Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +4

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
25467253.jpg

Seducao da Carne (2019) Directed by Julio Bressane 7C

Seducao da Carne
is a Brazilian film about a pretty girl, a parrot (gender unspecified), and a lot of raw meat. It is from a group of directors who responded to Brazil's fledgling Cinema Novo with a radical movement that they call Cinema Marginal. Being a little familiar with both, these guys get my vote if I had to pick between the two. The first half of the movie consists of 14 minutes worth of establishing shots of Brazilian nature followed by a long one-way conversation between a pretty girl and the parrot who discretely remains silent. She talks about this and that, and the parrot politely pays attention, looking rather intelligent and thoughtful for a bird. The camera set ups and atmosphere are such that I remained really interested throughout this section. In most scenes there are pieces of raw meat lying around somewhere unobtrusively. They will play a role in the rest of the movie. In the second half of the movie we get much less of the parrot (I missed him or her), and most of the time is spent involved with a couple of nicely photographed erotic sequences involving in the first instance a bird's wing (Leda and the Swan reference, almost certainly), and in the second sequence, perhaps even more oddly, a lot of raw steaks who have taken on the guise of outer space monsters from '50s "B" science fiction movies. The first sequence involving the feather was neat; the second sequence involving the meat I will leave to your imagination, but both sequences worked very well as cinema. Seducao da Carne is certainly marginal, experimental cinema, but I gotta say that its sheer originality and cinematic polish left me extremely impressed. Yes, it is a wild approach, but, hell, it beats the daylights out of watching yet another tired bank heist movie. If I had a top ten this year, which I don't yet, Seducao da Carne would be in it.

subtitles

MUBI

There's just too much stuff, but if you find a way to search through it, you might enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZfgNbkYFhDmcoFazhrtdFg/videos

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Top Secret!

with a fresh-faced Val Kilmer, and other people

Often overlooked spy spoof from the team that brought us Airplane! and the Naked Gun series. In his first starring role, Kilmer stares vacantly out at the world as Nick Rivers, an American singing sensation brought over for East Germany's big cultural festival when Leonard Bernstein cancels, but it's all a big distraction for evil East Germany's plan to blow up the Allies' submarine fleet. Or something. In the same vein as the usual Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker fare from the 80's, the visual gags come fast and furious as Nick meets the comely Hilary (part of the French resistance), who's trying to rescue her scientist father from the Nazi-ish evil guys. Physical humour and quippy writing ensues.

One I fondly remember from my childhood once upon a time; just felt the need to watch it again. A notch down from the other movies I mentioned, mainly because Val Kilmer's no Leslie Nielsen, but still funny and still better than the vast, vast majority of modern comedies. It's silly, sophomoric, but still earnest. A lot of the visual humour is in the background and the closer you watch it the more you find. Becomes funnier if you speak German; Nick and Hilary dine at the swanky restaurant "Cafe Gay Urination", and a Gestapo henchman responds to his orders by shouting: "I love you, my treasure!"

top_secret_intruder_2.png

^^This part actually made the PG-13 version when it was released. Really. Different world back then...

*edit* The phrase "worth less than a truckload of dead rats in a tampon factory" is a joke from this movie that I still work into general conversation whenever the opportunity presents itself to this day.

You inspired me to watch this last night. I'm sure that I saw it when I was much younger, but didn't remember anything about it. I liked it. The first half hour wasn't very funny to me, but I laughed quite a bit after that (specifically, after he's thrown in jail). I'm not sure if the movie actually gets funnier or if it just takes some time to get used to.

I was impressed by the talent that Kilmer shows in this. His acting isn't great, but not bad for a debut film role. I was more impressed by his dancing and singing. It's a very Kevin Bacon-like debut (which is maybe not a coincidence because I'm reading that he was discovered while doing a stage play with Bacon). I'm also reading that he co-wrote a script and even a book of his own poetry around the same time. It's strange that someone so smart and talented went on to become a 2nd-rate action star and let his attitude and health get progressively worse.

Anyways, it's not at Airplane!'s level, as you said, and has even less of a plot, but it's amusing. It certainly helped to get my mind off of the day. Considering that I had trouble falling asleep the night before (because a lot was on my mind) and had my best sleep in a week last night, maybe I should watch more comedy before bed. Hmm.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I'm not sure where else to put this and this might get me slammed but I keep watching videos of Stephen A. Smith and concluding that he's phenomenal practioner of performance art. He just kind of plays the role of washed-up, opiniated uncle to perfection. I think the format perhaps takes little too much room in the mainstream, but damn if it's not a great schtick.

You are wrong, and I will tell you why...
;)

You might be the only person I know who will elevate Stephen A. to artist level. At this point, I will only watch him when someone rubs the Knick's misfortune in his face.
:laugh:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
;)

You might be the only person I know who will elevate Stephen A. to artist level. At this point, I will only watch him when someone rubs the Knick's misfortune in his face.
In his case, I think greater familiarity breeds contempt. There's always Don Cherry to consider....oh, wait...

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
In his case, I think greater familiarity breeds contempt. There's always Don Cherry to consider....oh, wait...

I can never get over the fact that when CBC did The Greatest Canadian show back in 2004, Don Cherry was No. 7 on the top 10 list, over Wayne Gretzky who barely made it at 10. That was when I lost faith in humanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I like Don Cherry. He's a nice man, altho I met someone who knew him and she said he was a grumpy old man in person.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I like Don Cherry. He's a nice man, altho I met someone who knew him and she said he was a grumpy old man in person.

I never liked Coach's Corner. Even back in my teens, I never understood why he can go on tirades against European players. It only got worst as the years went by.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
;)

I mean, I'm not sure if I'd call him an artist, but I think whether he is or not would be an entertaining thought to go through. We just don't have enough information about what is and is not when it comes to Stephen A. Smith. I just think his schtick and its execution to be weirdly creative and entertaining. Like, I can readily admit that it's not something that I think is conductive to the appreciation of just how interesting sports can be but in a twisted way, I think it's great and far better (and certainly less offensive) than what Cherry used to do. In short, I just think he's a phenomenal troll, even if I think trolling is idiotic. But to do it at the level that he's doing it...I suppose, it's impressive. It kind of reminds me of Herzog speaking about how enthralling it is to gaze intensely in a chicken's eye and describing the grasping of a chicken's stupidity as quite the experience.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The Mustang (2019) It had a good premise and puts the spotlight on a real program that happens in prison. However the slow burn of the first half and less than transformational acting doesn't really make up for the solid second half ( 5.5/10)

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) Wow what a movie. I don't really even know where to began. It has long been on my list, and I've heard all the conspiracies about it. It is an ethereal dream/nightmare with just superb directing and storytelling. It almost would have been better to see the movie without the a list leads, I dont think they add much to it, which would be my only criticism. However it's still fitting in the context that those 2 are playing them. (9/10)

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
I have passed through this playing on tv quite a few times as a kid finally saw it all the way through as an adult. Not impressed at all, it sort of really frustrated me tbh. Jumanji is way better (5/10)

Kill Bill Vol1 (2003)
Finally knocked these off my Tarantino list (only 2 left). I felt like the first installment was more of a setup for the second; it was meant to hook you in to the aesthetic, but not be a stand alone great movie. It's still fun though (7/10)
Kill Bill Vol2 (2004)
I feel like the story comes to life once we get familiar with Bill. Loved the way the whole thing progresses up to the climax. Tarantino knows how to tell one good, violent ass story (8.5/10)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)
I actually re-watched a whole bunch of old disney movies with the GF while we played one long game of monopoly over the course of a few days. I did not realize how much better this one is say to a movie like The Aristocats, which to be fair is understandable when you're watching these films as a kid. It is so beautifully animated with a simple story that hooks you in, maybe even more so as an adult viewer. There's superb songs by Peggy Lee, and a great score and voice acting. I think the post war 1950's Disney movies before his death were some of the best made. This might be the pinnacle of those, and the spaghetti scene might be the most iconic animation sequence in their history as well (9.5/10)

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The Mustang (2019) It had a good premise and puts the spotlight on a real program that happens in prison. However the slow burn of the first half and less than transformational acting doesn't really make up for the solid second half ( 5.5/10)

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) Wow what a movie. I don't really even know where to began. It has long been on my list, and I've heard all the conspiracies about it. It is an ethereal dream/nightmare with just superb directing and storytelling. It almost would have been better to see the movie without the a list leads, I dont think they add much to it, which would be my only criticism. However it's still fitting in the context that those 2 are playing them. (9/10)

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
I have passed through this playing on tv quite a few times as a kid finally saw it all the way through as an adult. Not impressed at all, it sort of really frustrated me tbh. Jumanji is way better (5/10)

Kill Bill Vol1 (2003)
Finally knocked these off my Tarantino list (only 2 left). I felt like the first installment was more of a setup for the second; it was meant to hook you in to the aesthetic, but not be a stand alone great movie. It's still fun though (7/10)
Kill Bill Vol2 (2004)
I feel like the story comes to life once we get familiar with Bill. Loved the way the whole thing progresses up to the climax. Tarantino knows how to tell one good, violent ass story (8.5/10)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)
I actually re-watched a whole bunch of old disney movies with the GF while we played one long game of monopoly over the course of a few days. I did not realize how much better this one is say to a movie like The Aristocats, which to be fair is understandable when you're watching these films as a kid. It is so beautifully animated with a simple story that hooks you in, maybe even more so as an adult viewer. There's superb songs by Peggy Lee, and a great score and voice acting. I think the post war 1950's Disney movies before his death were some of the best made. This might be the pinnacle of those, and the spaghetti scene might be the most iconic animation sequence in their history as well (9.5/10)

I'm checking out Eyes Wide Shut this weekend, looking forward to it.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm in the minority, of course, but Eyes Wide Shut is just another overrated Stanley Kubrick film - there is a long list of them.

I'm working my way through his filmography slowly. Have seen 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining so far.
Which of his movies do you consider to be overrated?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
All of them. I don't love (or even like) any of his work.

If I was forced to watch one, it would be 2001.

Is it a matter of not being entertained by it, or something else? From my limited viewing, I’ve got the impression that Kubrick was more interested in doing boundary-pushing things with his visuals and subject matter than making fun to watch movies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

If you have the time, check out The Rider. Both works deal with similar themes and location, but The Rider is much better executed.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Is it a matter of not being entertained by it, or something else? From my limited viewing, I’ve got the impression that Kubrick was more interested in doing boundary-pushing things with his visuals and subject matter than making fun to watch movies.
Neither. I've just never been impressed with his movies. Most times I'm downright bored.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille