Value of: Lars Eller (Two Lars Eller Trades re-visited) (Hybrid)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
June 17th, 2010

MTL shocked their fan base by trading Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Tim Schultz. It was a bold move at the time because Halak had a great playoff.

June 24th, 2016

MTL trades Lars Eller to WSH for two 2nd round picks (2017 and 2018). It's been well documented how well this trade worked out for WSH.

When you consider how good Eller is and how bad this turned out for MTL is Eller worth more than two 2nd round picks?

Ian Schultz, not Tim Schultz.

Two 2nd for a 3rd line centre is not a bad price.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
What junk.

Eller would be our number 1 center, that is how pathetic this team is.

There was zero need to trade him and downgrade with Danault, just more bad moves by Bergevin. The whole plan with Shaw coming in was Shawfull in it’s self.
Eller being better than danault ( don’t even think so) doesn’t make him a 1C or 2C, 2x 2nd was great value.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I remember at the time of the deal I wasn't overly thrilled with the assets the Caps gave up for him. He also was a big reason why the Caps won a cup so I'd re-do the trade over and over again at this point. Plus, the extension he signed was very reasonable after some of the deals that were dished out afterwards

Reactions: Peanut

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Eller’s problems in Montreal had nothing to do with him and everything to do with lousy coaching, playing players outside there roles. ie:...Eller in the top 6 with Desharnais over Galchenyuk for years.
Best thing to happen to him was getting traded out of Montreal.

Last edited:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It is actually possible for a trade to work out for both sides. There doesn't always have to be a clear winner. The second trade IMO was one of those deals. Eller has been great in his role in Washington. Montreal got valuable second rounders to aid their rebuild. I'd make this trade 10 times out of 10 and I'd guess Montreal fans would as well.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
No, it's Lars Eller for two (late and presumably late) 2nd-round picks. Time will tell how things work out for those prospects, but that's irrelevant to judging the trade, which was for draft picks.
It was for a 2017 2nd and a 2018 2nd. The 2018 2nd was traded to edmonton(I believe) for their 2018 71st and 132nd picks. The habs drafted those 3 players. With the picks the got from Washington. To measure how it pans out for the habs we have to see what becomes of those player mentioned in earlier post.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
habs suck at drafting and developing, so yes trading eller for two picks that won't pan out was a bad trade.
getting eller for halak however was a really good trade.
eller was like only amongst a few players on the team that brought it in the playoffs, while being a very good player in the reg season when he never really got the opportunity to shine.

The statement that Montreal is bad at drafting is not true at all, Montreal is 4th in the league im turning late round picks into NHL games played.

Montreal being horrible at developing players is more than fair.

Reactions: BatVader

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I remember at the time of the deal I wasn't overly thrilled with the assets the Caps gave up for him. He also was a big reason why the Caps won a cup so I'd re-do the trade over and over again at this point. Plus, the extension he signed was very reasonable after some of the deals that were dished out afterwards

thats kinda funny how when he was alot younger everyone on HFboards called him a cap dump at 3.9 for 3 years and now at 29 year old 3.5M everyone thinks it's a good contract, i'm not contradicting either thoughts, just think it's funny. then the trade happened everyone was shocked and now he's a good and valuable player outside Montreal, this is just another classic, Subban, Eller, incoming Galchenyuk!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Great value? And what did those 2 x 2nd picks get us?
i mean you can't see it like that... it's still 3 unknown prospect right now, they are all still very young. I still think Ikonen, 1 down year of ikonen doesn't make him bad, he might be adjusting and he has the skills to do so, Jordan harris is a Highschool guy that we have no footage at all on him... we'll see how he does in the NCAA, Samuel houde has poor numbers but his being praised for his workethic, so who knows, hard work some times beats talent on a bottom 9. we had great value for eller, but what we did with that value is a different story.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
i mean you can't see it like that... it's still 3 unknown prospect right now, they are all still very young. I still think Ikonen, 1 down year of ikonen doesn't make him bad, he might be adjusting and he has the skills to do so, Jordan harris is a Highschool guy that we have no footage at all on him... we'll see how he does in the NCAA, Samuel houde has poor numbers but his being praised for his workethic, so who knows, hard work some times beats talent on a bottom 9. we had great value for eller, but what we did with that value is a different story.
So we traded a big strong fast 2 way center playoff beast for absolute garbage. And isn’t it a great strategy to trade away centers when you have none? Good thing he brought Shaw in though right? What would we do without Shaw. Great value for Eller... we didn’t draft well... blah blah blah... absolutely moronic trade any way you look at it. The ONLY reason being that Bergevin didn’t like him because he was Subban’s friend.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
OP is assuming Eller wasn't good in MTL. This is some done in bad faith ****.
The OP seems to have a habit of doing things in bad faith and this certainly fits the bill.

The Caps got a good player, exceptional at his position in the fabric of the team he’s currently on, the Canadiens got good value for a player not in their long term plans, why should we make anything more out of this than what’s already there and obvious to everyone.

Also, any particular reason this needed to be in the Trade and Free Agent thread? It doesn’t involve a proposed trade and has nothing to do with a Free Agent signing. In fact, I’m not really sure the OP intended anything more than negative commentary on a past trade which seems like something that could probably be locked.

Reactions: CapSpace

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
The OP seems to have a habit of doing things in bad faith and this certainly fits the bill.

The Caps got a good player, exceptional at his position in the fabric of the team he’s currently on, the Canadiens got good value for a player not in their long term plans, why should we make anything more out of this than what’s already there and obvious to everyone.

Also, any particular reason this needed to be in the Trade and Free Agent thread?
You mean bad value for a player that was an important piece of our core? That’s much more accurate. Thanks Bergevin for being a half-witt, arrogant, French biased, idiot, we hate you.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You mean bad value for a player that was an important piece of our core? That’s much more accurate. Thanks Bergevin for being a half-witt, arrogant, French biased, idiot, we hate you.
If you think the Canadiens bargaining position on Eller demanded more than two seconds I’d be sorry to be Bergevin when YOU find out the return on an eventual Pacioretty trade. Bergevin is a buffoon but you might want to tone down your expectations, just sayin.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
If you think the Canadiens bargaining position on Eller demanded more than two seconds I’d be sorry to be Bergevin when YOU find out the return on an eventual Pacioretty trade. Bergevin is a buffoon but you might want to tone down your expectations, just sayin.
You are missing my point. Why would you trade away a big fast 2 way playoff beast center who is part of your core and on a great contract? You don’t, especially when you have no centers to begin with, it’s called being a dummy, something Bergevin excels at.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I didn't like the price that the Capitals had to pay for Eller around the time of the thread but it wasn't a bad overpayment by any means, and didn't really care about that since it was obvious that Eller was a much better long-term fit on a team with better centers ahead of him.

I think value wise Habs did pretty well in that trade. Whether they should have traded him at all is an entirely different question.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It is actually possible for a trade to work out for both sides. There doesn't always have to be a clear winner. The second trade IMO was one of those deals. Eller has been great in his role in Washington. Montreal got valuable second rounders to aid their rebuild. I'd make this trade 10 times out of 10 and I'd guess Montreal fans would as well.
0 times out of 10 for most Habs fans, your 2 x 2nd picks turned out to be nothing for us and you won a cup because of Eller, saved your butts from elimination against Columbus in double overtime and then goes to score the cup winner. No f...ing sh.t you would make that trade 10 out of 10 times, only a stupid biased piece of sh.t like Bergevin would trade a core player away for no good reason except that he was good friends with Subban.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So we traded a big strong fast 2 way center playoff beast for absolute garbage. And isn’t it a great strategy to trade away centers when you have none? Good thing he brought Shaw in though right? What would we do without Shaw. Great value for Eller... we didn’t draft well... blah blah blah... absolutely moronic trade any way you look at it. The ONLY reason being that Bergevin didn’t like him because he was Subban’s friend.

We traded away a 25pt 3C. Calm down a little, jesus christ.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You are being quite unfair to the player and being a giant homer by trying to put him down. He would be our best center right now. He was a fantastic 2nd line center in the playoffs when it mattered, he could be a great 2nd line center on many teams.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
You are being quite unfair to the player and being a giant homer by trying to put him down. He would be our best center right now. He was a fantastic 2nd line center in the playoffs when it mattered, he could be a great 2nd line center on many teams.
No.

I love Larry and I'm thrilled he contributed so much to a Cup win, but he's ideally a 3C on a good team.

1C on Montreal, sure, but only by default .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad