Value of: Lars Eller (Two Lars Eller Trades re-visited) (Hybrid)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
June 17th, 2010

MTL shocked their fan base by trading Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and *Ian Schultz. It was a bold move at the time because Halak had a great playoff.

June 24th, 2016

MTL trades Lars Eller to WSH for two 2nd round picks (2017 and 2018). It's been well documented how well this trade worked out for WSH.

When you consider how good Eller is and how bad this turned out for MTL is Eller worth more than two 2nd round picks?

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I remember thinking that the Halak deal wasnt too bad at the time, since i had been dissapointed that Huet only got a 2nd rounder and Eller was projecting wlel at the time.

At the time that Eller got traded, I applauded MB because i thought WSH got fleeced. It's not that Eller is bad; he's got size and is good defensively. I think Eller wasnt happy with his role in montreal; he would see himself as #1 or #2 C, but end up being used more on D situations than getting quality minutes. In Washington, he seems to be in a much better chair at #3C and i think this is why it worked out for him. I still think 2 2nds is steep for him tho.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
June 17th, 2010

MTL shocked their fan base by trading Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Tim Schultz. It was a bold move at the time because Halak had a great playoff.

June 24th, 2016

MTL trades Lars Eller to WSH for two 2nd round picks (2017 and 2018). It's been well documented how well this trade worked out for WSH.

When you consider how good Eller is and how bad this turned out for MTL is Eller worth more than two 2nd round picks?

As we don't know what these players will be yet its still too early to make a call on this one. But giving up a decent 3C for two seconds does not sound like good asset management.

upload_2018-8-16_13-5-19.png

Reactions: QuietContrarian

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
OP is assuming Eller wasn't good in MTL. This is some done in bad faith ****.

No. I didn't say he was bad in MTL. The bad has to do with MTL's lack of center depth (today). Were the two 2nds worth it when you could really use him now to be more competitive?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I remember thinking that the Halak deal wasnt too bad at the time, since i had been dissapointed that Huet only got a 2nd rounder and Eller was projecting wlel at the time.

At the time that Eller got traded, I applauded MB because i thought WSH got fleeced. It's not that Eller is bad; he's got size and is good defensively. I think Eller wasnt happy with his role in montreal; he would see himself as #1 or #2 C, but end up being used more on D situations than getting quality minutes. In Washington, he seems to be in a much better chair at #3C and i think this is why it worked out for him. I still think 2 2nds is steep for him tho.

All depends on how you draft to determine if 2 2nds is a steep price. Montreal is known to draft terribly so I think trading one of the best 3Cs in the game was not that steep of a price from Washington's POV as they are known to draft very well.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The 1st trade was good, good prospect for goalie they had to move, had a great playoffs when the made the semis.
The 2nd trade isn't horribly unbalanced but looks worse since they immediately traded for Shaw with 2 2nds.

There's a school of thought that the Caps would have protected Eller over Burakovsky or Wilson had they protected Schmidt.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's the same player. It's just the Caps as a team figured it out - something the Habs weren't able to do.

DSP was another one we had.

One of the things regularly mentioned about Eller is that he was more at ease knowing that he was the 3C with Kuznetsov and Backstrom ahead of him.

Reactions: Drake1588

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
As we don't know what these players will be yet its still too early to make a call on this one. But giving up a decent 3C for two seconds does not sound like good asset management.

View attachment 134963
Montreal traded the 2018 62nd(from Wash.) pick for 2018 71st and the 2018 133rd.
So its Lars Eller for Joni Ikonen, Jordan Harris and Samual Houde. Still only time will tell.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Montreal traded the 2018 62nd(from Wash.) pick for 2018 71st and the 2018 133rd.
So its Lars Eller for Joni Ikonen, Jordan Harris and Samual Houde. Still only time will tell.

Time will tell for the Habs. From the CAPS perspective we're completely happy with the trade. His play directly helped win a cup and has solidified out center depth for the immediate future. One or all of those picks may turn out to be a better player but in the grand scheme the CAPS don't care.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
Time will tell for the Habs. From the CAPS perspective we're completely happy with the trade. His play directly helped win a cup and has solidified out center depth for the immediate future. One or all of those picks may turn out to be a better player but in the grand scheme the CAPS don't care.
I would agree with you 100%. The Caps have been so good for so long that all they required is a little fine tuning to put them over the top. Eller was definately part of that fine tuning and with the results you got two 2nds means nothing.
Obviously the situation is different in Montreal and to us the two second round picks may be worth it. Time will tell.
Really happy for him, Ovi, and in particular the fan base.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Both trades were good. The first was our second starter for a at the time big top 15 drafted centre prospect. The second was a third line c for 2 2nds. All good

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Lmao Toronto OP makes a biased post on a trade made 8 years ago and 2 years ago. Who cares about Eller? We got 2 2nd's which is good value, trading them for Shaw wasn't great tho. Moving Eller for 2 2nd's was more than fine, especially when we had a cheaper replacement in Danault.

Hey OP was trading Seguin and Hamilton (and these were no brainer picks @ their spot so it would be highly likely that the Leafs would have picked the same players) for Kessel a good trade? Or trading Steen for Stempniak? Or trading Rask for Raycroft?

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

View attachment 134963

we traded 62 for 71 and 133 and that Olivier rodrigue belongs to the oilers!

it would be

Joni Ikonen
Jordan Harris
Samuel houde

for

Lars Eller

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
habs suck at drafting and developing, so yes trading eller for two picks that won't pan out was a bad trade.
getting eller for halak however was a really good trade.
eller was like only amongst a few players on the team that brought it in the playoffs, while being a very good player in the reg season when he never really got the opportunity to shine.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
we traded 62 for 71 and 133 and that Olivier rodrigue belongs to the oilers!

it would be

Joni Ikonen
Jordan Harris
Samuel houde

for

Lars Eller
What junk.

Eller would be our number 1 center, that is how pathetic this team is.

There was zero need to trade him and downgrade with Danault, just more bad moves by Bergevin. The whole plan with Shaw coming in was Shawfull in it’s self.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
No, it's Lars Eller for two (late and presumably late) 2nd-round picks. Time will tell how things work out for those prospects, but that's irrelevant to judging the trade, which was for draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad