Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller to caps

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just like WTK I am a lars Eller fan and I was very disappointed that he was needlessly traded and you guys will like this player very much, he never got PP time under our dictator coach and still managed to contribute with a revolving door of line mates and still managed to produce decent numbers, he can hold the puck in the offensive zone with the best of them and is excellent in the corners. It is good for him to get a defined role on a deep team, I will be watching Larry.:handclap:

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
HABS FANS: This is the Caps board and it is for Caps fans. Read our local rules. This is not the place for you to continue your debates about current and former Montreal players.

Habs Fan here.

Eller used to be one of my favorite prospects in 2010. I thought that he would replace Plekanec one day but he never stepped up enough to be consider a 1st/2nd center.

I saw that he had an amazing month of January and disappeared right after. I hope he'll bring that January energy during the playoff. (Also Gratz for being the 1st team to clinch a PO spot). He was good with us in 2014 when he helped waking up Rene Bourque from his sleep.

Mario Tremblay, from RDS said a couple of years ago that the fact that he was drafted 13th total (almost like Mario Tremblay himself (12th) in 1974) built somekind of speculative hype around him.

All in all, I hope that you're still satisfied with the trade. He's rarely injured, NHL speed, good NHL size and he uses it in the right situations. Could play on 2nd wave PP.

I just wanted to know if Eller fit your expectations you had at the beginning of the season?

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Habs Fan here.

Eller used to be one of my favorite prospects in 2010. I thought that he would replace Plekanec one day but he never stepped up enough to be consider a 1st/2nd center.

I saw that he had an amazing month of January and disappeared right after. I hope he'll bring that January energy during the playoff. (Also Gratz for being the 1st team to clinch a PO spot). He was good with us in 2014 when he helped waking up Rene Bourque from his sleep.

Mario Tremblay, from RDS said a couple of years ago that the fact that he was drafted 13th total (almost like Mario Tremblay himself (12th) in 1974) built somekind of speculative hype around him.

All in all, I hope that you're still satisfied with the trade. He's rarely injured, NHL speed, good NHL size and he uses it in the right situations. Could play on 2nd wave PP.

I just wanted to know if Eller fit your expectations you had at the beginning of the season?

No issue with Eller whatsoever. He fits like a glove, we're more than happy with him. His numbers went down because Burakovsky missed 15 games due to injury and the 3rd line changed quite a bit with the rookie Vrana filling in. Burakovsky is a very important player on that line, he's got the speed and the finish. Eller has been strong defensively since the beginning and Connolly is having the best season in his career mostly thanks to him.

Mario Tremblay is an idiot, that's nothing new. I can't listen to the clowns from RDS anymore. TVA Sports is hardly better.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Yes. Pretty much everyone on here loves Eller and what he brings to the team. Especially when he's with Burakovsky. (Which explains the "dry spell" in points after January)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Eller is still pretty hard to evaluate, IMO. He looks to have the tools, but may require a particular fit with linemates to perform to potential. Both him and Connolly have been meh without Bura, dynamite with him. Inconsistent ice-time from Trotz also makes it hard to gauge.
At the very least, he's a decent 3C. Looking forward to see him expand his role, hopefully.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I actually think Ellers has been a disappointment. With a 3.5 million cap hit, you'd expect him to be able to put up more then 25 points he'll end up with. His Cost per Point, which is probably a terrible measure, puts him in some pretty awful comparison territory. Beyond that, if you're banking on him being a lock down defender type, I'm not sure he's shown enough to warrant that either. I don't think he's bad defensively, but he's certainly not an elite guy warranting a high pay.

Maybe he takes a step but if we could move him and retain an Oshie or a Shattenkirk instead? I'd do it pretty quickly in my opinion.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I actually think Ellers has been a disappointment. With a 3.5 million cap hit, you'd expect him to be able to put up more then 25 points he'll end up with. His Cost per Point, which is probably a terrible measure, puts him in some pretty awful comparison territory. Beyond that, if you're banking on him being a lock down defender type, I'm not sure he's shown enough to warrant that either. I don't think he's bad defensively, but he's certainly not an elite guy warranting a high pay.

Maybe he takes a step but if we could move him and retain an Oshie or a Shattenkirk instead? I'd do it pretty quickly in my opinion.

It's the versatility you have to be careful about losing. I don't think anyone really expected Eller to set the world on fire offensively. The expectation was that he'd continue to be strong defensively and between the blue lines, help drive possession, stand out on the PK, and accentuate the talent of his wings.

Our failures last year were even strength play, possession, and countering speed, and only having 3 centers was at the heart of a lot of that. Eller is stalwart defensively and complements the offensive strengths of his wings. He's not an offensive dynamo in his own right, but has the IQ to identify and leverage the tendencies of the guys around him.

The difference is subtle and thankless possession play -- strength, vision, consistency -- that adds up mightily over the course of a season.

I had my doubts early on, too. It took him a while to acclimate. But he's proven to be worth it, in my opinion.

I think he's a keeper, and his gifts are low-key enough that we can likely extend him at his current hit or less. I don't think we have a C on the farm that replaces him any time soon, and I wouldn't mind 19-92-20-83 anchoring the middle of our offense for the next several years.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
You have to keep Lars. He's a perfect fit for this team.

For years GMGM didn't address the lack of center depth and GMBM has finally done that.

Backstrom/Kuz/Eller/Beagle is a dream come true compared to the bad old days.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You have to keep Lars. He's a perfect fit for this team.

For years GMGM didn't address the lack of center depth and GMBM has finally done that.

Backstrom/Kuz/Eller/Beagle is a dream come true compared to the bad old days.

This is the one weakness GMGM did address, just none of them stayed long term for various reasons. Arnott, Ribs, Grabovski.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
"Effective" -- get to the playoffs "effective" or get to the SCF "effective"?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Brendan Morrison...

I haven't been very impressed with Lars but grade heavy on loff performances.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
All these players were duds in the playoffs.

Eller, we'll see how he does in the playoffs. I remember him getting KOed one year with the Habs. :(

Arnott had 6 points in 9 playoff games (including feeding Semin a beautiful pass in OT to win a game).
Ribeiro wasn't a difference maker in the playoffs, you're right. He wasn't particularly poor, especially when compared to the rest of the team (only 12 goals in 7 games), and his lone goal was a OT game winner. But mostly a non-factor either way.
Grabo didn't play in the playoff (woo Oates!)

While Lars Eller is certainly a massive improvement in the center depth compared to last season, the big change in this team's center depth wasn't Eller. It was Kuznetsov. It's Kuzy's emergence as a 1/2C that's created long term stability at the center position, and slotted everyone else down. Kuzy wasn't a GMBM acquisition, so giving GMBM credit for fixing the center position is rather disingenuous. GMBM has certainly done a ton to fix the holes on this team, and done so in a more aggressive fashion than McPhee usually operated. But I don't view bringing in a 3C as a foundational change to how they treat the center position, especially considering GMBM's stopgap approach to the position over the past two years (Fehr, Burakovsky, Beagle, Richards).

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
It's not just "shoring up 3C" in a vacuum as far as giving credit for making an optimal roster, IMO.
GMBM has made improvements fairly actively ( i was going to say aggressively, but maybe that's going too far) where he sees they are needed so far. After the Pittsburgh series last year, it became important to make that 3rd line better and he addressed that over the summer. After having already hit the first priority - D, next year - top end wingers...

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
That was a dirty headshot by Gryba in 2014 against the Sens. Montreal-Ottawa was always a violent playoff matchup.

It was pretty dirty, yeah. :(

I checked and Eller has 18 points in 37 career playoff games. Eller hasn't been stellar but considering that he averages .35 ppg in the regular season, his .49 ppg in the playoffs doesn't look too bad.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It was pretty dirty, yeah. :(

I checked and Eller has 18 points in 37 career playoff games. Eller hasn't been stellar but considering that he averages .35 ppg in the regular season, his .49 ppg in the playoffs doesn't look too bad.

His game doesn't drop off at all in the playoffs. If anything, his main qualities as a player becomes more evident in the playoffs. He's good at keeping the puck on his stick and he's good at defending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad