Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller to caps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Two 2nd round picks. Does it mean we're done with Johansson?

Habs got Andrew Shaw for those two picks. He's nastier and better than Eller, but he's a winger.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Eller has shown that he could step his game up in the playoffs. He's a solid center, terrible when playing wing though. He was my favorite Hab, so I'm happy to see him join the Caps!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Rather do this then try and sign Nielsen for 6 mil. Yes love to have Nielsen but can improve depth with that extra 2.5 mil

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Add Eller to the protected list in the expansion draft. No chance we trade that much for a guy we let go after a season

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Can he score 5v5 and/or PK?

It's literally all he does, he doesn't get a lot of PP time with the Habs. Career high of 16 goals and 28 pts, looking forward to seeing him reach new heights here. He's an underwhelming player, he has the tools to be a 40 pt player while playing good defense but he doesn't for some reason.

I think it means Johansson will be traded though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's a fair enough move. A couple seconds is a bit steep given that he's reportedly been available for quite some time but it's fine. A fair cap hit for a two-wayish 3C...and he's just 27.

But he's going to need better, more well-rounded linemates to take that next step offensively on a third line that thrives. I think he has it in him but something like Johansson and Wilson is probably not close to consistent enough.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Two 2nd round picks. Does it mean we're done with Johansson?

I really don't see how this connects with Johansson much. Johansson has primarily played wing the past few seasons. Eller played some LW this year, but he seems a much better fit at center. Even more to the point, Eller isn't a powerplay fit while Johansson has a significant PP role.

Habs got Andrew Shaw for those two picks. He's nastier and better than Eller, but he's a winger.

The Habs used the #39 and #45 picks in this year's draft to land Shaw. Not the 2017/2018 picks we traded them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I really don't see how this connects with Johansson much. Johansson has primarily played wing the past few seasons. Eller played some LW this year, but he seems a much better fit at center. Even more to the point, Eller isn't a powerplay fit while Johansson has a significant PP role.

The Habs used the #39 and #45 picks in this year's draft to land Shaw. Not the 2017/2018 picks we traded them.

Good to know about the picks.
Regarding Johansson, I'm wondering if we can fit the two of them together on the team cap wise. They'd make a combined $8M, which is expensive for a 3rd line.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Good to know about the picks.
Regarding Johansson, I'm wondering if we can fit the two of them together on the team cap wise. They'd make a combined $8M, which is expensive for a 3rd line.

Capitals currently have $10M in cap space to sign Johansson, Orlov, Wilson, and a couple extra forwards. No real salary cap concerns as it is, and maaaaybe enough space to resign Chimera or a similar forward.

Cap hits really only become a concern if they aim to add a bigger name via free agency.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He can't score much at all.

I agree that this makes Johansson redundant. Eller is equally underwhelming offensively, does all the things Johansson does and carries what will be a much smaller cap hit. Flip 90 for a top six upgrade. Adding Eller alone is far from enough up front.

"Equally underwhelming offensively?" Johansson is a much better offensive player than Eller. It's not even close...

"Does all the things Johansson does?" Well, Eller doesn't play on the powerplay, so there's one thing he doesn't do that MoJo does. Nor does he excel at zone entries.

They aren't similar players.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
"Equally underwhelming offensively?" Johansson is a much better offensive player than Eller. It's not even close...

"Does all the things Johansson does?" Well, Eller doesn't play on the powerplay, so there's one thing he doesn't do that MoJo does. Nor does he excel at zone entries.

They aren't similar players.

ESGs are 28 vs 22 the past two seasons. Really not that far off. Especially if you look at linemates. And i dont give a crap about Johansson on the PP. He is not the driver there and we'll be 25% with or without him. I'm sure someone here can post ten thousand words on the PP to show otherwise though.

Have the Caps ever had a Dane before?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I like it. Moar free money to sign Backes, you know.

Competent guy which happen to be exactly 3C, not some converted winger.

I can even imagine Johansson-Eller-Wilson line, though I'd like to see something better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad