Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller to caps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They outscored the Capitals 13-10 at even strength. Also the Capitals scored 6 even strength goals in 6 games against the Flyers.

No matter how good your defense and goaltending is, that just isn't good enough to win a Cup. They need another upgrade in the top 9.

the penguins scored on the pp at a rate of 23.4%. They scored 18ppg's in their playoffs. those goals counted. i contend that the caps lost to the pens because they didnt score a game winning goal on the remaining pp time after their tie goal or on the full power play they had after that. g6 should never have gone to ot. but had they won they would not have gone much further with Alzner out of the lineup. which takes us back to Orpik

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Brad Boyes, P.A. Parenteau, and Kris Versteeg are all players that could fit if Winnik is traded and could provide valuable contributions on the third line. I'd give one of them a shot and see if he sticks. They all have a history of providing good scoring numbers for what would be a third liner and all should come relatively cheap. Give Wilson an extended shot there too to see if he develops offense.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They outscored the Capitals 13-10 at even strength. Also the Capitals scored 6 even strength goals in 6 games against the Flyers.

No matter how good your defense and goaltending is, that just isn't good enough to win a Cup. They need another upgrade in the top 9.

Come on...those two matter in a huge way. Very good D and goaltending are the staples of many teams who make long playoff runs.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
So it sounds like he's more of a shoot first type of player. Exactly what we need for the third line. I think he'll mesh well with Johansson, that is if we get him signed obviously.

Eller isn't so much a shoot first player, but has historically played with absolute awful goal scorers on his wing so he gets the bulk of his lines goals.

Eller isn't a standout shooter or passer (which gets him flack amoungst the dumber elements of Montreal's fanbase that think a forward only helps offensive in the offensive zone). His main attribute is that he's a top notch puck carrier and a pretty strong puck retriver. So he isn't as good at directly scoring as he is putting talent linemates in a position to score. Even as a winger last season (a position he's much less effective at than center) he did a lot to help Galchenyuk score, which showed up on their very high on-ice goal rates together, but didn't translate into Eller getting points himself.

Eller is very well suited to be the 3rd C in a three line offense system. Either he's picking up the tough defensive assignments to help the top two line score, or he can do a lot put offensively talented but flawed depth wingers in a position to provide secondary scoring.

The upshot is that he's very good at improving puck possession and tilting the ice in his team's favour, but relies on teammates to translate that into more goals scored.

Also a very strong pker, his power play skill at this point is unknown (coaching staff's deep attachment to Desharnais medicore skills with the man advantage permantly blocked Eller from getting any kind of a shot with the man advantage), his skill set suggests he might be very good at power play zone entries and can fill a role in front of the net, but he's never been given enough of a chance to know for sure.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Come on...those two matter in a huge way. Very good D and goaltending are the staples of many teams who make long playoff runs.

Braden Holtby has the best save percentage of any goalie in the playoffs since he's been in the league. The team has the 5th best GAA in the playoffs at even strength since he's been in the league.

Meanwhile, the Capitals are the 5th lowest scoring team in the playoffs at even strength since he's been in the league. (Pittsburgh, L.A., and Chicago are all in the top 7 in even strength goals per 60 in the playoffs over that same time)

Tell me again how even strength scoring isn't a problem for this team?

edit: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and San Jose were all top 4 teams this postseason in terms of ESG per 60. The Capitals were 13th out of 16 teams. This is why I am loathe to just gift Wilson 3rd line minutes when his career high is 7 goals when there are other options out there.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

thats right. the penguins won in part because they had a rookie goaltender that managed at bare minimum eliminate the Caps goaltending advantage having the Vezina Trophy goalie. Goaltending in that series was HUGE.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Braden Holtby has the best save percentage of any goalie in the playoffs since he's been in the league. The team has the 5th best GAA in the playoffs at even strength since he's been in the league.

twabby, you need to ease off the stats.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Meanwhile, the Capitals are the 5th lowest scoring team in the playoffs at even strength since he's been in the league. (Pittsburgh, L.A., and Chicago are all in the top 7 in even strength goals per 60 in the playoffs over that same time)

Tell me again how even strength scoring isn't a problem for this team?

edit: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and San Jose were all top 4 teams this postseason in terms of ESG per 60. The Capitals were 13th out of 16 teams. This is why I am loathe to just gift Wilson 3rd line minutes when his career high is 7 goals when there are other options out there.

I didn't say timely scoring wasn't an issue against the Pens, but you naively devalue good D and G.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah I'm good, I think it's pretty rad to use facts to back up my opinions.

I'm not devaluing it, I have no idea how you interpret that from my words.

What do you call this statement?!

"No matter how good your defense and goaltending is"......the truth is if the D and G are great, you can win Cups too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nah I'm good, I think it's pretty rad to use facts to back up my opinions..

yea, but also seem to be averse to the context. timely saves for instance. the penguins first goal in g6 was soft. cup winning goalies in elimination games dont give the opponent that kind of advantage. that context doesnt show in your stats.

meanwhile you also ignore the context of those playoffs. the caps played the defensively tight, defense first rangers with one of the top 2 or 3 goalies of his era, Lundqvist, in every one of those holtby playoff seasons. so while other teams were playing in offensive, high scoring series with above average defense and average goaltending, the Caps were in defensive series with elite goaltenders. it was going to be a low scoring series. so, you criticize the Caps offense for not lighting up Lundqvist like a Christmas tree? You know better than that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
yea, but also seem to be averse to the context. timely saves for instance. the penguins first goal in g6 was soft. cup winning goalies in elimination games dont give the opponent that kind of advantage. that context doesnt show in your stats.

meanwhile you also ignore the context of those playoffs. the caps played the defensively tight, defense first rangers with one of the top 2 or 3 goalies of his era, Lundqvist, in every one of those holtby playoff seasons. so while other teams were playing in offensive, high scoring series with above average defense and average goaltending, the Caps were in defensive series with elite goaltenders. it was going to be a low scoring series. so, you criticize the Caps offense for not lighting up Lundqvist like a Christmas tree? You know better than that.

So are you saying you don't think Holtby is Cup caliber? He gave up a goal to a good shooter in Game 6, it happens. Less often than against other goalies. He was lights out in Game 5, an elimination game. (And in your next paragraph you mention Holtby is elite, so now I'm confused).

Also I don't think the Penguins had any issue scoring on Lundqvist this postseason, neither did the Lightning last season. Lundqvist is good, but good teams can still score against him. The Capitals need more even strength scoring, and that comes from better forwards, better transition from defense to offense, and better tactics.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
First. If Eller is good puck retriever - maybe he can play with Ovi?

Second. 8,19,77,92,74,2,9 and 70 will play at World Cup. I think they will have a hard time this season having even more minutes than previous. They will try to get in shape very early. Who knows how the season will unfold for them after that. That's almost an unknown territory for most of them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What do you call this statement?!

"No matter how good your defense and goaltending is"......the truth is if the D and G are great, you can win Cups too.

How do you interpret that statement to mean that I think goaltending and defense aren't important? All I said was that good goaltending and defense don't make up for poor even strength scoring.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So are you saying you don't think Holtby is Cup caliber? He gave up a goal to a good shooter in Game 6, it happens. Less often than against other goalies. He was lights out in Game 5, an elimination game. (And in your next paragraph you mention Holtby is elite, so now I'm confused).

Also I don't think the Penguins had any issue scoring on Lundqvist this postseason, neither did the Lightning last season. Lundqvist is good, but good teams can still score against him. The Capitals need more even strength scoring, and that comes from better forwards, better transition from defense to offense, and better tactics.

I never said that Holtby is not cup caliber. What i said was that he could have been better and that Murray erased the Caps goalie advantage. Playoffs are one game at a time. Yea, Holtby was lights out in g5. He was not in g6. the Caps lost.

I am not even going to address comparing Lundqvist this season to his past seasons.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I never said that Holtby is not cup caliber. What i said was that he could have been better and that Murray erased the Caps goalie advantage. Playoffs are one game at a time. Yea, Holtby was lights out in g5. He was not in g6. the Caps lost.

I am not even going to address comparing Lundqvist this season to his past seasons.

Of course he could have been better. So could Murray. He let in a few softies too. The one constant with their playoff failures has been poor even strength scoring. How is this a controversial statement? Personally I wouldn't rely on Holtby posting a .950 in order to win a series. I'd try to score more goals.

edit: recall Holtby's game 7 gaffe against NYI last year. They won despite the error because the Capitals dominated that game at even strength. Halak was very good too.

And please compare Lundqvist's season to prior seasons, I'm very interested for this detailed analysis.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Second. 8,19,77,92,74,2,9 and 70 will play at World Cup. I think they will have a hard time this season having even more minutes than previous. They will try to get in shape very early. Who knows how the season will unfold for them after that. That's almost an unknown territory for most of them.

I'd be curious to see which teams will have the most players represented. The Caps must be up there. Probably not a good thing, from an NHL team perspective.

e; They've been paired down to 23, for some reason I thought they were still at 30. I'd imagine there still might be some injury related changes, though.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

I think we should try and play Bacstrom at 3C and put Ovie with Eller. I feel like Backstrom could help elevate lesser wingers, especially against lower competition, and Eller gaining the zone and fumbling the puck to Ovechkin could be money. The more time Ovie spends in the offensive zone at even strength, the better. Roll three scoring lines more or less evenly and keep the boys fresh...

In any case separating Ovie and Backstrom needs to be thoroughly vetted throughout the course of the year...

I think if we find the right mix it could stand to give us a boost where we are lacking, namely even strength possession and goal differential.

Am I talking crazy?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Am I talking crazy?
It's a bit of a copycat idea but more and more teams may go with it.

With reports of Nielsen's ($5.5M) and Helm's ($4M) ask, this trade makes tons of sense. The only viable UFA fit might have been Cullen and he's just a stopgap at best. While the price may have been a bit steep it was necessary. There's perhaps some reason to believe there's upside remaining with Eller at 27 if the fit lines up. With a bit of PP time and an overall more balanced top nine configuration Eller could maybe hit 40 points.

If they don't bring another veteran winger beyond depth competition something like Johansson/Vrana or Burakovsky/Williams would give him way better wingers than he's used to.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Eller is a match-up center. Let him take the difficult match-ups. Don't burden Backstrom with those match-ups. #Fixed

If anyone wonders why we cannot score at ES, perhaps it is because our best and top line center spends most of his ES shifts in our toughest defensive matchups. Ovi holds on for dear life. 2ES is proof of a problem; those 2 as used are not scoring at ES. 2ES despite Oshie, who seemed the best fit for those 2 in many years.

Barry loves to build his lines starting with static pairs on each. This must change for our team to evolve into a cup grade ES scoring team. I don't see Barry doing it, however. Ovi + Nick = permanent ES chemistry thing. Since he will not break those 2 up, he needs to use them differently, and simply move Nicks defensive duties to Eller. Dare I think Ovi stands to benefit as well.

Bruce now Barry wants power on power. Both struggle mightily in the playoffs, ignoring using a Boyd Gordon or a Lars Eller on S1d. I expect nothing to change. #OldDogs

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

If you look at past history the team that scores among the highest in the playoffs win Cups too.

Blackhawks, Kings, and Pens all scored at a pretty good amt. Caps have sucked at scoring goals in the playoffs like 4 times in a row now and it's all because of secondary scoring as Ovi has done his job. That is a major fail on the front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad