Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller to caps

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I'm good with Eller. Provided they get another winger now. What is the percentage of late 2nd that get more than a cup of coffee? Plus it would be 4-5 years down the line. We need to win now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Shaw is also primarily a winger, and a righty who relies heavily on powerplay production. His even strength scoring is actually pretty similar to Eller's (with less goals), and he'd have to compete with Oshie and Williams for PP time.

Apr 6, 2004
Think Vrana could pot 20 w the right linemates in the bottom 6?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They went 0-for-19 when Kuzy was filling in for Johansson in early February.

There are options. I'd say because it's the (Caps) Snowmageddon. Many things were broken around that time. Also, sample size.

Do you really think Kuzy can't get the zone on PP if placed instead of Mojo?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
yes but an average of 13 goals is secondary scoring. anything over 10 goals is great for those non top 6 players

3.5 for a guy who isn't a top 6 guy is nothing special and I'm not sure TWO second rd picks is worth it.

Anyone know what the Montreal board is saying about the deal? They thinking they robbed us or hate seeing Eller go? Mixed feelings?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Shaw is also primarily a winger, and a righty who relies heavily on powerplay production. His even strength scoring is actually pretty similar to Eller's (with less goals), and he'd have to compete with Oshie and Williams for PP time.
Right. Plus Eller also kill penalties while Shaw doesn't.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There are options. I'd say it because the (Caps) Snowmageddon. Many things were broken around that time. Also, sample size.

I think it's an area in which Johansson has an advantage over Kuznetsov. Which is nice because it also allowed Kuznetsov to QB PP2.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I can't help but feel we could have skipped the middle man and gotten Shaw for 2 2nds.

Big difference between the (presumably late) 2nds a year and two years from now and the 39th and 45th overall picks this year. Not to mention the extra million a year Shaw is asking for.

Anyway, I'm happy with this trade. Backstrom-Kuznetsov-Eller-Beagle is the best center depth we'll have ever entered a season with in the Ovechkin era, maybe ever.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also, Backes, Radulov on the market. And we will sign Mojo for about 4,5M?! I just don't like that as alternative, I like Mojo generally.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
There are options. I'd say because it's the (Caps) Snowmageddon. Many things were broken around that time. Also, sample size.

I would also of thought he could also out score him in the playoffs.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Also, as I've said tons of times I hate seeing caps making moves in June and July when preparing for the following April, May, and June. I wanted to see Caps save money and add difference makers near trade deadline. Two second rd picks could potentially land something way better than Eller if there is available players at the deadline.

Save the money for the deadline. Getting third line forwards isn't going to be a issue at the deadline. Especially when you consider teams have to figure out who to protect/not lose players for nothing with the expansion draft next year. Teams have proven to figure Caps out by end of season every year. I wish they'd make more difference making in season moves - but if they keep starting years off right up to the cap that puts them at a disadvantage.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think it's an area in which Johansson has an advantage over Kuznetsov. Which is nice because it also allowed Kuznetsov to QB PP2.

Well, it's a very specific task which probably doesn't make it Cup or die. If you can get 3LW who will be as good as Mojo 5vs5, not effective in his place on PP (resulting in Bura playing there, for example) and being cheaper for about 2M - can you imagine that? - I'd like Caps to have that player instead of Johansson.

Actually, I think Vrana can do just fine soon enough. 3+ M of space.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Big difference between the (presumably late) 2nds a year and two years from now and the 39th and 45th overall picks this year. Not to mention the extra million a year Shaw is asking for.

Anyway, I'm happy with this trade. Backstrom-Kuznetsov-Eller-Beagle is the best center depth we'll have ever entered a season with in the Ovechkin era, maybe ever.

Good points, makes more sense

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
For a guy with 2 years left and a cap hit of 3.5, great 3C pickup without touching a roster player. This guy could very well produce more in a different environment.

GMBM doesn't mess around....

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Also, Backes, Radulov on the market. And we will sign Mojo for about 4,5M?! I just don't like that as alternative, I like Mojo generally.

How much money might we have left. Because i don't know if i see either

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would also of thought he could also out score him in the playoffs.

The reality is that the team has its bet on Kuzy. We have to believe next time he will score some points in playoffs.

Mojo is totally another topic, especially now when we have designated 3C. Mojo is against Bura now I'd say.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't mind letting MOJO walk if it means we free up space to make a push for a guy like Nielsen but that's looking doubtful with the Eller acquisition. Please let this be the beginning of our off season moves, we need a D Man and a Top 6 addition.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I wouldn't mind letting MOJO walk if it means we free up space to make a push for a guy like Nielsen but that's looking doubtful with the Eller acquisition. Please let this be the beginning of our off season moves, we need a D Man and a Top 6 addition.

Meh... i doubt we do anything that big. Keep your expectations low guys.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Also, as I've said tons of times I hate seeing caps making moves in June and July when preparing for the following April, May, and June. I wanted to see Caps save money and add difference makers near trade deadline. Two second rd picks could potentially land something way better than Eller if there is available players at the deadline.

Save the money for the deadline. Getting third line forwards isn't going to be a issue at the deadline. Especially when you consider teams have to figure out who to protect/not lose players for nothing with the expansion draft next year. Teams have proven to figure Caps out by end of season every year. I wish they'd make more difference making in season moves - but if they keep starting years off right up to the cap that puts them at a disadvantage.

I don't see how they're mutually exclusive. You build what you think is a contending team in the offseason, watch them perform for 5 months and then make needed adjustments. Second round picks are gone, but other picks, cap space, prospects, and roster players will be moveable at the deadline.

I just hope GMBM is more aggressive with those adjustments come next spring.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Am I the only one that thinks Ellet for two second rd picks and a 3.5 yearly cap hit isn't that great of a deal?

Goal was to add scoring to the top 9. If they let a 40 point MoJo go while replacing him for a guy who has never hit over 30 points in his career that has a 3.5 cap hit, it's a whatever type of deal for me.
Those points require context. Over the past few years Eller played the toughest minutes on the team and regularly started in his own zone. And when he wasn't being used as a checker they had him out of position on the wing. Bottom line, he didn't get along with the coach and his coach never gave him any real opportunity.

He's not a first line center and never will be. But if he's given the opportunity I think he can certainly chip in more offense than he has in the past. He really, really needed to get away from Therrien. And worst case scenario is that he can play the defensive side of the game against tough competition very well.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

In recent years, two 2nds have returned guys like Roman Polak and Douglas Murray as 3rd pairing rentals, over the hill rental Eric Staal (and only because the Rangers were the only team bidding), and struggling prospect Brett Connolly. A 2nd and a 3rd got us Glencross. The deadline is a seller's market, and waiting that long to fill holes is enormously risky. The banked cap space is nice, but it's just not worth it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Those points require context. Over the past few years Eller played the toughest minutes on the team and regularly started in his own zone. And when he wasn't being used as a checker they had him out of position on the wing. Bottom line, he didn't get along with the coach and his coach never gave him any real opportunity.

He's not a first line center and never will be. But if he's given the opportunity I think he can certainly chip in more offense than he has in the past. He really, really needed to get away from Therrien. And worst case scenario is that he can play the defensive side of the game against tough competition very well.

This could have been the difference for us in the Pens series. Our top lines shut down Crosby and Malkin, but our third line was eaten alive by Bonino et al.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad