Value of: Lars Eller (Two Lars Eller Trades re-visited) (Hybrid)

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I really wanted to keep Eller in MTL. However, getting 2x 2nd was good. That's what happened to me :

1- Eller trade announced : I was sad he left but happy about the trade
2- Andrew Shaw trade : I was furious to spend 2 x 2nds on Andrew Shaw (It canceled out the Eller trade IMO)
3- MB post-trade interview : ''We're happy to get Shawzy''. I knew once he gave him the nickname, this was going to be ugly. Being too close to the players isn't the right thing as a GM
4- MB gives Shaw UFA type contract without any reasonable reason. To this day, I still don't understand the need to sign a middle 6 tweener to a 6 years contract AND good money. At least, be one or the other, not both.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
God, not this again. Yeah, Eller can be pretty good during one of his random hot streaks, but then again he can also go forty games without a goal. Even on the current centre-depleted Habs he couldn't hack it in an offensive role, and that's what we needed from him.

Reactions: Deam78

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Ah 2012

(He's still not better than Turris.)

Man Kostitsyn could be so dominant when he was on. Eller owe him. (It was an awesome night for that line and amazing fourth goal, no shot at Eller, Kost just set him up)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
You mean bad value for a player that was an important piece of our core? That’s much more accurate. Thanks Bergevin for being a half-witt, arrogant, French biased, idiot, we hate you.

How about you get a grip bud. You're talking about a guy who just got higher than 30 points for the first time in his career. So much rage lol.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Eller is what he is and that's a good third line center. He gets hot sometimes and goes on streaks when his linemates are offensively gifted and it makes him look great. The guy has great puck control, slick moves and is able to gain zone entry very well which is something super important for a 3rd line center on a line that is expected to cycle the puck. He's strong, determined and can fill in on the second PP unit when needed. Seems to be loved by his teammates (especially now! :D) so he's a positive for the lockeroom. When given the third line role vs. being moved all over the lineup(line he was elsewhere) he has flourished and will likely continue to do so. At the time of the trade I thought it was a fair price to pay for a underachieving third liner who had potential to be more. Now I say he was worth more than a couple 2nd easily and feel like we won the trade by far.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
How about you get a grip bud. You're talking about a guy who just got higher than 30 points for the first time in his career. So much rage lol.

I’m not concerned with how many points he gets playing on a 3rd line with no power play minutes. He could easily be a 2nd line Center with power play minutes and we would be talking 50+ points.

All that matters is this...

Career Playoffs:

74 games played, 13 goals, 28 assists, 41 points and +11

2018 Playoffs:

24 games played, 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points
and +6

-Double overtime goal scorer against Columbus to save the series.

-Stanley Cup winning goal.

Eller is a player that should have never been traded, he knows how to step it up and carry a team when it matters just like Subban, these two players are built for the playoffs, very good friends as well, all the pieces we lost add up, and now we are left with this mess..

Last edited:

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Both trades were good from habs pov, looked very good in Washignton as well. Now the Andrew Shaw trade sucks wasting two 2nd rounders for crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad