Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Good instincts-- I'm trying it now and I'm liking it more the more I listen, thanks.

I must have missed it because the one I tried after Rock Bottom was End of an Ear, which didn't leave much of an impression, and I just assumed the rest were weaker.

Want to give Ruth is Stranger than Richard a shot after this.

Good to hear. Let us know your feelings about it when you're through with it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Shleep by Robert Wyatt - 3.0 (Very Good)
Really solid cohesive album that seems to mostly revolve around the four or five tracks listed above. My favorites in particular after a first listen were probably A Sunday in Madrid and Blues in Bob Minor (cool spin on Bob Dylan). The tracks that didn't stand out aren't outright weak or anything, but they definitely feel supplementary and nothing I can imagine singling out (not that that's necessarily a terrible thing). As usual, there's this really great dorky sincerity to Robert Wyatt that seems completely unique to him alone among artists (and the oddity of that is simultaneously both the feature and the barrier of entry with him, I find). Seemed to have a tinge of a Brian Eno/John Cale influence that Rock Bottom didn't, which is probably what makes it more accessible. Could be a grower.

Ruth is Stranger than Richard - 1.5 (Neutral)
End of an Ear - 1.0 (Negative)

Yeah, trying these again didn't really get me anywhere.

Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt - 4.5 (Brilliant)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm not the biggest fan of Bob Dylan or that aware of all of his works, but I also thought Blues in Bob Minor was very Dylan-esque in a positive way.

Edit: Lol I just realized Bob Minor might be a reference to Bob Dylan...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not the biggest fan of Bob Dylan or that aware of all of his works, but I also thought Blues in Bob Minor was very Dylan-esque in a positive way.

Edit: Lol I just realized Bob Minor might be a reference to Bob Dylan...
I think it's actually intended to be a direct homage/parody of this song:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Heldmaschine: Propaganda

Title track follows:

Meh, okay I guess. Worth checking out if you're into Neue (though not so neue anymore...) Deutsche Harte. Very German. Very clipped and proper and all the phrasing comes out in chopped staccato bites. Has the same problem with a lot of German metal bands; they still want to ride on Rammstein's coattails a quarter century after Du Hast and Engel first dropped.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I just finished listening to Jeff Becks album Truth, the one with Rod Stewart on vocals from 1968, and that thing is rocking. One of the best rock albums ever . Jeff Beck could really kill it on the guitar, man.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I just finished listening to Jeff Becks album Truth, the one with Rod Stewart on vocals from 1968, and that thing is rocking. One of the best rock albums ever . Jeff Beck could really kill it on the guitar, man.

It's funny you post this today as I was watching Crossroads Guitar Festival(2013) last night thinking I need to add some Jeff Beck to my collection. Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Micky Waller with some help from Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Keith Moon! Don't know why I never picked this up before, I will remedy that in short order.

If you haven't already, check out Rod's early solo albums. Gasoline Alley, Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull Moment are fantastic.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
It's funny you post this today as I was watching Crossroads Guitar Festival(2013) last night thinking I need to add some Jeff Beck to my collection. Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Micky Waller with some help from Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Keith Moon! Don't know why I never picked this up before, I will remedy that in short order.

If you haven't already, check out Rod's early solo albums. Gasoline Alley, Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull Moment are fantastic.

Awesome man. Let me know what you think!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Avril Lavigne - Head above water.

If you're a fan, you'll love this. She has matured a lot and her song writing reflects this. It's a very good album. 7/10

avril_5.jpg

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Fishmans - 空中キャンプ (Kūchū Camp)

Over the last few months the Japanese dream pop band Fishmans have become one of my favourite artists. They are most known for their album Long Season, which is an enjoyable album, but I've found that I prefer this album and others by them over Long Season.

This is their most consistent release. There are no duds in the tracklist. Everything about this album is pretty much perfect imo. The melodies, the dreamy guitars, Shinji Sato's unique vocals, the awesome bass playing. The reggae/dub influence throughout is pretty cool too. This is an album I will be listening to for a long time.

Standout Tracks: Baby Blue, Track 5, Track 6, Track 8

10/10

Reactions: Amerika

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There (2014) - 6.5/10
Ladytron - Ladytron (2019) - 8/10
Blood Red Shoes - Get Tragic (2019) - 5/10
James - Pleased To Meet You (2001) - 7/10
White Lies - Five (2019) - 7.5/10
Lloyd Cole and The Commotions - Rattlesnakes (1984) - 7.5/10
The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time (2019) - 8/10
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (2002) - 7/10
Dodgy - Homegrown (1993) - 6/10
Bill Ryder-Jones - West Kirby County Primary (2015) - 7.5/10
Salad Boys - This Is Glue (2018) - 7/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Fishmans - 空中キャンプ (Kūchū Camp)

Over the last few months the Japanese dream pop band Fishmans have become one of my favourite artists. They are most known for their album Long Season, which is an enjoyable album, but I've found that I prefer this album and others by them over Long Season.

This is their most consistent release. There are no duds in the tracklist. Everything about this album is pretty much perfect imo. The melodies, the dreamy guitars, Shinji Sato's unique vocals, the awesome bass playing. The reggae/dub influence throughout is pretty cool too. This is an album I will be listening to for a long time.

Standout Tracks: Baby Blue, Track 5, Track 6, Track 8

10/10

Have you checked out Yura Yura Teikoku? I think you'd love em'

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fishmans is a pretty cool band. I do prefer Long Season over Kuuchu Camp by quite a bit, though. That thing just puts me in a trance. And Yura Yura Teikoku.... while I love the way that the soundtrack was used in those scenes in the movie (the three or four tracks on it anyways), listening to it in album form doesn't really do anything for me, personally. I'd rather just recommend the movie. It's incredible.

Trying to rectify my dislike of the 2010s... Syro and Ravedeath 1972 are the only ones I like enough to care and feel really strongly about at the moment.

Ravedeath 1972 by Tim Hecker - 4.0 (Flawless) (Grew on me alot-- this actually kind of hits me perfectly)
Syro by Aphex Twin - 3.5 (Great)
---
Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker - 2.5 (Good)
(these three aren't 2010s, but I listened to them as well)
Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do it Again by Tim Hecker - 2.0 (Positive)
Radio Amour by Tim Hecker - 2.0 (Positive)

A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead - 2.0 (Positive)
MBV by My Bloody Valentine - 2.0 (Positive)
(3-4 really great but not Loveless-level tracks, surrounded by other tracks that seem a lot less interesting/polished)
Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral/Positive)
Collapse by Aphex Twin - 1.5 (Neutral)
Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown - 1.0 (Negative)
(can't get past the vocal delivery style, which is a running theme with modern hip-hop for me)
Pom Pom by Ariel Pink - 1.0 (Negative) (same as above, the writing quality eludes me because I can't get past the sound, which I find kind of annoying)
Broadcast & the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age by Broadcast & the Focus Group - 1.0 (Negative)
Tomorrow's Harvest by Boards of Canada - 1.0 (Negative)
Virgins by Tim Hecker - 1.0 (Negative)

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lick My Decals Off, Baby by Captain Beefheart (1970) - Nowhere near my first listen but have been listening to it in full obsessively over the past few days, mostly in the shower. I think it may have just surpassed the VU and Nico as my all-time favorite record. Few records feel as imaginative and ballsy as this one. What to say but how can people not only have this within them, but the chops to actually put it to tape and execute it to perfection? As far as I know, nothing remotely similar came before this, nor after it. It's inimitable. A perfect storm of creativity, patience and craftmanship led by a delirious genius. Every track bangs against the other, and it is breathtaking to hear. A cacophonous record littered with brilliant melodies and with the instictive rhythm to pull it off. It's flawless. The howling, creepy and hilarious vocals (and lyrics) top it all off. There was no other way to perform and write this record. It had to be absurd. The album always leaves me burgeoning with courage and joy.

Favorite tracks:

- Peon (Greatest song of all-time, second greatest work of art of all-time, all artforms included. Only Kafka's The Metamorphosis hits me harder.)

- Japan in a Dishpan (Two contrasting songs playing on top of another. Should never work. Does so here with brilliance.)

- Woe-is-uh-Me-Bop

- One Red Rose That I Mean

- I Love You, You Big Dummy

- I Wanna Find a Woman That'll Hold My Big Toe Till I Have To Go

I think it may be time for me to have another serious go at Trout Mask Replica...I've had both my moments and my struggles with it. Moonlight on Vermont is one of my favorite Beefheart tracks.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lick My Decals Off, Baby by Captain Beefheart (1970) - Nowhere near my first listen but have been listening to it in full obsessively over the past few days, mostly in the shower. I think it may have just surpassed the VU and Nico as my all-time favorite record. Few records feel as imaginative and ballsy as this one. What to say but how can people not only have this within them, but the chops to actually put it to tape and execute it to perfection? As far as I know, nothing remotely similar came before this, nor after it. It's inimitable. A perfect storm of creativity, patience and craftmanship led by a delirious genius. Every track bangs against the other, and it is breathtaking to hear. A cacophonous record littered with brilliant melodies and with the instictive rhythm to pull it off. It's flawless. The howling, creepy and hilarious vocals (and lyrics) top it all off. There was no other way to perform and write this record. It had to be absurd. The album always leaves me burgeoning with courage and joy.

Favorite tracks:

- Peon (Greatest song of all-time, second greatest work of art of all-time, all artforms included. Only Kafka's The Metamorphosis hits me harder.)

- Japan in a Dishpan (Two contrasting songs playing on top of another. Should never work. Does so here with brilliance.)

- Woe-is-uh-Me-Bop

- One Red Rose That I Mean

- I Love You, You Big Dummy

- I Wanna Find a Woman That'll Hold My Big Toe Till I Have To Go

I think it may be time for me to have another serious go at Trout Mask Replica...I've had both my moments and my struggles with it. Moonlight on Vermont is one of my favorite Beefheart tracks.
:yo::yo:

That moment of total realization of how much of a masterpiece Lick My Decals Off Baby is after struggling with it for a long time is a beautiful thing. I think Trout Mask Replica is more creatively explosive/unhinged but also more imperfect/messy. Not quite as tight of an experience, but still a masterpiece in its own way, IMO.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
:yo::yo:

That moment of total realization of how much of a masterpiece Lick My Decals Off Baby is after struggling with it for a long time is a beautiful thing. I think Trout Mask Replica is more creatively explosive/unhinged but also more imperfect/messy. Not quite as tight of an experience, but still a masterpiece in its own way, IMO.

Oh, it's not so much that I struggled with it. I've always adored the album and thought it was a masterpiece. Peon has been my favorite song from the first day I heard it and the I'd always felt the instrumental tracks were colossal songs. But I think these past few days have just made the record distinguish itself from other favorites (although this might be recency bias, I could listen to Nico in full and change my mind again). Essentially, I felt Decals had the highest peaks of Beefheart's repertoire but perhaps lacked a little bit of consistency in a way that Shiny Beast and Safe as Milk don't.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, it's not so much that I struggled with it. I've always adored the album and thought it was a masterpiece. Peon has been my favorite song from the first day I heard it and the I'd always felt the instrumental tracks were colossal songs. But I think these past few days have just made the record distinguish itself from other favorites (although this might be recency bias, I could listen to Nico in full and change my mind again). Essentially, I felt Decals had the highest peaks of Beefheart's repertoire but perhaps lacked a little bit of consistency in a way that Shiny Beast and Safe as Milk don't.
Oh, I thought you said you struggled with the non-instrumental tracks/Vliet's voice before, though it was gradually improving.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tried some 2010s albums from Scaruffi's list. Not much luck.

Phonemenomicon by Impossible Nothing - 1.0 or 1.5 (Negative/Neutral)
Khun Narin's Electric Phin Band by Khun Narin - 1.0 (Negative)
Have One on Me by Joanna Newsom - 1.0 (Negative)
Shaking the Habitual by The Knife - 1.0 (Negative)
The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae - 0.5 (Bad)
The Monitor by Titus Andronicus - 0.5 (Bad)

Also tried listening to some OSTs of things I like, but honestly, I'm not really sure how much you're supposed to get out of them. I love them in the context of the thing that they're a part of, but I've never gotten anything comparable to an album experience from listening to a soundtrack from beginning to end. A lot of them rely on a few great tracks, sometimes not recorded in necessarily in ideal single-listen form, and usually not a cohesive experience. Many things that I feel have great music don't actually translate very well into OST form for me (like Blade Runner, Miyazaki movies, Cowboy Bebop, Final Fantasy, etc).

These were the ones that kind of did, at least to some degree:

Ping Pong: The Animation OST by Kensuke Ushio - 2.5 (Good)
Shadow of the Colossus OST by Kow Otani - 2.5 (Good)
Street Fighter II: The Definitive Soundtrack - 2.0 (Positive)
Celeste OST by Lena Raine - 2.0 (Positive)

These were the individual takeaways that held up strongest for me.

The Farthest Land by Kow Otani

Hero Theme by Kensuke Ushio

Ping Pong Phase 1 & 2 by Kensuke Ushio

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow (2019) - 6/10 (Seventeen is a really good song though)

The Divine Comedy - Promenade (1994) - 6.5/10

Sinking my teeth into the new Desperate Journalist album. It opens with a song that sounds shoegaze followed by one that's post-punk followed by one that's Britpop so seems promising.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Been really warming up to those two 2010s albums that clicked. Highlighted favorites that came after 2000.

5.0 (Masterpiece)
1. Tago Mago by Can
2. White Light White Heat (Mono) by The Velvet Underground
3. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
4. Lick My Decals Off Baby by Captain Beefheart
5. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
6. Velvet Underground & Nico (Mono) by The Velvet Underground
7. Closer by Joy Division
8. Bootleg 4 Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
9. Another Green World by Brian Eno
10. The Beatles (2018 Mix) by The Beatles
11. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo