Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I would imagine the opposite; St. Louis likely agreed to this situation (spreading their prospects across the AHL and relinquishing control of hockey operations and direct development of said prospects) if they got first pick of their future affiliate, whether by selecting an expansion city, or getting first dibs on an open market, should they let another team expand.

They might be without a chair, but I think they're the ones in control of the music.

Actually St. Louis controls NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are at the mercy of the AHL and its member clubs. They relinquished their AHL franchise a few years ago and emphatically stated they had NO DESIRE to own an AHL franchise and in fact only purchased it because it was part of the package deal to buy the Blues...So with that knowledge how quick do you think the AHL is going to be to allow them to buy the 31st franchise next year? That franchise is earmarked for Colorado who has expressed interest for about 3 years now. St. Louis will be exactly as the above said...looking for the open chair.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Blues had no say in operations even when we were affiliated, Wolves run their own show and have zero interest in developing players, they just want to win.

Couldnt agree with you more...The Wolves do run their own show and do want to win...but then so does everyone else.You Play To Win The Game...
And you're right they don't develop anyone..I'm mean that's true I can't think of one player who played for the Wolves that has made any contribution to the Blues. That Goalie Allen sucks...that Barbashev guy blows...that #55 sucks and so does Fabbio. i mean Fabbri...and dont get me started on how bad edmundson sucks...not to mention Jaskin and Paajarvi.

Hell with all that suckage coming out of Chicago it's a wonder you guys ever made the playoffs.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think the blues still have the option that the could "loan" players to other AHL teams. From what I have heard, once loaned that player remains with that team till seasons end.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Couldnt agree with you more...The Wolves do run their own show and do want to win...but then so does everyone else.You Play To Win The Game...
And you're right they don't develop anyone..I'm mean that's true I can't think of one player who played for the Wolves that has made any contribution to the Blues. That Goalie Allen sucks...that Barbashev guy blows...that #55 sucks and so does Fabbio. i mean Fabbri...and dont get me started on how bad edmundson sucks...not to mention Jaskin and Paajarvi.

Hell with all that suckage coming out of Chicago it's a wonder you guys ever made the playoffs.

Fabbri and Parayko each spent like 2 weeks at the end of the season there and yes Jaskin and Pajaarvi both suck

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
*Maybe* in 2018-2019, but it's not happening for 2017-2018. Like Axecrew said, the league might give preference to Colorado. STL shot themselves in the foot.

Even if the Avs get the expansion team, STL still gets an affiliate (San Antonio) in 2018.

By the way, I know that official co-op affiliations are banned in the ECHL, but maybe the AHL will allow one for next year if St. Louis can find a team willing to share an affiliate (unlikely, but if the Blues are willing to pay...).

EDIT: Missed the Blues/Wolves "co-op" news on the prior page.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Quad City makes perfect sense. Bob McNamara of the Mallards and Kerry Bubolz of the Golden Knights go way back to the years they worked together in the front office of the Cleveland Lumberjacks in the 90's.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
If I was a Blues fan I'd be furious with ownership for messing up development by selling their AHL team and now miss out on a team altogether.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If I was a Blues fan I'd be furious with ownership for messing up development by selling their AHL team and now miss out on a team altogether.

why? What difference would it have made and no, the Blues aren't missing out on a franchise, that was the deal because Esche wanted a franchise and that was likely the only opportunity Vancouver had to acquire a franchise and/or license, the Blues were in the same position as the Canucks were, when that swap creating the Comets and the Blues in Chicago, the Blues had little to no say in how the Wolves are operated much as they are now a temporary secondary affiliate to Vegas, and are now off the hook for the franchise fee, since Vegas now has the PDC....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
why? What difference would it have made and no, the Blues aren't missing out on a franchise, that was the deal because Esche wanted a franchise and that was likely the only opportunity Vancouver had to acquire a franchise and/or license, the Blues were in the same position as the Canucks were, when that swap creating the Comets and the Blues in Chicago, the Blues had little to no say in how the Wolves are operated much as they are now a temporary secondary affiliate to Vegas, and are now off the hook for the franchise fee, since Vegas now has the PDC....

HUH??? How is this possibly correct? How are the Blues NOT missing out on a franchise...IF they hadn't sold theirs, they would currently have a dedicated AHL team to send their prospects to and the Wolves/St. Louis marriage would've never happened. They wouldn't be jumping through hoops trying to figure out a way to salvage the mess they've made. That DEAL was made because they wanted to not own an AHL team..Robert Esche had absolutely nothing to do with them selling it...Yes he wanted to get a team in Utica...But if memeory serves me correctly...AND I KNOW IT DOES...The VANCOUVER CANUCKS are the owners of the AHL franchise located currently in Utica proper as you like to say. Not Robert Esche or anyone affiliated with him. NOWHERE in the Canucks organization does it list an employee by the name of Robert Esche!!

If and when the Canucks move THEIR franchise...Robert Esche is out of the AHL hockey business, unless some other team moves their team to Utica, nor will Robert Esche move to the Canucks new location with their farm team.

The Blues were NEVER in the same position as the Canucks. The Canucks had a team to partner with in Chicago, then bought their own team...St. Louis sold their team and now has no team to call their own nor do they have a place to put all of their players right now...How is that anything close to being the same as Vancouver?

Face it...you are wrong...St. Louis screwed up and are now paying the price...and it's not a forgone conclusion that they are getting that 31st team next year after having strong armed the AHL board to approve their sale because they DIDN'T want the team anymore...Now just 3 or 4 years later you change your mind and everyone is supposed to just forget the comments etc...I doubt that's going to happen and I doubt the board is going to look the other way. I fully expect the 31st franchise to be sold to Colorado sometime next season and St. Louis to "take what's left".

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
HUH??? How is this possibly correct? How are the Blues NOT missing out on a franchise...IF they hadn't sold theirs, they would currently have a dedicated AHL team to send their prospects to and the Wolves/St. Louis marriage would've never happened. They wouldn't be jumping through hoops trying to figure out a way to salvage the mess they've made. That DEAL was made because they wanted to not own an AHL team..Robert Esche had absolutely nothing to do with them selling it...Yes he wanted to get a team in Utica...But if memeory serves me correctly...AND I KNOW IT DOES...The VANCOUVER CANUCKS are the owners of the AHL franchise located currently in Utica proper as you like to say. Not Robert Esche or anyone affiliated with him. NOWHERE in the Canucks organization does it list an employee by the name of Robert Esche!!

If and when the Canucks move THEIR franchise...Robert Esche is out of the AHL hockey business, unless some other team moves their team to Utica, nor will Robert Esche move to the Canucks new location with their farm team.

The Blues were NEVER in the same position as the Canucks. The Canucks had a team to partner with in Chicago, then bought their own team...St. Louis sold their team and now has no team to call their own nor do they have a place to put all of their players right now...How is that anything close to being the same as Vancouver?

Face it...you are wrong...St. Louis screwed up and are now paying the price...and it's not a forgone conclusion that they are getting that 31st team next year after having strong armed the AHL board to approve their sale because they DIDN'T want the team anymore...Now just 3 or 4 years later you change your mind and everyone is supposed to just forget the comments etc...I doubt that's going to happen and I doubt the board is going to look the other way. I fully expect the 31st franchise to be sold to Colorado sometime next season and St. Louis to "take what's left".

I believe you are 100% correct in that Vancouver completely owns the AHL franchise and Esche only runs the business side of the AHL team in Utica. But this appeared on Twitter a couple weeks ago that confused the hell out of me.

C_G2iY9XsAIU_HA.jpg:large

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Esche had nothing to do with the Canucks buying an AHL team. In fact the Canucks pursued Peoria, Abbotsford, and Vancouver to put their AHL team before settling in Utica in the end.....

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I believe you are 100% correct in that Vancouver completely owns the AHL franchise and Esche only runs the business side of the AHL team in Utica. But this appeared on Twitter a couple weeks ago that confused the hell out of me.

C_G2iY9XsAIU_HA.jpg:large

If I had to guess i would say it is similar to the relationships the Flames had many times where they sold 50% of the franchise to the operating partner but still controlled/owned the franchise with a right to buy back the 50%.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
If I had to guess i would say it is similar to the relationships the Flames had many times where they sold 50% of the franchise to the operating partner but still controlled/owned the franchise with a right to buy back the 50%.
That's the way I have always understood it as well.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Esche had nothing to do with the Canucks buying an AHL team. In fact the Canucks pursued Peoria, Abbotsford, and Vancouver to put their AHL team before settling in Utica in the end.....

Yes I know this, that's why I said what I did in the post that you quoted.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Im pretty sure the Utica deal is the same as the Binghamton deal. NHL team owns 100% of the franchise and local group runs the business side. Local groups pay the NHL team rental fee.
I dont think Esche owns any of that franchise in Utica just as MItchell and group owns nothing of team in Binghamton.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Im pretty sure the Utica deal is the same as the Binghamton deal. NHL team owns 100% of the franchise and local group runs the business side. Local groups pay the NHL team rental fee.
I dont think Esche owns any of that franchise in Utica just as MItchell and group owns nothing of team in Binghamton.

I do not think that was true. I thought I read that Ottawa bought out the partner in the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->