Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +4

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Unbelievable (2019) :

Unbelievable is Netflix's female version of True Detective, as 2 detectives team up to catch a serial rapist. While I hated True Detective, I enjoyed Unbelievable, even if it is too long - it should have been 6 episodes instead of 8.

The writing is too preachy but the acting is top notch.

7/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Color out of Space

with *takes deep breath* Nicholas Cage, Joely Richardson, Tommy Chong (!), and various other people.

Ol' Bulging Eyes is Nathan Gardner, who has moved his family to his huge familial farmhouse somewhere deep in the woods to raise alpacas and grow veggies following his wife Theresa's mastectomy. As one would. 3 kids; teenage emo wiccan daughter Lavinia, slightly younger stoner doofus Benny, and much younger space cadet moppet Jack. One random day, Lavinia's doing a wiccan ritual at a riverside when along rolls Ward, a hydrologist who's strolling through the forest doing vague water table testing and macking on teenage chicks. They shyly part ways, and we get a night of the dysfunctional Gardner family in action. They're annoying, but not necessarily toxic...until later that night when a meteorite crashes into their backyard and infects it with a neon-fuschia/purple/indigo color. Everyone's nonplussed the day after when it sinks into the earth and disappears, but then strange goings-on start happening. People lose track of time, electronics stop working, animals start acting strangely and changing...and that's just the beginning. Important note: when a hydrologist tells you not to drink the water, listen to him.

Adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft story; ends up kind of like a combination of The Thing and Annihilation. Both of which are far better movies. You feel for some of the characters going through it, and it's not a bad ride to as you're going along, very interesting visually, but there's a problem. It's got a receding hairline, wears comfy flannel sweaters, and shouts uncontrollably. You see Nicholas Cage's name on a marquee, and you take your chances but this time...whoa. He really lets himself go into new dimensions of overacting. It's so damn annoying. It's the Trump Presidency of Nicholas Cage performances. Every time you think he can't go lower, he grabs a shovel and starts digging. Distractingly bad. Almost single-handedly ruins the movie all by itself.

Also interesting, this was the first movie directed by Richard Stanley since he was fired from the debacle of The Island of Dr Moreau and f***ed off to spend months living in the forest around the set. If you haven't looked up the history surrounding the filming of that movie, do so now. It's more entertaining than any dozen movies starring Nicholas Cage you're likely to see.

Color-Out-of-Space-1.jpg

Goddammit. Last week it was roadworks, now this.

Reactions: kihei

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
A week or two ago, we talked about a list of great English Canadian films, and if co-productions count, I would like to throw some support towards the 2014 indie Copenhagen, a venture between the U.S. and Canada.

On the surface, there is not a particular part that stands out. Even though the cinematographer utilizes the location wisely, and the movie looks beautiful as a result, we do live in the age of cinematography, as kihei once wrote, and in comparison, the camerawork is slightly above average. Meanwhile, the actors are natural, and they play their role well, but frankly, they are serviceable, at best.

What impresses me the most is the script. While it is not the main focus, part of the movie does explore a relationship between a 14 year old and someone twice her age that develops throughout the film, and that is always a tricky subject matter to tackle, because it can turn creepy very quickly. Fortunately, the writer-director is able to straddle the line rather well, and that relationship, despite a romantic element, is rather innocent. In essence, he crafted a heartfelt coming-of-age story with realistic character growth that the audience can connect with, and that is no easy feat, especially for a first-time director.

In all fairness, Copenhagen probably does not make the cut as one of the best films from English Canada. That said, I really enjoyed this nice little gem, and I think it deserves at least an honourable mention. I have it as a 7/10, and I highly recommend it to people who wants to see something light but is still able to tug at the heartstrings.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Hamilton (Disney Plus)

It was amazing. 5 out of 5. I'm not big into musicals but this was fantastic from start to finish. Educational, too.

I listened to the soundtrack on youtube, and that is great too. I am never into theatre, but I really wish I could have seen the original run. It just seems like it is a blast.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
gone-baby-gone1-1.jpeg

Gone, Baby, Gone
(2007) Directed by Ben Affleck 7A

A four-year-old girl goes missing, and Patrick (Casey Affleck) and Angie (Michelle Monaghan) are hired by the child’s grieving family to assist the police in their investigations. Complicating the matter immensely is the fact that the child’s mother is a cocaine addict with no sense of parental responsibility at all. Patrick and Angie team up with two police detectives (Ed Harris and John Ashton) and they all get involved in a kidnap payoff scheme involving drug money that has serious consequences for the missing child. But even after he should stop doing so, Patrick keeps digging and the story doesn’t end there. Gone, Baby, Gone is a gripping adaptation of Denis Lehane’s crime novel which is in a tie for his best work along with Mystic River, which was made into a fine movie as well. It’s a complicated plot, and director Ben Affleck fumbles too many of its intricacies (this second viewing revealed so much I didn’t get the first time around), but overall it is a powerful story even with the directorial miscues. To his credit, though, Ben certainly doesn’t shy away from the moral implications of this work. It is one of those movies about which you can debate its conclusions all night long and still not feel confident that you have come up with a satisfactory answer. Too bad Casey Affleck has become persona non grata in Hollywood—he definitely got the acting chops in the family.

Netfllix

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
gone-baby-gone1-1.jpeg

Gone, Baby, Gone

A four-year-old girl goes missing, and Patrick (Casey Affleck) and Angie (Michelle Monaghan) are hired by the child’s grieving family to assist the police in their investigations. Complicating the matter immensely is the fact that the child’s mother is a cocaine addict with no sense of parental responsibility at all. Patrick and Angie team up with two police detectives (Ed Harris and John Ashton) and they all get involved in a kidnap payoff scheme involving drug money that has serious consequences for the missing child. But even after he should stop doing so, Patrick keeps digging and the story doesn’t end there. Gone, Baby, Gone is a gripping adaptation of Denis Lehane’s crime novel which is in a tie for his best work along with Mystic River, which was made into a fine movie as well. It’s a complicated plot, and director Ben Affleck fumbles too many of its intricacies (this second viewing revealed so much I didn’t get the first time around), but overall it is a powerful story even with the directorial miscues. To his credit, though, Ben certainly doesn’t shy away from the moral implications of this work. It is one of those movies about which you can debate its conclusions all night long and still not feel confident that you have come up with a satisfactory answer. Too bad Casey Affleck has become persona non grata in Hollywood—he definitely got the acting chops in the family.

Netfllix
Well written, terrific acting, and the beautiful Michelle Monaghan. What more could you ask?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
gone-baby-gone1-1.jpeg

Gone, Baby, Gone

Netfllix

Interesting that you posted this as I was watching this movie last night. Didn’t finish it though. Probably will do that today.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
gone-baby-gone1-1.jpeg

Gone, Baby, Gone

Netfllix

Still my vote for Ben Affleck's best work as a director despite the greater attention and accolades for The Town and Argo.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Still my vote for Ben Affleck's best work as a director despite the greater attention and accolades for The Town and Argo.

Agreed. It was such a great start too, that I thought he could possibly be the next Clint Eastwood. I cannot say he underachieved, but I am definitely not as excited about his potential as I once was. All I can say is that he is indeed a better director than an actor, but he is probably a poor man's Eastwood, at best.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I found it very difficult to figure out the plot the first time I saw Gone, Baby, Gone, and the second time things became much clearer. In this instance, i didn't feel like it was a case of me just not getting it the first time, so much as the way the "tells" are organized and easy to miss. It's a fine film, but Casey carries it more than Ben. I'd probably go with The Town as Aff;ecl's best directed movie of the three, though it is nowhere as interesting as Gone, Baby, Gone.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Color out of Space

with *takes deep breath* Nicholas Cage, Joely Richardson, Tommy Chong (!), and various other people.

Ol' Bulging Eyes is Nathan Gardner, who has moved his family to his huge familial farmhouse somewhere deep in the woods to raise alpacas and grow veggies following his wife Theresa's mastectomy. As one would. 3 kids; teenage emo wiccan daughter Lavinia, slightly younger stoner doofus Benny, and much younger space cadet moppet Jack. One random day, Lavinia's doing a wiccan ritual at a riverside when along rolls Ward, a hydrologist who's strolling through the forest doing vague water table testing and macking on teenage chicks. They shyly part ways, and we get a night of the dysfunctional Gardner family in action. They're annoying, but not necessarily toxic...until later that night when a meteorite crashes into their backyard and infects it with a neon-fuschia/purple/indigo color. Everyone's nonplussed the day after when it sinks into the earth and disappears, but then strange goings-on start happening. People lose track of time, electronics stop working, animals start acting strangely and changing...and that's just the beginning. Important note: when a hydrologist tells you not to drink the water, listen to him.

Adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft story; ends up kind of like a combination of The Thing and Annihilation. Both of which are far better movies. You feel for some of the characters going through it, and it's not a bad ride to as you're going along, very interesting visually, but there's a problem. It's got a receding hairline, wears comfy flannel sweaters, and shouts uncontrollably. You see Nicholas Cage's name on a marquee, and you take your chances but this time...whoa. He really lets himself go into new dimensions of overacting. It's so damn annoying. It's the Trump Presidency of Nicholas Cage performances. Every time you think he can't go lower, he grabs a shovel and starts digging. Distractingly bad. Almost single-handedly ruins the movie all by itself.

Also interesting, this was the first movie directed by Richard Stanley since he was fired from the debacle of The Island of Dr Moreau and f***ed off to spend months living in the forest around the set. If you haven't looked up the history surrounding the filming of that movie, do so now. It's more entertaining than any dozen movies starring Nicholas Cage you're likely to see.

Color-Out-of-Space-1.jpg

Goddammit. Last week it was roadworks, now this.
I wanted to watch this but I can't watch anything with Nick Cage.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I found it very difficult to figure out the plot the first time I saw Gone, Baby, Gone, and the second time things became much clearer. In this instance, i didn't feel like it was a case of me just not getting it the first time, so much as the way the "tells" are organized and easy to miss. It's a fine film, but Casey carries it more than Ben. I'd probably go with The Town as Aff;ecl's best directed movie of the three, though it is nowhere as interesting as Gone, Baby, Gone.

That's a fair distinction. The Town does have a few sequences/set pieces that are well done. The internal morality of The Town rubs me the wrong way though so I can't quite embrace it as much as others seem to. It can't quite balance its desire to both be cool and also have consequences. (Affleck gets to be cool and everyone else suffers the consequences).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: