Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Listened to that Cocteau Twins album. Loved parts of it but the but the middle tracks kind of converged into a whole that didn't grab me besides the odd moment. Sea, Swallow Me is absolutely brilliant. Although I still love Lorelei and Iceblink Luck more. Still, absolutely one of their best song. Elizabeth Fraser's rising, dramatic vocals are something else...greatest female vocalist of all-time, leaves everyone else in the dust. Grace Slick a distant second. Eyes are Mosaic and Bloody and Blunt were great too. Surprised Leave Me Alone ended up clicking with you. I didn't think that would happen.

Microcastle by Deerhunter (2008) - Nothing of interest save the track that made me try it out: Agoraphobia. Might try it again.
It's sort of evened out and dropped to a 4.0 for me after sitting with it some more. I really like the overall vibe of the Guthrie/Budd combo (disappointed that their collaborations don't have the same spark) and thought Fraser happened to play more of a supportive role on this album, but yeah, she's always great. Which middle parts didn't grab you?

I always loved the actual song structure itself for Leave Me Alone, I just couldn't get past Sumner's vocals, but yeah it grew on me a lot and it feels like less of an issue now, for that one song anyways. Hearing that cover version helped alot.

Take Me To Your Leader is starting to grow on me a lot, too. I think I might like it more than Madvillainy now. Probably the only hip-hop album I've ever heard where the tracks that were just samples and skits actually ended up being the highlight of the album, to me-- there's just something really effortlessly cool about those tracks and how they're produced.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I tried to do the same thing with Autechre, and for some reason, despite having a lot of respect for this artist, I seem to not feel too strongly about any of the albums besides Tri Repetae, which I love. Confield's striking but not particularly fun to listen to, Amber's fun to listen to but not particularly striking, Incunabula felt polished and but generic, and Chiastic Slide just felt like a whole lot of nothing to me.

Tri Repetae by Autechre - 3.5 (Great)
Confield by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
Amber by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
Incunabula by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
LP5 by Autechre - 1.0 (Negative)
Chiastic Slide by Autechre - 0.5 (Bad)

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Can't quote for some reason @Shareefruck. The lyricless tracks 5 and 6 on the Cocteau Twins album. It seemed like long stretches before a captivating sound. As for Doom, I think the collaboration with Madlib has higher peaks without ever lowering to a couple of less interesting tracks (although I still enjoy the more conventional tracks of the King Geedorah record) but I think I might hold Doom's non-Mm..Food records with more esteem than you do. I think they rub shoulders with it and he with the absolute best in art. Certainly just as distinct and inimitable.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can't quote for some reason @Shareefruck. The lyricless tracks 5 and 6 on the Cocteau Twins album. It seemed like long stretches before a captivating sound. As for Doom, I think the collaboration with Madlib has higher peaks without ever lowering to a couple of less interesting tracks (although I still enjoy the more conventional tracks of the King Geedorah record) but I think I might hold Doom's non-Mm..Food records with more esteem than you do. I think they rub shoulders with it and he with the absolute best in art. Certainly just as distinct and inimitable.
You mean 6 and 7? Track 5 is She Will Destroy You.

I find the production and complexity of Madvillainy more interesting and I agree that it doesn't have as many low points, so maybe objectively it's a more impressive and cohesive album, but I think I like the peaks and style of Take Me To Your Leader more at the moment.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You mean 6 and 7? Track 5 is She Will Destroy You.

I find the production and complexity of Madvillainy more interesting and I agree that it doesn't have as many low points, so maybe objectively it's a more impressive and cohesive album, but I think I like the peaks and style of Take Me To Your Leader more at the moment.

Perhaps. I thought it was more the middle of the album but I may have goofed. I haven't re-listened since yesterday. As for Doom, I do think Krazy World might be the best track from both albums. That electronic, sudden last gasp 'And I ne-' that pops up a few times in the background is a masterstroke and makes for a tremendous emotional impact. Also adore the chorus' double-entendre.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did a Stereolab binge this time. Also listened to Switched On Vol. 1-3. To be honest, I don't really get the argument that they're just as good as the studio albums-- sound like a bunch of mostly forgettable B-Sides with the occasional single to me.

Stereolab's a strange band to evaluate, for me-- I think they generally make all the right decisions, have a ton of talent and incredible consistency/accessibility/creativity, they were constantly evolving, each album has a unique sound, and they seem to be the result of the absolute coolest combination of influences imagineable, yet there always seems to be a limited ceiling to how good I think their music is regardless.

Albums
1. Dots and Loops - 2.5 (Good)
2. Cobra & Phases - 2.5 (Good)
3. Transient Random Noise Bursts - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Emperor Tomato Ketchup - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Mars Audiac Quintet - 1.5 (Neutral)
6. Peng! - 1.0 (Negative)
7. Margerine Eclipse - 1.0 (Negative)
---
Sound Dust - 0.5 (Bad)
Not Music - 0.5 (Bad)
Chemical Chords - 0.5 (Bad)

Favorite Tracks
1. Refractions in the Plastic Pulse
2. Fuses
3. Come and Play in the Milky Night
4. Contronatura
5. Tomorrow is Already Here
6. The Free Design
7. Brakhage
8. Op Hop Detonation
9. John Cage Bubblegum
10. Nihilist Assault Group

Last edited:

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
Vladislav Delay - Multilla

With the atmosphere of minimalist dance music and the gritty clicks and cuts of lofi mid-90's idm it takes me back to the sounds of Jan Jelinek's Loop Finding Jazz Records and Autechre's Tri Repetae in a swirl of intoxicating scrapes and scratches in the foreground with dark and esoteric pads floating around in the background. It's It's a 2.5 hour listen and it's worth it to go all the way thru without stopping.

It's Moritz Von Oswald meets Jan Jelinek meets Autechre. A surprisingly wonderful combination.

I give Multila a 9/10.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Crying by Ray Orbison (1962) Meh. Great two opening songs, then it's of little interest. I'm not even sure I finished the album...might try it again, as I love the album In Dreams.

Favorite tracks: Crying, The Great Pretender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad