Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller to caps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eller will be just fine. Don't expect him to be Nicklas Backstrom 2.0 and you won't be disappointed. He's a #3C, keep that in mind. 20 goals is 2nd line production, 12-15 goals is a realistic objective.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So are you saying you don't think Holtby is Cup caliber? He gave up a goal to a good shooter in Game 6, it happens. Less often than against other goalies. He was lights out in Game 5, an elimination game. (And in your next paragraph you mention Holtby is elite, so now I'm confused).

Also I don't think the Penguins had any issue scoring on Lundqvist this postseason, neither did the Lightning last season. Lundqvist is good, but good teams can still score against him. The Capitals need more even strength scoring, and that comes from better forwards, better transition from defense to offense, and better tactics.

Holtby is a Cup caliber goalie, but He was outplayed....you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

How do you interpret that statement to mean that I think goaltending and defense aren't important? All I said was that good goaltending and defense don't make up for poor even strength scoring.

All I'm saying is you're wrong because they can if they're good enough.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Italy has low ES scoring abilities. Lets see if elite D plus good G can overcome that. I doubt it certainly. Scoring matters.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good trade. Those 2nd round picks are going to be late ones, and they get to keep their top picks. Losing late 2nd round picks year and two from now have essentially zero affect on the Caps next 5 years. Eller is a good choice as a 3C, and paid accordingly.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You know what I've had a change of heart. They should just leave the forwards alone because they score plenty in the playoffs. Two goals a game should be plenty. Also sign a few more defensive D. Maybe add a Rob Scuderi, he blocks a ton of shots and really knows how to ring it around the boards. Roman Polak might be available too. Should be able to afford him if we give up Orlov.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I have taken time to process the trade and I really love it. I wasn't big on Eller in Montreal but I never realized how bad he had it there the guy really needed a change of scenery. It will really help him to have a defined role on this team, as the 3C with some offensive upside, a large PK role, and to cycle the puck. As much as I want to add a player like Vanek to that 3rd line I really like having MOJO and Eller playing together. The key will be their right wing and I am unsure who that is. I like having Wilson there I think he can open up the ice a little bit and dominate down low plus maybe develop a net front presence this year. I also like having Williams on that line which would just dominate puck possession.

A Solid Top 9!!!

Ovi-Kuzy-Oshie
Burky-Backstrom-Wilson/Williams
MOJO-Eller-Wilson/Williams

I worry about the second line not having that bite but I also think that Burakovsky has the potential to put in 30 this year playing with Backstrom

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know what I've had a change of heart. They should just leave the forwards alone because they score plenty in the playoffs. Two goals a game should be plenty. Also sign a few more defensive D. Maybe add a Rob Scuderi, he blocks a ton of shots and really knows how to ring it around the boards. Roman Polak might be available too. Should be able to afford him if we give up Orlov.

:handclap:

Simply rename your user account 'Chip to Center FTW' to confirm.

A Random Look. They want to give Tom prime TOI, why waste time. He has had top line time before to those that scoff at the notion. I also scoff at those that attack a lineup suggestion. I want our lineup dynamic throughout the first half of the season, drilling down to set lines in 2017. Barry won't do it of course; he is going to set his projected playoff lineup for game 1, and try to retain it all year.

Ovi Kuz Wilson
MJ Back Williams
Bura Lars Oshie

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Can he score 5v5 and/or PK?

Probably already been said but don't have time to read the entire thread.

Eller was basically not having any PP time in Montréal. He is a 13-15 ES/PK goal scorer when played on a 3rd line.

He's okay defensively but not really the best around. He's a good pker though. He's average at real-time stats (hits, blocked shots, ...). He's a good forechecker.

His biggest problem is consistency. Some nights he looks like a legit 2nd line center. The other night he'll play like a guy who doesn't belong here. Overall he is a good 3rd line center who will score his ~15 goals while playing 13-14 minutes a game without PP time and with skill less wingers.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:handclap:

Simply rename your user account 'Chip to Center FTW' to confirm.

A Random Look. They want to give Tom prime TOI, why waste time. He has had top line time before to those that scoff at the notion. I also scoff at those that attack a lineup suggestion. I want our lineup dynamic throughout the first half of the season, drilling down to set lines in 2017. Barry won't do it of course; he is going to set his projected playoff lineup for game 1, and try to retain it all year.

Ovi Kuz Wilson
MJ Back Williams
Bura Lars Oshie

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

This IMO is Wilson's audition season to prove he's a part of the core. If he improves again, he's likely to be protected, if not, might be so long Mr Wilson.

I sure hope he's taking this offseason seriously.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
Can't wait to see him in action.

I'm hoping for a fresh start for him. He didn't look happy, and played without a whole lot of confidence towards the end in Montreal.

He should be a great fit. He should also add to his point total with better wingers, and an allround better team around him.

Those of you who doubt him, will be pleasently surprised come october.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He should be a great fit. He should also add to his point total with better wingers, and an allround better team around him.

Better wingers, eh?

Tom DeadWood Wilson and Marcus EmptyNetMiss Johansson?

Surely Eller will add to his point totals. Shorthanded with Oshie or Backstrom, maybe.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As a newly converted Caps fan (thanks Bergevin for giving me the push to get out of that mess)

You guys/we will love having him on the 3rd line. He's physically strong, enters the zone well, great puck handler, drives possession, makes some surprising moves and gets to the net.

Is Chimera coming back? Eller was at his best with a big fast skating body on his wing..

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
As a newly converted Caps fan (thanks Bergevin for giving me the push to get out of that mess)

You guys/we will love having him on the 3rd line. He's physically strong, enters the zone well, great puck handler, drives possession, makes some surprising moves and gets to the net.

Is Chimera coming back? Eller was at his best with a big fast skating body on his wing..

Welcome to the misery :laugh:

I think Chimmer got a QO so I assume he possibly will be back. Mojo is another faster player he could play with on the 3rd line.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I don't get it, seemed to me that the Capitals had enough players like Lars Eller, what they needed was more players like Evgeny Kuznetsov, TJ Oshie, & Andre Burakovski.

I think you guys have a good foundation, just need to add some speed to the back lines to take it to the next level.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't get it, seemed to me that the Capitals had enough players like Lars Eller, what they needed was more players like Evgeny Kuznetsov, TJ Oshie, & Andre Burakovski.
First of all, we need our own Evgeny Kuznetsov and Andre Burakovsky not to disappear in playoffs.
Second, our bottom 6 turned out to be pretty awful.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
First of all, we need our own Evgeny Kuznetsov and Andre Burakovsky not to disappear in playoffs.
Second, our bottom 6 turned out to be pretty awful.

I think the key to fixing that is to add speed, not someone like Lars Eller, but I'll admit that I've been proven wrong before.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the key to fixing that is to add speed, not someone like Lars Eller, but I'll admit that I've been proven wrong before.

you think that. the caps built a team to play heavy with enough speed. they want them to play faster, not skate faster. they are not going to change the basic structure and identity of their team right now. Eller fits their needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->