Nov 22, 2007
A few years old but what the hey...

another:

goes to the net and has a good wrister

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I like this trade. Everyone on main boards thinks we overpaid but realistically we're looking at both those picks being down the bottom of the round. Think that means Mojo is gone unless he goes to 3LW? Not so sure I like tying that much salary up in him though. He's a serviceable player just not really what we need at this point unless he's taking a huge paycut(which I doubt).

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
He's very good at gaining the zone with speed. We enter the zone through him on the PP. Only problem is, he'll do a drop pass to no one at ES, not knowing what to do with the puck.

I've seen Mojo do those before. Your starting to make me nervous.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think either Johansson or Burakovsky really fit well at 3LW unless there's a real mentality change in how aggressive they are. Ditto Wilson at 3RW so while they can bring everyone back and maybe add another $1.5M player the mix remains questionable.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
On what planet does Johansson excel at zone entries?
Earth.

ESGs are 28 vs 22 the past two seasons. Really not that far off. Especially if you look at linemates. And i dont give a crap about Johansson on the PP. He is not the driver there and we'll be 25% with or without him. I'm sure someone here can post ten thousand words on the PP to show otherwise though.
Goal scoring is hardly the only form of offense (and Johansson is better at it, anyway). Eller is not a playmaker at all. Johansson has better ESA and ESA1 in each of the past three years.

As for the powerplay, I guess you forgot about their 0-for-19 stretch in February while Johansson was hurt. His zone entries are crucial to the top powerplay unit, and the powerplay suffered without him. There's a reason why he's on PP1 and Kuznetsov isn't.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dig the trade adds speed. Don't mind the price most likely bottom third of the 2nd round. Definite shows aggressiveness for next season.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So I think I'm okay with Eller as a 3C as long as they also add a middle 6 winger as well.

I'm not worried about two (probably late) second rounders for a guy under a reasonable contract for two more seasons. Assuming all the RFAs are re-signed, the Caps now have about $2N in cap space. Dump Winnik and you can still get a decent middle 6 winger.

But my opinions are subject to change because I am quite drunk right now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think either Johansson or Burakovsky really fit well at 3LW unless there's a real mentality change in how aggressive they are. Ditto Wilson at 3RW so while they can bring everyone back and maybe add another $1.5M player the mix remains questionable.

If they want to go a more checking/match-up route with the 3rd line, they can have Burakovsky play 1RW or 2RW, and shift one of Oshie or Williams to 3RW.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You guys are going to like this guy. Good 2 way player.

Pros: Big, strong player who can drive possession and play a great checking game. Has some offensive upside.

Cons: Can hold onto the puck too long with nothing happening.

In my opinion he has 2nd line center talent. He showed it in 2013 before his coach put him into a little box where he got checking assignments. Even if he's only used as a 3rd though, he's a GREAT third line center.

One thing is indisputable, our coach did not have any faith in this guy and held him back. I personally think that he'll shine somewhere else. In my opinion you guys made a great trade.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You guys are going to like this guy. Good 2 way player.

Pros: Big, strong player who can drive possession and play a great checking game. Has some offensive upside.

Cons: Can hold onto the puck too long with nothing happening.

In my opinion he has 2nd line center talent. He showed it in 2013 before his coach put him into a little box where he got checking assignments. Even if he's only used as a 3rd though, he's a GREAT third line center.

One thing is indisputable, our coach did not have any faith in this guy and held him back. I personally think that he'll shine somewhere else. In my opinion you guys made a great trade.

Thanks LG! Feels like a good move. And some restocking of the pantry for the Habs. :handclap:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Goal scoring is hardly the only form of offense (and Johansson is better at it, anyway). Eller is not a playmaker at all. Johansson has better ESA and ESA1 in each of the past three years.

As for the powerplay, I guess you forgot about their 0-for-19 stretch in February while Johansson was hurt. His zone entries are crucial to the top powerplay unit, and the powerplay suffered without him. There's a reason why he's on PP1 and Kuznetsov isn't.

Yes Johansson is better than Eller offensively, you'll get no argument from me. But neither is great shakes at creating offense and Johansson will cost about a million more.

Forgive me for not worrying about an Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Oshie/Carlson PP. I neither worry nor care about the PP. It can be coached to adequacy in the regular season and it's not going to win games regardless in the tightly called postseason.

Johansson at $4.5 million is not good enough for the 2nd line and too expensive/a poor fit in the bottom six.

He should be the major piece we give up to build a better, more balanced forward group.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes Johansson is better than Eller offensively, you'll get no argument from me. But neither is great shakes at creating offense and Johansson will cost about a million more.

Forgive me for not worrying about an Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Oshie/Carlson PP. I neither worry nor care about the PP. It can be coached to adequacy in the regular season and it's not going to win games regardless in the tightly called postseason.

Johansson at $4.5 million is not good enough for the 2nd line and too expensive/a poor fit in the bottom six.

He should be the major piece we give up to build a better, more balanced forward group.

To me, that's the deciding factor on Mojo. At $3.5 he can be 3LW, but more than that and meh. Add him to a trade for a better all around winger who can replace the zone entries and bring more offense.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
To me, that's the deciding factor on Mojo. At $3.5 he can be 3LW, but more than that and meh. Add him to a trade for a better all around winger who can replace the zone entries and bring more offense.

Somehow I don't think teams are going to bite on accepting Johansson in exchange for a better version of Johansson. :laugh:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Am I the only one that thinks Ellet for two second rd picks and a 3.5 yearly cap hit isn't that great of a deal?

Goal was to add scoring to the top 9. If they let a 40 point MoJo go while replacing him for a guy who has never hit over 30 points in his career that has a 3.5 cap hit, it's a whatever type of deal for me.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks Ellet for two second rd picks and a 3.5 yearly cap hit isn't that great of a deal?

Goal was to add scoring to the top 9. If they let a 40 point MoJo go while replacing him for a guy who has never hit 30 points in his career that has a 3.5 cap hit, it's a whatever type of deal for me.

when was the goal to add scoring? the goal was to add to the top 9

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Capitals have plenty of room to re-sign all of their RFAs with Eller's cap hit. They may have trouble signing an impact UFA, but they could add some more cap space by trading Winnik and letting a cheaper option play 4LW.

Johansson-Eller-X isn't a bad start to a third line, but hopefully X isn't junk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad