Last game at the Joe

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
Greetings.
With the end of the season rapidly approaching I'm just curious would you rather see us win the last ever game at the Joe? Or would you prefer to lose and maintain our 5th place lottery %? We'll assume for now that Dallas and Florida lose all their remaining games and hold their places at 6th and 7th.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Greetings.
With the end of the season rapidly approaching I'm just curious would you rather see us win the last ever game at the Joe? Or would you prefer to lose and maintain our 5th place lottery %? We'll assume for now that Dallas and Florida lose all their remaining games and hold their places at 6th and 7th.

The best draft slot that they can have is a 23.5% chance at the top 3 and 7.6% at #1OA. The worst they can have if everything goes "wrong" is 17.1% and 5.4%.

Give me the win to close down a historic dump of a facility over the 6% and 2.2% swing.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah get the win for the fans and take that dump out in style.
If they win the game then the only loss is one of the last non-cooperatized arenas.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The best draft slot that they can have is a 23.5% chance at the top 3 and 7.6% at #1OA. The worst they can have if everything goes "wrong" is 17.1% and 5.4%.

Give me the win to close down a historic dump of a facility over the 6% and 2.2% swing.

Makes sense to me. Let's win the last one.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
I like the idea of winning the last game at the Joe but I'd hate to see us go up to 7th and watch Dallas win the lottery and take Patrick/Hischier. For me I think I'd rather play the odds because I think I'll remember it for alot longer if we win the lottery than if we win/lose the last game. Also as a relatively new fan (to Hockey and DRW) living outside of NA I havn't had the opportunity to go to a game there so it holds less sentimental value.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I like the idea of winning the last game at the Joe but I'd hate to see us go up to 7th and watch Dallas win the lottery and take Patrick/Hischier. For me I think I'd rather play the odds because I think I'll remember it for alot longer if we win the lottery than if we win/lose the last game. Also as a relatively new fan (to Hockey and DRW) living outside of NA I havn't had the opportunity to go to a game there so it holds less sentimental value.

And that's why.

The Joe has tremendous sentimental value to us fans who have been around for a while. Even though the place is a dump and was functionally obsolete when it was built in 1979, it is our dump.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Relying on Center Ice for my hockey this season, my primary fear for this last game is that NBC or the NHL Network will pick up and televise the game. There is nothing that would ruin this moment for me more than having to watch it with the accompaniment of Doc's shrill cawing commentary, Eddie O's eye-rolling back-handed complimentary remarks and Pierre's feigned, over the top enthusiasm ("A Double-Dion!!").

Please NBC, televise the Islanders, the Leafs, the Bolts or some other relevant or non-relevant game instead. I'd much prefer being able to see the pregame, the game and the post game with the FSN feed, even if that means John Keating.

Having vented about that concern, I'll be pulling for two things on Sunday: Primarily, that we close out the old barn with a good, exciting win for the home fans and for the Joe's send off; and secondly, that Riles Sheahan nets a freakin goal (assuming he fails to get one on Saturday).

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Fun fact. In 1979 the wings tied the Quebec nordiques 4-4 in the last home game at olympia

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I really couldn't care less. I won't get any extra joy out of a win from this collection of crap, and a loss doesn't really do much for us in terms of the offseason, and given how little fun I have watching Blashill impersonate a coach, I likely won't watch any of it until the game is over, anyways.

For me, ideally, the send off for the Joe has as little to do with the garbage on the ice and in the front office as possible.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I really couldn't care less. I won't get any extra joy out of a win from this collection of crap, and a loss doesn't really do much for us in terms of the offseason, and given how little fun I have watching Blashill impersonate a coach, I likely won't watch any of it until the game is over, anyways.

For me, ideally, the send off for the Joe has as little to do with the garbage on the ice and in the front office as possible.

Then what the hell does the send off for the Joe mean if you're not interested in the team right now?

I just don't understand this. The "garbage in the front office" is responsible for a good deal of the success that made the Joe the icon it was with how ****ty the building was. I get not wanting to rest on the laurels of prior success, but given the fact that the worst case for our draft pick is hardly worse than where we are currently at, I don't understand the sheer anger.

I just have the feeling that this game will have a ceremonial air no matter the result. Given that case, you might as well win it and cap the old girl off with a bow

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Then what the hell does the send off for the Joe mean if you're not interested in the team right now?

What a stupid question. It's an arena that played a large part in my memories of the team over the last 3+ decades, it's where I saw some all-time great players not only play, but lift the Cup. I couldn't care less about the latest brand of trash wearing the sweater, because for the most part, they have no more relationship to those teams than they do to Gordie Howe or the Dead Wings.

Unbelieveable. So I can only care about the team's past if I unwaveringly support the team's present? Horse crap. Utter horse crap. I won't even address the other 'living in the past' silliness.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
People are gonna have to learn to take their wins and be happy for them because their might not be a lot of winning in the next five years. I look at the future and tanking and draft picks as much as the next guy but when we win I'm happy.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

What a stupid question. It's an arena that played a large part in my memories of the team over the last 3+ decades, it's where I saw some all-time great players not only play, but lift the Cup. I couldn't care less about the latest brand of trash wearing the sweater, because for the most part, they have no more relationship to those teams than they do to Gordie Howe or the Dead Wings.

Unbelieveable. So I can only care about the team's past if I unwaveringly support the team's present? Horse crap. Utter horse crap. I won't even address the other 'living in the past' silliness.

With all due respect these posts right here perfectly summarize why I can't down with the Rebuild crowd. While I respect your individual opinion your hostility to the current team, the fact that you extract zero joy out of little victories and a complete disregard for sentimentality and fun in a single game is not what being a fan is all about (IMO)

For me, this kind of hostile, narrow minded focus would suck all the fun out of being a fan. No wonder you get "no extra joy". Again, for me, being a Red Wings fan is as much about the day to day as it is the long game. Cups are great, and the future shouldn't be disregarded but I can't take a game like this and throw it out as "trash." This single game is in some ways a celebration and nod to the glorious history that made me a fan.

But hey, good luck with that perspective; differing opinions is what makes life interesting. :cheers:

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

I get not being happy about the team and where it currently is. But I guess I just see it differently. I want them to win not because I particularly care about the 16-17 Wings. I know a win doesn't kill their draft chances to land a superstud even in the worst case scenario, so I want the celebratory atmosphere of a win to cap off a building that has that 3 decade period of success.

I suppose I agree that the game against the 16-17 Devils is really irrelevant, but this feels like a game that would be awesome to win 5-0 or something. Get the game out of reach quickly so it turns into a trip down memory lane watching it.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Tanking is for losers. Always has been always will be. Anybody who would support anything other than playing to win doesn't understand how an athlete's mind works.

I'll be there tomorrow night.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tanking is for losers. Always has been always will be. Anybody who would support anything other than playing to win doesn't understand how an athlete's mind works.

I'll be there tomorrow night.
The PLAYERS should (and do) always try to give their best, and win the game. It's not their job to think big picture.

But MANAGEMENT should either make decisions with championship contention in mind, or be prepared for whatever reactions that come their way for the perception that championship contention isn't top priority.

All the good memories I have of The Joe have absolutely nothing to do with this roster, and the fact that this thread even exists points to the state of the franchise. I hope it's a 10-0 Devils victory.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The PLAYERS should (and do) always try to give their best, and win the game. It's not their job to think big picture.

But MANAGEMENT should either make decisions with championship contention in mind, or be prepared for whatever reactions that come their way for the perception that championship contention isn't top priority.

All the good memories I have of The Joe have absolutely nothing to do with this roster, and the fact that this thread even exists points to the state of the franchise. I hope it's a 10-0 Devils victory.

Maybe I'm biased because I'll be at the game, but this kind of mentality towards what could be the last endearing moment we get for awhile as Wings fans is really sad to me.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

This thread exists because of the broken ass system in professional sports where it has become preferable to leverage the hell out of fan loyalty by sucking on purpose until the parity and lottery picks work out and you're not in the bottom of the league anymore instead of actually trying to manage a team. It's a race to the bottom until you're lucky enough to hit the jackpot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This thread exists because of the broken ass system in professional sports where it has become preferable to leverage the hell out of fan loyalty by sucking on purpose until the parity and lottery picks work out and you're not in the bottom of the league anymore instead of actually trying to manage a team. It's a race to the bottom until you're lucky enough to hit the jackpot.

Was it broken during the Yzerman era too?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Was it broken during the Yzerman era too?

Probably. I was too young to comprehend anything then, seeing as I would have not been born yet. I understand your implication with this line of thinking, though... that I only hate it because it hurts Detroit now. I hate it more and it's front of mind because it does, but I don't like that method of team building... even when it lands Detroit a guy like Yzerman. I think it's disrespectful of your fanbase to outwardly try to suck.

But it is made worse by the installation of the salary cap in which there is a much greater emphasis on getting excess value on ELC and bridge deals... so the pressure to suck as bad as possible so you're picking top 5 instead of being mediocre and picking 15th or later is that much more prevalent.

E: Not have been born yet, referring to the drafting of Yzerman. For the mid 90s, that was broken but in a different way. That way you had four teams or so with any legit shot at the title because they had the money and young talent to do it. You had teams throw the last portion of the season to try to land Mario Lemieux as well, but it just seems far more prevalent and brazen now than it did then.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

What's the alternative to the draft as a concept?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad