Last game at the Joe

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
But we coulda had Jagr instead that year. You realize that? Can you imagine the possibilities? We would have gotten at least another cup maybe 2 more than the 97/98 in the 90s.

It's funny I remember those hockey cards from that draft, I think Brodeur was another one along with Ricci and Trevor Kidd.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Primeau did have some decent hype though. Heck Bowman and Devellano thought enough of him they wanted to ship out Yzerman for a time...

I said hysteric hype. For a 10 year old wings fan, I had no idea about Primeau, Lindros had the future superstar card I thought would make me rich someday lol.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was cold.

That’s the first thing I remember about going to my first Detroit Red Wings game on December 30th, 2008, among other things. Snow gathered along the roadways as my father, cousin, uncle and I went down I-75 to downtown Detroit. I had not been a Red Wings, nor hockey lover on December 30th, 2007. However, like the Detroit Tigers did with their magical run to a World Series appearance in 2006 that inspired my love for baseball, the Wings did the same for hockey with their Stanley Cup Championship in 2008. I was hooked from that fateful June night and moved to show it on a certain December night.

An Ode to the Joe

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/04/08/an-ode-to-the-joe/

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Except Toronto and Edmonton fans aren't doing that now because they're in the playoffs. So it ends eventually. Which is the point of the system.

Also people exaggerate how much teams actually tank. Teams don't even really tank often at all.

Did the fans of Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, Montreal - just to name the blatant tanker the past few years - cheer them on their journey to the bottom? Are Detroit fans currently cheering for the Wings to lose? Is fielding non-competitive rosters on purpose (thus compromising the overall competitive level of the league) considered brilliant management? Does any of this sound healthy and rational to you?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
It's funny I remember those hockey cards from that draft, I think Brodeur was another one along with Ricci and Trevor Kidd.

Yup Brodeur was real late in the 11st round. And eewww Ricci, oh hell no. That guy was hit with the broad side of bus.:laugh:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I said hysteric hype. For a 10 year old wings fan, I had no idea about Primeau, Lindros had the future superstar card I thought would make me rich someday lol.

Right I had like a dozen upper deck rookie cards that ended being worth jack ****. Ah the money I wasted on cards in my youth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did the fans of Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, Montreal - just to name the blatant tanker the past few years - cheer them on their journey to the bottom? Are Detroit fans currently cheering for the Wings to lose? Is fielding non-competitive rosters on purpose (thus compromising the overall competitive level of the league) considered brilliant management? Does any of this sound healthy and rational to you?

Teams don't field non competitive teams on purpose. That's a myth.

And of those teams Buffalo is really the only one to blatantly tank.

Montreal? Really?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Teams don't field non competitive teams on purpose. That's a myth.

And of those teams Buffalo is really the only one to blatantly tank.

Montreal? Really?

100% disagree with everything you said here and can see that arguing about it would lead to nothing productive, so agree to disagree :)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
$200 on Stub Hub right now. I'd bite for the experience if I could make it. If only I could teleport.

I thought long and hard about it since I could have flown nonstop from my home to Detroit, but I have to cover for someone at work tonight, so TV will do, I guess. Blah.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks Detroit for a near perfect hockey weekend. I'm glad i got to see the Joe before it's gone. I only wish I'd come sooner.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Was at the game, what a great experience. From the red carpet and getting to chat up some players, to Hank's 1000th, to Sheahan scoring, to the win, to the post-game ceremony, what a great day. Got home to Chicago at about 3am for a few hours of sleep before going to work. Totally worth it. To those who were hoping for a loss, go pee in a headwind :laugh:

I read there were 35 octopi thrown. Felt like a 100.

I did have a 3/8 wrench with me to detach a seat after the game, but decided not to ruin the evening by possibly going to jail :naughty:

So long, Joe, and thanks for all the memories :cheers:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I did have a 3/8 wrench with me to detach a seat after the game, but decided not to ruin the evening by possibly going to jail :naughty:

Oh I hear you. You DIDN'T take any seats. WINK. Nothing to see here. WINK.

But seriously, glad you and everyone else had an amazing time. Sounds like an incredible hockey highlight to be there.

Mr Pipe

Mar 1, 2008
Was at the game, what a great experience. From the red carpet and getting to chat up some players, to Hank's 1000th, to Sheahan scoring, to the win, to the post-game ceremony, what a great day. Got home to Chicago at about 3am for a few hours of sleep before going to work. Totally worth it. To those who were hoping for a loss, go pee in a headwind :laugh:

I read there were 35 octopi thrown. Felt like a 100.

So long, Joe, and thanks for all the memories :cheers:

Security threatened to ban me from LCA and call the cops on me because I grabbed a helmet that was sitting on the floor by my feet after the ceremony. I did intend on taking it but I gave it back immediately after they asked. I guess it belonged to the ice cleaning crew.

Ended up meeting a bunch of players, got a nice pic with Yzerman, another one with Mickey and a very blurry one with DMac. Probably my favorite Wings game I've ever been to.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Oh I hear you. You DIDN'T take any seats. WINK. Nothing to see here. WINK.

But seriously, glad you and everyone else had an amazing time. Sounds like an incredible hockey highlight to be there.

There has ALWAYS been 20,065 seats at the Joe.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That is so weird to me, mainly because the maintenance people who are having to disassemble the penalty box for future events have to deal with ****ing ashes on top of it.

Here is a picture of his daughter and MRs. Probert with the ashes. I think they litterally sprinkled them it wasn't like they dumped a whole box lol
636273631227768816-Probert.jpg

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I missed if a link was posted is there a place to download or stream the game and ceremony? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad