Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I just gave it a shot, and I thought it was okay, but I wasn't too into it, personally. Admirable effort and attention to detail, but it all kind of amounts to what sounded like a pretty empty and not particularly memorable experience for me. Seems to be the way that I tend to react in general to a lot of modern music that mixes together influences that I'm interested in (and that I tend to find superior). The skill is there and they seem to have the right mentality and sense of ambition, but it's always just missing that extra thing that makes something feel timeless and magical for me.

I'll keep revisiting it, though. Maybe I'll change my mind at a later point.

That's too bad. VDC and Forever Changes are two things that have given a lifting feeling in the pit of my stomach recently. I could listen to International all day long. Naturally, I'd also recommend to revisit it, even if I only heard it for the first time yesterday.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's too bad. VDC and Forever Changes are two things that have given a lifting feeling in the pit of my stomach recently. I could listen to International all day long. Naturally, I'd also recommend to revisit it, even if I only heard it for the first time yesterday.
Will do.

I can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason I find that lush, dreamy, lilting, shoe-gazey vocals/sounds in general tend to have a way of sounding really immediately pleasing, cool, and accessible but kind of engorging, fatiguing, and generic to me after extended listening. They're usually things that appeal to me and that I want to like but end up not being able to get into.

Loveless is pretty much the only exception that I can think of and I get the feeling I'd feel similarly about even that if the distortion didn't drown out/overpower the vocals.

That said, I don't really know if that's what is keeping me from liking this album in the first place. It's not really that vocal-heavy.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Will do.

I can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason I find that lush, dreamy, lilting, shoe-gazey vocals/sounds in general tend to have a way of sounding really immediately pleasing, cool, and accessible but kind of engorging, fatiguing, and generic to me after extended listening. They're usually things that appeal to me and that I want to like but end up not being able to get into.

Loveless is pretty much the only exception that I can think of and I get the feeling I'd feel similarly about even that if the distortion didn't drown out/overpower the vocals.

That said, I don't really know if that's what is keeping me from liking this album in the first place. It's not really that vocal-heavy.

I don't think VDC bests Loveless - very few do - but I get what you're saying. I think fatiguing is a decent way to describe the album - although I was still able to love it throughout its entire run, but I can certainly see how someone can find it overwrought - but I still feel like the music being played is highly original and stretches its musical ambitions to its utmost extent to great success. With that said, I do notice that I am an easier critic than you are - and this is to your credit because I think your approach is the right one - and it's far easier to get me excited on a first listen than it is with you. With that said, if I were able to make a list following your blueprint, I don't think my Favorites/Masterpiece list would be as considerable as yours. Very, very few albums have actually grabbed me fully from the first track to the absolute last. I'm just so much of a tracks guy. I like little pieces of here and there.

Last edited:

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Marquee Moon by Television: A
Standout tracks: Venus, Torn Curtain, Friction

We're Only in It for the Money by The Mothers of Invention: A-
Standout tracks: What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?, Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Lonely Little Girl

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd: A-
Standout tracks: Interstellar Overdrive, Bike, Astronomy Domine

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Marquee Moon by Television: A
Standout tracks: Venus, Torn Curtain, Friction

We're Only in It for the Money by The Mothers of Invention: A-
Standout tracks: What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?, Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Lonely Little Girl

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd: A-
Standout tracks: Interstellar Overdrive, Bike, Astronomy Domine

Marquee Moon is so awesome. Venus and Prove It are my favorites.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY

Prove It is my 4th favourite track on the album. That guitar part at the end is just sublime. Honestly, the guitar solos in Marquee Moon as a whole are probably the best Ive heard. That ending in Torn Curtain where the solo drops a couple of tones never ceases to amaze me.

You ever listen to the other two other albums? I think Piper is going to my fav PF album. Animals and TDSOM have kind of cooled off for me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think VDC bests Loveless - very few do - but I get what you're saying. I think fatiguing is a decent way to describe the album - although I was still able to love it throughout its entire run, but I can certainly see how someone can find it overwrought - but I still feel like the music being played is highly original and stretches its musical ambitions to its utmost extent to great success. With that said, I do notice that I am an easier critic than you are - and this is to your credit because I think your approach is the right one - and it's far easier to get me excited on a first listen than it is with you. With that said, if I were able to make a list following your blueprint, I don't think my Favorites/Masterpiece list would be as considerable as yours. Very, very few albums have actually grabbed me fully from the first track to the absolute last. I'm just so much of a tracks guy. I like little pieces of here and there.
Just different preferences. I think I'm an easier critic when it comes to some things but not others. For example, variance/complexity isn't even on my radar most of the time. I'm usually just hyper-critical about how much I like the general thrust/overall sound of something + how consistent and free of missteps it is, whereas how intricate/rich/how much attention went into it doesn't really enter the picture for me.
The words in Prove it (not sure if I'm actually interpreting them correctly though) really get to me. Really simple, charming, disarming, and relateable ideas, especially for anyone opinionated/judgmental/passionate about stuff who bothers arguing about them on a message board. It kind simultaneously mocks/teaches you to have a sense of humor about, and is understanding of those types of inclinations-- stubbornness, caring more and being more possessive about things than there's ever any reason to and never really being able to find a satisfying way to communicate it. It just completely nails all of those little feelings.

Marquee Moon is probably the single album that I feel most comfortable recommending to people, without it feeling like a compromise (most of the stuff I like, I'm more insecure, hesitant, and cynical about expressing to others, at least in real life-- there's usually a very difficult tradeoff between expressing what I think is good and what I think they'll think is good). It's so perfect, yet so accessible.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Prove It is my 4th favourite track on the album. That guitar part at the end is just sublime. Honestly, the guitar solos in Marquee Moon as a whole are probably the best Ive heard. That ending in Torn Curtain where the solo drops a couple of tones never ceases to amaze me.

You ever listen to the other two other albums? I think Piper is going to my fav PF album. Animals and TDSOM have kind of cooled off for me.

Sorry for the late reply. Was away and only glanced at HF in the meantime. Yeah, I've listened to their other stuff and enjoyed it, albeit nowhere near as much as Marquee Moon. Do you feel it rivals it? I'd check it out again if so.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Just different preferences. I think I'm an easier critic when it comes to some things but not others. For example, variance/complexity isn't even on my radar most of the time. I'm usually just hyper-critical about how much I like the general thrust/overall sound of something + how consistent and free of missteps it is, whereas how intricate/rich/how much attention went into it doesn't really enter the picture for me.

The words in Prove it (not sure if I'm actually interpreting them correctly though) really get to me. Really simple, charming, disarming, and relateable ideas, especially for anyone opinionated/judgmental/passionate about stuff who bothers arguing about them on a message board. It kind simultaneously mocks/teaches you to have a sense of humor about, and is understanding of those types of inclinations-- stubbornness, caring more and being more possessive about things than there's ever any reason to and never really being able to find a satisfying way to communicate it. It just completely nails all of those little feelings.

Marquee Moon is probably the single album that I feel most comfortable recommending to people, without it feeling like a compromise (most of the stuff I like, I'm more insecure, hesitant, and cynical about expressing to others, at least in real life-- there's usually a very difficult tradeoff between expressing what I think is good and what I think they'll think is good). It's so perfect, yet so accessible.

How rich something is doesn't have to make it better for me, although I've noticed a lot of my favorite stuff naturally has a richer and more textural sound.

As for the Prove It lyrics, I've never thought of them that way, mostly because the album was released in '77 and message boards weren't a thing :laugh: then I do find the lyrics cute and also kind of always get an understanding smirk - albeit had never connected it to hfboards in particular - when listening to the chorus lyrics. The amount of times my partner rolled her eyes or mocked me while I furiously typed away some argument or review on hfboards has pretty much become a source of amusement for the both of us.

Personally, IRL, I've kind of given up being forward about what I like and would genuiely recommend. I've come to just let people speak first and play it by ear/follow their vibe because people tend to get overly sensitive about the stuff they do like, where as I think a different, more open vibe can be found here - people will be passionate about what they like, try to show you why but won't be offended/frustrated if you don't actually like it and take it as a borderline personal affront. If I meet someone who appears to have similar sensibilities or at least a more open mind then I'll be more open/get excited and the rewards tend to be great (and this happens mostly with people who tend to have more than a passing interest in art, naturally). And not meaning this to be rude or how to word this properly, but it often kind of feels like when someone has a more, uh...simple interest in art - just want to come home and not think, unchallenging entertainment, etc - they tend to be a lot more unwittingly arrogant about art (and that's something common with a few of my male friends and males in general I find) than the stereotypical artsy fartsy types that get widely mocked in mainstream culture. Not that I haven't met these types too to a certain extent - younger folks who study the arts at school tend to have a very derivative approach to it and tend to rattle off basic artistic platitudes without taking much time to consider them and state them as obvious truths and tend to defer too easily to shallow thoughts, IMO but yeah, I've always struggled finding people who embody the right balance that resonates with me, IMO.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Good Earth by The Feelies (1986) - A good guitar record, and the band does well to keep vocals to a minimum. Nothing else that particularly stood out, but there's a cool effect of songs being dropped to go off on guitar tangents. Very serviceable.

Favorite Tracks: Slipping (Into Something) and The Good Earth

Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads (1983) - Terrible. Excessive and kitschy in the worst of ways, representing the worst of the 80s. The only song I like - well, love - is This Must Be the Place. I've always struggled immensely with Talking Heads, though.

Favorite tracks: This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Science Fiction by Ornette Coleman - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Tried this after seeing it in Necropolis' album list and just had a hunch that turned out pretty accurate. There was an adjustment period with the vocal tracks, but overall the album is incredible and still sounds futuristic today. Favorite tracks were Civilization Day, Street Woman, and Rock the Clock, while the title track (which I liked the idea of but sounded a bit too messy and unfocused to my ears) and The Jungle is a Skyscraper (which felt less interesting than everything else on the album) were the only tracks that held it back from feeling like a masterpiece for me.

How rich something is doesn't have to make it better for me, although I've noticed a lot of my favorite stuff naturally has a richer and more textural sound.

As for the Prove It lyrics, I've never thought of them that way, mostly because the album was released in '77 and message boards weren't a thing :laugh: then I do find the lyrics cute and also kind of always get an understanding smirk - albeit had never connected it to hfboards in particular - when listening to the chorus lyrics. The amount of times my partner rolled her eyes or mocked me while I furiously typed away some argument or review on hfboards has pretty much become a source of amusement for the both of us.

Personally, IRL, I've kind of given up being forward about what I like and would genuiely recommend. I've come to just let people speak first and play it by ear/follow their vibe because people tend to get overly sensitive about the stuff they do like, where as I think a different, more open vibe can be found here - people will be passionate about what they like, try to show you why but won't be offended/frustrated if you don't actually like it and take it as a borderline personal affront. If I meet someone who appears to have similar sensibilities or at least a more open mind then I'll be more open/get excited and the rewards tend to be great (and this happens mostly with people who tend to have more than a passing interest in art, naturally). And not meaning this to be rude or how to word this properly, but it often kind of feels like when someone has a more, uh...simple interest in art - just want to come home and not think, unchallenging entertainment, etc - they tend to be a lot more unwittingly arrogant about art (and that's something common with a few of my male friends and males in general I find) than the stereotypical artsy fartsy types that get widely mocked in mainstream culture. Not that I haven't met these types too to a certain extent - younger folks who study the arts at school tend to have a very derivative approach to it and tend to rattle off basic artistic platitudes without taking much time to consider them and state them as obvious truths and tend to defer too easily to shallow thoughts, IMO but yeah, I've always struggled finding people who embody the right balance that resonates with me, IMO.
Missed this. It kind of sucks, because when I first started really clicking with stuff (music, movies, whatever) in college, the enthusiasm I had filled me with a desire to open up to people more than I otherwise would want to about other more normal/practical things, but I had an immediate rude awakening about it that was like "Nope-- keep that **** to yourself," and the deeper I got into it and developed/became more confident in my tastes/interests, the more that that seemed to be the case.

It's probably magnified by the fact that the circles I run in don't involve many of the types of people you're describing, and even things like Dark Side of the Moon are typically considered daunting and impenetrable for a lot of the people I know IRL.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
For anyone here that's into Joy Dision/Echo &.../Sounds, I'd really recommend these two albums from 2015/2018 by Aussie band City Calm Down. A bit of The National on the first one too imo, really excited about these guys cos they're still young and seem mature rather than one of those shitty new NME type hype bands like Blossoms or Pale Waves.

City Calm Down discography

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Torches_foster_the_people.jpg

One of the best alternative albums of this decade. Change my mind.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Faust IV by Faust (1973) - Excellent and without a sore spot. I love the healthy mix of conventional and experimental tracks (sometimes even within a single piece) without a noticeable demarcation. Love the whimsical lyrics accentuated well by a voice that has a bit of a deadpan, tired quality. Listened to the album three times in the past couple of days. Always discover something new so far. I also enjoy the ambient pinch there are is certain songs.

Favorite tracks: Krautrock, The Sad Skinhead, Jennifer, Picnic On A River Deuxieme Tableau, Giggy Smile

That was harder than I imagined. They're all excellent tracks. Only thing is, I haven't gotten that tingling sensation that my absolute favorites can give me for whatever reason, but I don't see a weakness with this record.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Possible Musics Vol. 2: Dream Theory in Malaya by Jon Hassell - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
Starting to like this even more than Vol. 1: Possible Musics.
Faust VI by Faust (1973) - Excellent and without a sore spot. I love the healthy mix of conventional and experimental tracks (sometimes even within a single piece) without a noticeable demarcation. Love the whimsical lyrics accentuated well by a voice that has a bit of a deadpan, tired quality. Listened to the album three times in the past couple of days. Always discover something new so far. I also enjoy the ambient pinch there are is certain songs.

Favorite tracks: Krautrock, The Sad Skinhead, Jennifer, Picnic On A River Deuxieme Tableau, Giggy Smile

That was harder than I imagined. They're all excellent tracks. Only thing is, I haven't gotten that tingling sensation that my absolute favorites can give me for whatever reason, but I don't see a weakness with this record.
Oooh, Faust is absolutely incredible. I would have urgently recommended Krautrock (arguably my favorite track of all time) but I assumed you'd react to it like Hallogallo.

It's Faust IV, btw, not VI. The only thing that keeps it from being one of my favorite albums is that I'm not in love with the final track, "It's a bit of a Pain". It was all so perfect until it hit that point.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
For the life of me I can't get into modern music. Randomly deliberating the stuff I like most and how I feel about the more popular/notable stuff from 2000 until now.

The Ones that I Actually Like:
1. Drukqs by Aphex Twin - 4.0 (Flawless)
2. Disintegration Loops by William Basinski - 3.5 (Great)
3. Madvillainy by Madvillain - 3.5 (Great)
4. Kid A by Radiohead - 3.5 (Great)
5. Geogaddi by Boards of Canada - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. In Rainbows by Radiohead - 3.0 (Very Good)
7. Syro by Aphex Twin - 3.0 (Very Good)
8. Third Ear Band by Third Ear Band - 2.5 (Good)
---
9. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
10. Amnesiac by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
11. Disintegration Loops II-IV by William Basinski - 2.0 (Positive)
12. Untrue by Burial - 2.0 (Positive)
13. Vespertine by Bjork - 2.0 (Positive)
14. Haunt Me Haunt Me Do It Again by Tim Hecker - 2.0 (Positive)
15. Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus - 2.0 (Positive)
16. Hail to the Thief by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
17. Smile by Brian Wilson - 2.0 (Positive)

1.5 (Neutral)
Go Plastic by Squarepusher
Radio Amor by Tim Hecker
Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker
Is This It by The Strokes
Funeral by Arcade Fire
Since I Left You by The Avalanches
Silent Shout by The Knife
Twin Cinema by The New Pornographers
Out From Out Where by Amon Tobin

1.0 (Negative)
Ys by Joanna Newsom
Stories From the City Stories From the Sea by PJ Harvey
Sea Change by Beck
The Alligator by The National

Internal Wrangler by Clinic
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by Flaming Lips
Songs For the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age
Laterlus by Tool
Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol
Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective
Lift Your Skinny Fingers Like Antennaes to Heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor
Donuts by J Dilla
Lonerism by Tame Impala
The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
Discover by Daft Punk
The College Dropout by Kanye West
Late Registration by Kanye West
Boxer by The National
The Moon & Antarctica by Modest Mouse
() by Sigur Ros
Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem
To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
Good Kid MAAD City by Kendrick Lamar
Absolution by Muse
Alvvays by Alvvays

0.5 (Bad)

The Money Store by Death Grips
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West
Illinois by Sufjan Stevens
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by Outkast
Elephant by The White Stripes
Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys

0.0 (Terrible)
Hot Fuss by The Killers
Demon Days by Gorillaz
American Idiot by Green Day
Viva La Vida by Coldplay
Give Up by The Postal Service
The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem
The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me by Brand New

Blegh! Need to find better stuff from this era. Been kind of a wasteland for me.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Possible Musics Vol. 2: Dream Theory in Malaya by Jon Hassell - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
Starting to like this even more than Vol. 1: Possible Musics.
Oooh, Faust is absolutely incredible. I would have urgently recommended Krautrock (arguably my favorite track of all time) but I assumed you'd react to it like Hallogallo.

It's Faust IV, btw, not VI. The only thing that keeps it from being one of my favorite albums is that I'm not in love with the final track, "It's a bit of a Pain". It was all so perfect until it hit that point.

Yeah, Krautrock is fantastic and feels more submerging and spaceful than Hallogallo, which feels a lot more agressive and violent which would be fine if it was a 4 minute track but loses its appeal due to its length. I like the sound, just not its duration.

And I edited the album title. :p:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
For the life of me I can't get into modern music. Randomly deliberating the stuff I like most and how I feel about the more popular/notable stuff from 2000 until now.

The Ones that I Actually Like:
1. Drukqs by Aphex Twin - 4.0 (Flawless)
2. Disintegration Loops by William Basinski - 3.5 (Great)
3. Madvillainy by Madvillain - 3.5 (Great)
4. Kid A by Radiohead - 3.5 (Great)
5. Geogaddi by Boards of Canada - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. In Rainbows by Radiohead - 3.0 (Very Good)
7. Syro by Aphex Twin - 3.0 (Very Good)
8. Third Ear Band by Third Ear Band - 2.5 (Good)
---
9. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
10. Amnesiac by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
11. Disintegration Loops II-IV - 2.0 (Positive)
12. Untrue by Burial - 2.0 (Positive)
13. Vespertine by Bjork - 2.0 (Positive)
14. Haunt Me Haunt Me Do It Again by Tim Hecker - 2.0 (Positive)
15. Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus - 2.0 (Positive)
16. Hail to the Thief by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
17. Smile by Brian Wilson - 2.0 (Positive)

1.5 (Neutral)
Go Plastic by Squarepusher
Radio Amor by Tim Hecker
Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker
Is This It by The Strokes
Funeral by Arcade Fire
Since I Left You by The Avalanches
Silent Shout by The Knife
Twin Cinema by The New Pornographers
Out From Out Where by Amon Tobin

1.0 (Negative)
Ys by Joanna Newsom
Stories From the City Stories From the Sea by PJ Harvey
Sea Change by Beck
The Alligator by The National

Internal Wrangler by Clinic
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by Flaming Lips
Songs For the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age
Laterlus by Tool
Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol
Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective
Lift Your Skinny Fingers Like Antennaes to Heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor
Donuts by J Dilla
Lonerism by Tame Impala
The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
Discover by Daft Punk
The College Dropout by Kanye West
Late Registration by Kanye West
Boxer by The National
The Moon & Antarctica by Modest Mouse
() by Sigur Ros
Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem
To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
Good Kid MAAD City by Kendrick Lamar
Absolution by Muse
Alvvays by Alvvays

0.5 (Bad)

The Money Store by Death Grips
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West
Illinois by Sufjan Stevens
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by Outkast
Elephant by The White Stripes
Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys

0.0 (Terrible)
Hot Fuss by The Killers
Demon Days by Gorillaz
American Idiot by Green Day
Viva La Vida by Coldplay
Give Up by The Postal Service
The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem
The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me by Brand New

Blegh! Need to find better stuff from this era. Been kind of a wasteland for me.

Have you ever pondered a reason as to why that would be the case? I agree that the 60s-70s era was the better period, but is is pretty interesting how such a drastic drop seems to appear from 1990s and onwards with you.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
American Idiot is a masterpiece, thanks

Not meaning this as a backhanded compliment, but I've always seen you as someone with sensibilities far more mindful and interesting than something like American Idiot, which to me doesn't distance itself from any other formulaic bubblegum pop music.

Last edited:

Ceremony

Very Online Guy... perusing the forums
Jun 8, 2012
Not meaning this as a backhanded compliment, but I've always seen you as someone with sensibilities far more mindful and interesting than something like American Idiot, which to me doesn't distance itself from any other formulaic bubblegum pop music.
We're all fourteen once.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Off tangent, but the more I encounter assumptions of nostalgia and find myself having to maneuver around the possibility of it clouding my judgement, the more I think it's a dumb and overstated idea in general that should be resisted as much as possible (and if you're a critical person, it should be easy). The whole point of growing up is gaining more and more ability to grasp/appreciate nuances that can make this stuff more rewarding than my stupid eight year old self could ever fathom. I have too much respect for what I've come to appreciate now to allow the loud, meaningless, superficial sentimentality of feeling hyped about something as an immature kid to push the needle in any other direction.

Even when it comes to the stuff that I liked as a kid that I now feel still holds up, what I liked about it as a kid that I could potentially have some sentimental fondness for was almost always, without fail, for completely the wrong reasons that have nothing to do with what I like about them now. If anything, I react to that with embarrassment, not fondness.

So yeah... Nostalgia.... don't get it and don't care for it-- too often, sincere opinions are carelessly dismissed on those grounds. Recency bias.... now THAT's a real factor that (probably unavoidably) influences everyone.

I miss that controversial opinion thread. :laugh:
Yeah, Krautrock is fantastic and feels more submerging and spaceful than Hallogallo, which feels a lot more agressive and violent which would be fine if it was a 4 minute track but loses its appeal due to its length. I like the sound, just not its duration.

And I edited the album title. :p:
That's interesting. I didn't think that aggressiveness/violence was part of that equation for you.
Have you ever pondered a reason as to why that would be the case? I agree that the 60s-70s era was the better period, but is is pretty interesting how such a drastic drop seems to appear from 1990s and onwards with you.
It's not that drastic-- For me, there's been a pretty gradual descent every decade since the 70s, with the 2010s being the worst of it, having virtually nothing that really wins me over. I know it's not a nostalgia thing, either, because I only started getting into music when I was 18-20 in 2006-2008 (my entry point was the Pitchfork-y 2000s stuff) and it's not like I'm lacking in interest or anything. It COULD be a lack of exposure thing, but I'm getting pretty tired of looking for it and coming up empty.

Any reason I can come up with stumps me because I don't see why it wouldn't equally apply to other mediums that I don't feel followed the same trajectory. Movies today still seem really strong to me and have never really let up in quality, Television has a pretty long history, but I feel it was probably strongest in the early 2000s, and I loved the 90s for videogames, thought it turned into a wasteland for a while and it's now slowly making a comeback.

Maybe it has something to do with feeling that forced limitations are a catalyst and excessive technology/possibilities are a hindrance, maybe it has something to do with the market being too varied/saturated, leading artists to just be content to appeal to their niche audience rather than make a statement, maybe it has something to do with popular music becoming such a dull but proven science with a low bar of quality that the reaction to it has a lower standard too. Don't know.

It almost feels like there was a single spark that ignited in the late 50s/early 60s and every subsequent decade has just been riding that wave of influence/contention further and further down or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evil Speaker

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Been trying/re-trying some things from the greatest 70s albums thread that I'm either unfamiliar with, skeptical of (but not totally dismissive of), or forgot about.

Conquering Lion by Yabby You - 2.5 (Good)
Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck - 2.5 (Good)
Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome by Parliament - 2.0 (Positive)
Wired by Jeff Beck - 2.0 (Positive)
--
Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh by Magma - 1.5 (Neutral)
Stretchin Out by Bootsy's Rubber Band - 1.5 (Neutral)
Phases and Stages by Willie Nelson - 1.5 (Neutral)
--
Pieces of a Man by Gil Scott Heron - 1.0 (Negative)
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac - 1.0 (Negative)
Imagine by John Lennon - 1.0 (Negative)

Notes:
* King Tubby is awesome and Conquering Lion intrigues me a lot. Going to keep listening to that one and hopefully it rises.
* Jeff Beck is really talented and his albums are solid/impressive, not that the creativity involved blows my mind or anything.
* Funk is enjoyable and often impressive but tends to all blend together a bit for me.
* Fleetwood Mac (and that type of appeal in general) doesn't really do anything for me.
* The Revolution Will Not be Televised is such a cool thing, but I tend to immediately dislike anything R&B, so that was a bummer.
* I love John Lennon to death, but Imagine has always felt like a really overrated album to me. Only about half the tracks avoid feeling like throwaways, and even the memorable tracks sound pretty cheesy, obnoxious, and overbearing to me. I also despise Phil Spector's production in most of what he has direct influence on, and this is no exception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->