nelson as Buster. And since it’s the Coen brothers, there’s no way any true film buff will miss it.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald November 16th - Eddie Redmayne is back as expelled Hogwarts magizoologist Newt Scamander to battle dark wizard Grindelwald (Johnny Depp, who has his own crimes and misdemeanors to deal with). For those who still can’t get enough of the Potterverse, this new prequel to J.K. Rowling’s YA-lit series should be spellbinding.

Widows November 16th - When four armed robbers are killed in a heist, their widows step up to inish the job. Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave) directs this big-screen adaptation of the 1983 British miniseries, with an all-star cast led by a powerhouse Viola Davis and co-starring Carrie Coon, Liam Neeson, Michelle Rodriguez and Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya.

Creed II November 21st - Sequels can be creativity-sappers, but anyone who saw Michael B. Jordan let it rip in 2015 as Adonis Creed is not going to resist watching him take on Viktor Drago (Florian Munteanu), whose daddy, Ivan (Dolph Lundgren, yes!), killed Apollo in the ring. It’s a bummer that the original’s Ryan Coogler is not back in the director’s seat. But Sly Stallone returns as Rocky Balboa, so we’ll see if he wins the Oscar he was robbed of last time.

Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse December 14th - In an animated universe where there can be more than one Spidey, Peter Parker mentors a mixed-race Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) in his battle against the Kingpin. What’s better than one friendly neighborhood webslinger? How about two? Or three?

Untitled Adam McKay Dick Cheney Film December 14th - Christian Bale as Cheney, the evil genius whom writer-director Adam McKay (The Big Short) calls “the most powerful political figure in modern American history”? Amy Adams as Lynne Cheney? Steve Carell (him again?) as Donald Rumsfeld? How could you not see this biopic?

Mary Poppins Returns December 19th - That’s Emily Blunt taking on the role that won Julie Andrews an Oscar. As Blunt proved in films like A Quiet Place, she does not run from a challenge. She has Hamilton genius Lin-Manuel Miranda as a lamplighter modeled on Dick Van Dyke’s Bert. Director Rob Marshall sets the story 25 years after the first film and turns them loose to create a new kind of magic.

Aquaman December 21st Jason Momoa, who left us wanting more of his Aquaman after his toobrief scenes in Batman v Superman and Justice League, gets his star spot in a stand-alone epic, with Nicole Kidman, no less, as his mom, Queen Atlanna. Momoa vows that Aquaman will no longer be the joke of the DC universe: “No one’s seen an underwater world like this in live action.”

Welcome to Marwen December 21st - Steve Carell plays a victim of a violent assault who builds a miniature World War II village in his yard to speed his recovery. The director is Robert Zemeckis, the man behind both Forrest Gump and The Walk — so this one could go either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to Marwen
is based on a superb documentary from 2010 called Marencol. I guarantee you, though sight unseen by me, that the fictional version will not be an improvement on the original which is spellbinding (the fact that the producers of the new one felt the need to simplify the spelling of the place name, tiny detail though it might be, is not a good sign). Everyone should do themselves a favour and see Marencol first.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to Marwen
is based on a superb documentary from 2010 called Marencol. I guarantee you, though sight unseen by me, that the fictional version will not be an improvement on the original which is spellbinding (the fact that the producers of the new one felt the need to simplify the spelling of the place name, tiny detail though it might be, is not a good sign). Everyone should do themselves a favour and see Marencol first.

Ugh. I hate when Hollywood feels the need to do a narrative adaptation of an already good documentary. It's sad that the probably correct assumption is that people haven't seen or won't seek out the documentary. I can't think of one that really improves or enriches the original. I guess Milk is fine because there are some good performances there, but I still prefer The Life and Times of Harvey Milk. Though I'll give credit to the 3D technical attributes in the last 30 minutes or so of The Walk (also Zemeckis), Man on Wire is far superior (and equally tense without the technical bells and whistles).

Three Identical Strangers is being turned into a movie. There's a Mr. Rogers movie coming (starring Tom Hanks, natch) too — not an adaptation of the doc per se, but certainly coming quick on the heels of what already is a well-seen, well-liked nonfiction film.

Watch the docs.

Rant over.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Lucky Number Slevin (2006) - 7.5/10

Not sure why a ~40 year old Lucy Lui was used to act as a bubbly bimbo acting like she's 20, she's better on TV I guess. Fun dumb movie, has a fun dis-orientating type of production design which is surprisingly cohesive. A bit wannabe noir but far better in plot and suspense than Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Good genre of films this was in the mid-2000s.

Personal Shopper (2016) - 6.5/10

Decent, signs of a good movie in here mixed with some really dumbass ghost spirit talk bullshit...that part is extremely pretentious. Watching Kristen Stewart be lonely gets tedious too.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I finally got around to seeing Children of Men (dir. Alfonso Cuaron).

Instantly one of my favourite film's of the 2000's. Almost everything is perfect to me. It's also perhaps the best Christian film ever made (coming from someone who isn't particularly religious).

10/10

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The House With a Clock in Its Walls 6/10

Pro's
- Reasonably good performances by Jack Black and Cate Blanchett
- Enjoyable novel to work from
- Very good special effects and cinematography
- Some good laughs

Con's
- Parts of the story arc feel disjointed, not flowing well at times in the 2nd half of the movie.
- I'm mixed on the performance by the youth actor Owen Vaccaro, but some of that could be attributed to the script.
- Heavier on jump scares and slapstick then real suspense or fear as the story develops. Likewise it could use some more character development.

Reactions: OzzyFan

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The House With a Clock in Its Walls 6/10

Pro's
- Reasonably good performances by Jack Black and Cate Blanchett
- Enjoyable novel to work from
- Very good special effects and cinematography
- Some good laughs

Con's
- Parts of the story arc feel disjointed, not flowing well at times in the 2nd half of the movie.
- I'm mixed on the performance by the youth actor Owen Vaccaro, but some of that could be attributed to the script.
- Heavier on jump scares and slapstick then real suspense or fear as the story develops. Likewise it could use some more character development.

Yeah, it was a nice mix of different genre elements, the words I thought about the movie after immediately seeing it was that it was a decent young children movie that should appease elementary school kids, but for adults it just feels "good enough" and I really wish it had more of it's better qualities among other minor nitpicks. 2.25 out of 4stars.

Reactions: mouser

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Erin Brockovich - 8/10

God I love 90s American dramas/comedies, very reliable. They're like the Britpop of movies. Much better than that overrated 80s tripe.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Predator

Boy this was a mess bordering on utter nonsense at times. But damn if I didn't enjoy it. Crass, gory, a fair bit corny even, but has a spirit that emulates crap from the 80s for which I have a soft spot. There is plenty to nitpick, but I forgive it its trespasses. Shouts to Sterling K. Brown who is having a blast and Trevante Rhodes who I thought was the standout among the ragtag heroes.

It definitely was a mess. Felt closer in quality to the Alien vs Predator movies than it did the original Predator. There was some solid comedy from the group of heroes, which was the highlight of the movie.

But damn.. this movie committed the biggest sin there is. There is no excuse for action movies to have bad action nowadays. Far too many poorly directed, shot, edited and lit action sequences that were completely incoherent to follow.

Cheesy call backs and decently funny one-liners from some actors clearly having a good time being ridiculous can only go so far.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
steady-anatomy1-facebookJumbo.jpg

The Land of Steady Habits
, directed by Nicole Holofcener 7A

There has been a whole carload of movies about middle-aged, well-off white men going through mid-life crises, but The Land of Steady Habits is one of the better movies to come along in this sub-genre in quite some time. Anders (Ben Mendelsohn) is a f*** up. He's not a mean or nasty or evil f*** up--more an impulsive, don't-look-before-you-leap, "what would happen if I stick the fork in the toaster?" kind of f*** up. When first we meet him shopping for towels, his crisis is already well underway. Anders has moved out of his home, which he casually gave to his wife in a weak moment of mistaken generosity. He has also left behind his adult son Preston (Thomas Mann) who is still living at home and who, himself, is a case of the acorn not falling far from the tree. Helene (Edie Falco), his somewhat perplexed former partner, has moved on with her life and has met a new man to love. Meanwhile, Anders hasn't found happiness--while this hasn't caused complete disaster for him, some of his more clueless, dubious choices might. The Land of Steady Habits is a wry, well-observed dark comedy by a director/writer who does this sort of material very well (Enough Said; Please Give). Mendelsohn is a complete delight; he is also maybe the most underrated actor in the business right now. The clever one-liners and insightful dialogue do little to mask the desperation most of the characters in this movie feel--life in the suburbs has turned out a whole lot less satisfyingly than most thought possible. Anders knows change is necessary--but the "now what?" aspect of the equation, that might take longer for him to figure out.

--available on Netflix

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Unforgiven (1992) - I don't understand the awe over its intellectualism and sprawling themes. It didn't appear particularly insightful to me. With that said, I think the movie was solid, and I liked the cinematography, particularly the shots of the desolate terrain. I thought it really played off well with the movie's reflective and longing mood. The story itself, while promising, felt lacking at times. While I enjoyed the imaginative set-up and premise - the original attack, the rusty gunslinger, the impressionable biographer - too often it felt like the story was being taken towards an interesting, unbeaten path, steering close to the edge, before veering along on the conventional road. I found it frustrating. The acting also felt a wee bit too theatrical, despite some good moments. Gene Hackman was particularly good. I've always found Eastwood to be a bit of a try-hard, though. The myopic kid was awful, too.

Love Exposure (2008) - A masterpiece but with very slight wanes due to some scenes that felt a little too melodramatic for my taste - but which still took funny and endearing turns - and I'm still blown away by the mastery of such an intricate plot along with the seamless transitions in the story's focus. Very imaginative and no loss of steam in the 4 hours running-time. But more than anything, I love how perfectly Sion Sono nails the intense and all-consuming feeling of first falling in love as a kid or teenager. I'm particularly in awe of the last shot. I love the smile and handshake. It's picture perfect.

Snatch (2000) - Fairly awful with extremely shallow moments of fun. A blatant rip-off of Pulp Fiction, without half the charm or style. Tries way too hard, which is a relatively common characteristic of Guy Ritchie's work, who's close to being a worthless director.

Last edited:
Reactions: GB

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Love Exposure (2008) - A masterpiece but with very slight wanes due to some scenes that felt a little too melodramatic for my taste - but which still took funny and endearing turns - and I'm still blown away by the mastery of such an intricate plot along with the seamless transitions in the story's focus. Very imaginative and no loss of steam in the 4 hours running-time. But more than anything, I love how perfectly Sion Sono nails the intense and all-consuming feeling of first falling in love as a kid or teenager. I'm particularly in awe of the last shot. I love the smile and handshake. It's picture perfect.
:yo:

Yeah, the serious sh*t hits the fan part in the last quarter or so is a little too aggressively intense/dramatic (in a typical shouty Japanese way) for my liking, but when it isn't so serious, I think the melodrama adds to the cheesy campy fun side of it.

It totally blew me away and invigorated my interest in movies at the time. Wish more people would see it.

Sion Sono's incredible at making movies that feel like live action versions of what Animes usually try to be, and does it in a way that's a million times more endearing/admirable and less repulsive/annoying.

Why Don't You Play in Hell and Tokyo Tribe are also worth checking out too, though they aren't nearly as good as Love Exposure is. The latter is a Japanese action-hip-hop musical complete with duels between Samurai and guys with baseball bats while simultaneously rap-battling
about feeling jealous of the other's **** size
. The man's insane. :laugh:

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
:yo:

Yeah, the serious sh*t hits the fan part in the last quarter or so is a little too aggressively intense/dramatic (in a typical shouty Japanese way) for my liking, but when it isn't so serious, I think the melodrama adds to the cheesy campy fun side of it.

It totally blew me away and invigorated my interest in movies at the time. Wish more people would see it.

Sion Sono's incredible at making movies that feel like live action versions of what Animes usually try to be, and does it in a way that's a million times more endearing/admirable and less repulsive/annoying.

Why Don't You Play in Hell and Tokyo Tribe are also worth checking out too, though they aren't nearly as good as Love Exposure is. The latter is a Japanese action-hip-hop musical complete with duels between Samurai and guys with baseball bats while simultaneously rap-battling
about feeling jealous of the other's **** size
. The man's insane. :laugh:

I could have sworn we'd talked Love Exposure before. It's not my first watch. The only other movie I've seen from Sion Sono is Suicide Club years ago and I didn't even know that was him. I'm interested in going on a binge. His recent Antiporno looks pretty cool too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I could have sworn we'd talked Love Exposure before. It's not my first watch. The only other movie I've seen from Sion Sono is Suicide Club years ago and I didn't even know that was him. I'm interested in going on a binge. His recent Antiporno looks pretty cool too.
Oh, I can never remember things like that.

To me, Sion Sono's stuff before Love Exposure feels completely different from the stuff after it. It's like he flipped a switch and decided to let loose with bat**** insanity and take himself less seriously. I actually kind of remember disliking Suicide Club.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Tokyo Tribe is probably the most fun I've had watching a movie for the last several years. It's just on another level of crazy, but if you go along with it so much fun.

Reactions: BonMorrison

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Okay guys, I am up next with VIFF.

Since I am always exhausted by the whole experience, I will just put up a list of my favourite, and my least favourite. If I have the time, I will further elaborate on everything else.

I am not sure what my lineup is yet, because this year has a lot of time conflicts, but I am quite excited about the whole thing, because there are so many that I really want to see.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Claire's Knee (1970) - 7/10

Frenchies speaking a lot of Frenchie stuff about relationships and love and lust. Very pompous tbh, so many arrogant statements made in one little movie, especially by the male protagonist. The scenes with him and the two teens are actually quite creepy at times. Enjoyable in spurts though.

Animal House (1970) - 6/10

Never clever, sometimes amusing, mostly stupid. Watchable with a bit of charm but it's pretty dated and skippable imo.

James Acaster: Repertoire (2018) - 9.5/10

Four-part comedy special, one of the best I've ever seen. I re-watched it and that made me bump up my rating tbh. Filled with lots of silly stories and absurdist takes on stuff like language. It's like a stand-up version of Monty-Python sketches.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Pride & Prejudice (2003) - unratable/10

f***ing Kiera Knightley and her smug face and stupid accent, couldn't get through this film she ruined it. It was about petty aristocratic problems so nothing lost either way.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Love Exposure is definitely something else, in a very good way. I'll have to watch it again sometime soon.

I just watched Hereditary. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the mood it sets right off the bat. The ending was far from perfect but I can definitely see the comparisons to The Witch, which I also really enjoyed. Kind of like a horror-drama.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Dogman. Kihei gave a good review earlier, I'll just vent. I wasn't really impressed with this one. I was trying to find the right term for it, morality play, fable, allegory, short story, parable. I'll settle on exemplum: the writer/director takes a character and sets him as an example for what negative turn awaits one that descends on a criminal path.
I was hoping for a twist in the story where the Dogman would rise up to defeat his tormentor and succeed but he defeats him and loses. Yes kids let that be a lesson to you *
I suppose the caged dogs are a metaphor, maybe even some reverse anthropomorphism. I'll give the star credit for a good artful interpretive performance as the beta male, but it's a bleak, depressing tale. If this wins Italy the Best Foreign Film at the Oscars, I'll eat the cardboard box my next pizza pie comes in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad