Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +4

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
16549.large.jpg

Reality
(2012) Directed by Matteo Garrone 7A

Matteo Garrone’s follow up to the ultra-realistic organized crime movie Gomorrah is a very different story, a study of what reality television can do to desperate people. Luciano (Aniello Arena), a fishmonger with some charm but no talent, longs to be chosen to perform on Big Brother, a Naples based reality TV variety show. He convinces himself that he has a legit shot to become a contestant. His whole life seems to depend on it. He believes it is his only hope for the future. This self-imposed pressure makes him become delusional. He starts thinking the show is spying on him to see if he is worthy, so he changes his behaviour, buying food for strangers and even giving away his wife’s furniture. While waiting to learn whether he will become a contestant, he spirals ever further into madness, seemingly beyond the help of his family and friends. Reality has a noticeable King of Comedy vibe, and Arena’s performance of Luciano is worthy of Robert De Niro on one of his really good days. Garrone is obviously against how reality television and game shows can prey on the most vulnerable among us. Brilliantly, the director finds the perfect opening and closing sequences to bookend his movie and its title. Loud and raucous on occasion, at other times disheartening, Reality is a worthy successor to Gomorrah.

subtitles

MUBI

I was pretty disappointed by it myself.
:laugh:

To be fair, I went into the movie completely blank, other than my knowledge of his previous film, and this one is so different, that it probably skewed my perception of the movie. However, I thought the ending is rather weak, and ultimately, the whole movie adds nothing new to what the general public already knows about the effects of fame. I was bored by it, and I thought it was a waste of time.

At this point, I am not sure how I feel about Garrone as a director. I saw Reality and Dogman, and both follow-ups have fallen painfully short of the promise he showed in Gomorrah.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Die Hard (1988) - 8/10

I loved the setup, I was a bit tired by the end and it's more macho than brains in terms of plot but the aesthetic, the villain, the actual action itself, and the suspense is solid.

Terminator (1984) - 7/10

I think it's a bit too heavy on the chase-scenes and lighter on the other stuff which is why it falls behind T2 (also far weaker in special effects and action obviously being almost a decade older). Still good enough to make me wanna watch the newest Terminator movie and leave a shit review for it once I get around to it.

Reactions: Osprey

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Die Hard (1988) - 8/10

I loved the setup, I was a bit tired by the end and it's more macho than brains in terms of plot but the aesthetic, the villain, the actual action itself, and the suspense is solid.

Alan Rickman must have had fun playing that role.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Die Hard (1988) - 8/10

I saw it in a Montreal theater (way back when) and the whole place erupted at the end. Best action film I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
My wife's from Winnipeg, and I've had a number of very dear friends from there as well. Not one has anything good to say about it. There's a Simpsons episode where they go to Canada to get cheap prescription drugs, and the sign at the airport says: "Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?" My wife spent ten minutes vehemently agreeing with that when she saw it. Every country has that one place you can safely make fun of if you're anywhere else in it; in Canada that's Winnipeg. Stayed there once overnight on a layover coming back from Toronto. It's the only time I ever stayed at hotel and asked for a room without a view.

:biglaugh:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Alan Rickman must have had fun playing that role.
The scene where they drop him? That's real surprise on his face. They told him they'd let him go on three, and went: "Okay. One...two...*drop*"

Don't worry. After seeing it, you'll feel the need to dump on it. I know I did.
It's actually weird that it might just be the third-best Terminator movie.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I have never been to Winnipeg, by My Winnipeg is the entire basis of my perception of Winnipeg. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

It is called Gateway to the West, because people cannot get out of there fast enough. You get eaten by mosquitoes there, and there is a chance that you also get West Nile as a consequence. What is there not to love?
:D

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
King of New York (1990) - I had always liked it. Scrolling Netflix, thought I'd watch it again. I hadn't remembered it being so goddamn good. I'm a big fan of Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant and The Funeral too, but I don't know, I was still somewhat surprised. I think I'd somewhat remembered being a bit more conventional/run-of-the-mill than it is. I mean, the story essentially is. Drug kingpin gets released from prison and kills his way back to the top. If you read a description or synopsis of the movie, you're not getting anything that makes the movie distinct. Christopher Walken's facial expressions, which no one can keep up with. Lawrence Fishburne's turn as a Ripper Roo. In a humorous scene, a voiceless grunt meets his end accidently at the hands of his nervous boss. Ferrara's strong handling of the nuances of race (This baffled me. Perhaps unfairly, but I've always had the impression of Ferrara being a bit of a degenerate). The seedy nightclub and sad city sets (in one of the climax scene, there is an exhilarating chase between Wesley Snipes's cop and Fishburne's robber where the vivid green of the tree leaves soaking in the heavy rain on a blue night is so discreetly colorful that I re-played the shot three or four times). Even in moments that looked like they were heading towards being heavy-handed or schlocky were saved with intelligent editing. The didactism in Frank White's office is not as powerful as seemingly intended, but well-acted, even from the character actors. Just a strong, smartly written film that holds up really well in style. Probably one of the best American city crime films I have ever watched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm a big fan of Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant and The Funeral

I'm a big Ferrara fan, one of my favorite American directors, but his gangsta films really aren't my favorite of him. I know I'm absolutely alone in this, and it's unwatchable to most, but my favorite one is New Rose Hotel (William Gibson adaptation that it's not clear if he completed himself or not - too much dope), and I love Dangerous Game and The Blackout too. Mary is also very good.

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm a big Ferrara fan, one of my favorite American directors, but his gangsta films really aren't my favorite of him. I know I'm absolutely alone in this, and it's unwatchable to most, but my favorite one is New Rose Hotel (William Gibson adaptation that it's not clear if he completed himself or not - too much dope), and I love Dangerous Game and The Blackout too. Mary is also very good.

I'm actually only familiar with his gangster films. I don't know if I'd call Bad Lieutenant one, but good lord, he gets massive returns out of both Christopher Walken and Harvey Keitel in their respective films, the latter probably being my second favorite performance of all-time.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm actually only familiar with his gangster films. I don't know if I'd call Bad Lieutenant one, but good lord, he gets massive returns out of both Christopher Walken and Harvey Keitel in their respective films, the latter probably being my second favorite of all-time.

Well Keitel is in Dangerous Game, and Walken in New Rose Hotel, so you're good. In The Blackout, you have Béatrice Dalle, so f*** the rest.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm not sure where else to put this and this might get me slammed but I keep watching videos of Stephen A. Smith and concluding that he's phenomenal practioner of performance art. He just kind of plays the role of washed-up, opiniated uncle to perfection. I think the format perhaps takes little too much room in the mainstream, but damn if it's not a great schtick.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hollywood Banker (2014) :

Mildly interesting documentary about the financing of movies in the 1980's by a Dutch banker named Frans Afman.

4/10

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Political thriller is perhaps one of my favourite genre in film, because even though every country tackles it differently, and it often does not translate across borders effectively, I find that to be the exact charm, as it is a very good way to get a glimpse at how the people there see their own government, and by extension, their overall worldview. Of course, it is not a complete picture, and the narrative is often from the side of the intelligentsia, but like stereotypes, there is a sense of truth within, and it does help to understand a particular culture. The Hater is Poland's attempt at the genre, and it is probably the most current and up-to-date look at it.

Directed by Jan Komasa, who just released the Oscar-nominated Corpus Christi last year, The Hater is one of the first movies that I watched to explore the role of social media in politics. Of course, the movie does not provide a complete breakdown of the methods, and details can still be murky, but even the most rudimentary exploration shows how easily one can sway the public's opinion from the shadows, without being discovered and held accountable. It is an especially timely release too, because the world is truly on the precipice, and one of the most important election is about to occur. Poland is probably the best place to look to for an inside look too, because of its ability to straddle between the East and West due to its past history, and the proximity to one of the countries that the U.S. intelligence continues to accuse of foreign influence into its politics.

Like all Polish films, the deliberate pace can be an issue, and despite being a thriller, the movie definitely takes its time. About 80% of the movie is the setup, and while the director tries to keep the audience engaged with pop up of text messages, computer animated video game scenes that Poland is actually quite advanced at, and a sound track and mix that can clash with the images on screen and creates even more tension at times, I still lose focus at different points of the movie, and I even had to walk away a couple of times. Luckily, the climax and subsequent ending is worth the wait, as there is a sense of catharsis, but also brings up even more questions and issues to explore, and the movie, as a result, leaves quite the impact on the audience. While there are plotholes that seems to force the issue and they do add up, the ending manages to mask all the inadequacies. In fact, I can talk about the ending for days, because there is just so much to unpack.

Komasa also has a great eye for talent too, because like with Bartosz Bielenia in Corpus Christi, Maciej Musialowski is a great casting choice. In order to survive and then thrive in the dark arts of political disinformation, the protagonist is essentially a psychopath. He has the charisma for people to trust him, but there is always a sinister undertone with him that borders on creepiness. Somehow though, he hides it rather well in front of other characters, and as a result, only the audience can sense the danger he evokes. Add to the few instances of genuine emotions he displays, he becomes a very dynamic character that the audience cannot help but be drawn to, despite a general dislike for how despicable he truly is. It is a very difficult role to play, but Musialowski manages to completely carry the movie. Like in Corpus Christi, Komasa coaxed another great performance, and that is a credit to him too.

Polish films continues to be a mystery to me. After Corpus Christi, which I raved, I have to hear about the hilariously terrible reviews of 365 days. Honestly, that does not surprise me, because that is often how my experiences with Polish films goes.
That said, Polish films is interesting enough to not be just written off, and in order to avoid the messes, it may be best to go with directors. Of course, there are the world renown Krzysztof Kieślowski and Paweł Pawlikowski, and Jan Komasa is another name to watch. It is often rare for a director to have two great movies released in back-to-back years, but The Hater is a very worthy follow-up to Corpus Christi. I wavered between 6.75 to 7.5, because this one takes a lot of patience to get to the destination, and there are a number of plotholes that diminishes the experience. Fortunately, there are a lot of things the movie did right, and add to the fact that it is an important and timely topic, along with one of the best climax I have seen in years, a great lead performance and lots of details to unpack, I will settle it as a 7/10 for now. I believe it is on Netflix now, so if people have the time, I highly recommend it. It will definitely challenge the audience.

Edit: After some time to reflect, I have dropped this down to 6.25. There is one plothole that just cannot be rationalized, and it actually torpedoes the whole movie for me now. I still think this is an interesting movie, and the topic it brings forth are timely and important, but I now see that there are just too many problems with the script, and even a very slick director and production team cannot save it.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was pretty disappointed by it myself.

To be fair, I went into the movie completely blank, other than my knowledge of his previous film, and this one is so different, that it probably skewed my perception of the movie. However, I thought the ending is rather weak, and ultimately, the whole movie adds nothing new to what the general public already knows about the effects of fame. I was bored by it, and I thought it was a waste of time.

At this point, I am not sure how I feel about Garrone as a director. I saw Reality and Dogman, and both follow-ups have fallen painfully short of the promise he showed in Gomorrah.
I can see your point. I didn't especially like the movie either, but I thought it was very well done. As I mentioned in the review the bookend sequences at the beginning and end are brilliant and really do provide an interesting take of "reality." Like his countrymen, Paulo Sorrentino, Matteo Garrone may make very good movies that I just don't like that much. But that's my problem, not his.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1*OyquQBUfbe3FPM45nN4Wfw.jpeg

The Night Comes for Us
(2018) Directed by Timo Tjahjanto 6A

An action movie for people who like a ton of action in their action movies. Ito (Joe Taslim), a paramilitary type accustomed to blowing away peasants by the dozens, finally hesitates when he sees a little girl on the beach who has just somehow survived a slaughter of boat people. Rather than kill her, which everyone expects him to do, he decides to machinegun all his men. Sheesh--and some people think I’m impulsive. Don’t worry about logic or psychology in this flick, though. The ridiculous premise of The Night Comes for Us is just an excuse to focus on scads upon scads of terrific fight scenes. The mayhem usually involves Taslim and Iko Uwais, protagonists in the first of the ultra-violent but very good The Raid movies. This time around the remarkable Uvais handles most of the choreography, as well, and he is exceptionally good at it. As for the young girl, she remains in the movie, but she has served her purpose and no one pays much attention to her. The Night Comes for Us is short on plot but very high on bone-crunching mayhem.

subtitles

Netflix

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I will not stand for the Winnipeg slander in here!

We have some very nice parks ya know... and meth, lots of meth.

It's cheap though! And great lake life in the summer lol.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The sky is beautiful at night if you drive into all that flat land outside Winnipeg a little ways. Thunder and lightning storms that look like they cover the entire galaxy can be pretty awesome to observe out there, too. And the city used to have a great folk festival annually.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
25467253.jpg

Seducao da Carne (2019) Directed by Julio Bressane 7C

Seducao da Carne
is a Brazilian film about a pretty girl, a parrot (gender unspecified), and a lot of raw meat. It is from a group of directors who responded to Brazil's fledgling Cinema Novo with a radical movement that they call Cinema Marginal. Being a little familiar with both, these guys get my vote if I had to pick between the two. The first half of the movie consists of 14 minutes worth of establishing shots of Brazilian nature followed by a long one-way conversation between a pretty girl and the parrot who discretely remains silent. She talks about this and that, and the parrot politely pays attention, looking rather intelligent and thoughtful for a bird. The camera set ups and atmosphere are such that I remained really interested throughout this section. In most scenes there are pieces of raw meat lying around somewhere unobtrusively. They will play a role in the rest of the movie. In the second half of the movie we get much less of the parrot (I missed him or her), and most of the time is spent involved with a couple of nicely photographed erotic sequences involving in the first instance a bird's wing (Leda and the Swan reference, almost certainly), and in the second sequence, perhaps even more oddly, a lot of raw steaks who have taken on the guise of outer space monsters from '50s "B" science fiction movies. The first sequence involving the feather was neat; the second sequence involving the meat I will leave to your imagination, but both sequences worked very well as cinema. Seducao da Carne is certainly marginal, experimental cinema, but I gotta say that its sheer originality and cinematic polish left me extremely impressed. Yes, it is a wild approach, but, hell, it beats the daylights out of watching yet another tired bank heist movie. If I had a top ten this year, which I don't yet, Seducao da Carne would be in it.

subtitles

MUBI

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If you drive to Gimli.
Lake of the Woods is better. It's definitely not in the city but a couple hours drive is nothing.

Aren't there a LOT of bugs?
We have a reputation for really bad bugs, but they haven't been too bad the last few years.

@kihei is right though, some beautiful storm watching, especially at the lake. I have never been crazy about folkfest but some people love it (my girlfriend being one of them).

Winnipeg is easy to hate on, it's really not that bad, it's just not all that great either lol.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4