Lars Eller - The Adventure Continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Eller is just avg 3rd line center and nothing more. Although I also agree that he has the tools to jump to top six but with his attitude he will remain at 3rd line position as was expected to begin with. Nothing great but I guess Eller is better than nothing!

Lets put him on the block and see how many Western teams jump at the chance of getting him. He is a good player that has had a revolving door of line mates and roles on this team. He is not favored by his coach like some on the team but the funny thing is that when there are tough situations he is often the guy asked to jump over the boards. Own zone faceoffs and killing time on the clock are his specialty, we are better with my avatar but some of you just don't get hockey.:shakehead

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Lets put him on the block and see how many Western teams jump at the chance of getting him. He is a good player that has had a revolving door of line mates and roles on this team. He is not favored by his coach like some on the team but the funny thing is that when there are tough situations he is often the guy asked to jump over the boards. Own zone faceoffs and killing time on the clock are his specialty, we are better with my avatar but some of you just don't get hockey.:shakehead

aka the boxscore watcher - "Did my guy get a goal or assist? You guy was a minus tonight, Great!"

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Eller disappears for half the season. He has been provided with the opportunities to jump to 2nd line center and came out flat. So what else is there to blame it on?

This never happened. At any point. Ever.

Nynja*

This never happened. At any point. Ever.

Its happened in the hopes and dreams of Canadiens fans who sincerely want whats the best for the team and their best chance at #25.

Hopes and dreams.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yup, Montreal is probably the only team in the league where their 3rd line center is better than their 1st.

Eller is not better than Desharnais

People here are so blindly hating MT and DD that they THINK that montreal is the only team in the league where their 3rd line center is better than their 1st.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

People here are so blindly hating MT and DD that they THINK that montreal is the only team in the league where their 3rd line center is better than their 1st.

And why does that make it okay for us to be in that situation? We should follow the trend of mediocrity or something?
Even if Lars Eller is only slightly worse or slightly better than Desharnais, we need to have a clear cut #1 not some tweener.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Bruh, even EA Sports gave Eller a higher rating than Desharnais. It's pretty clear that he brings a lot more to the table than DD.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The guy brings it in the playoffs. Very good third liner, like top tier in the league.

He brought it IN ONE PLAYOFFS... 2014... thats it.

He really struggled in 2015.

Note...
Rookie in 2011, was okay, but not "bringing it"....
2012.. Habs miss playoffs
2013... plays 2 periods, is knocked out by Gryba.

I'm gonna say that 2011 and 2013 are neither good, nor bad playoffs given the circumstances. Can't expect too much from a rookie, so he gets a pass. Other year he was hurt... can't blame him for getting hurt on that hit.

So we have One year good, one year bad... it seems like a lot of his regular seasons over the last 5 years.. sometimes red hot, sometimes ice cold. I don't know that we have enough evidence to say he "brings it in the playoffs".

If you want to say that, we can also say that Rene Bourque brings it in the playoffs.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
And why does that make it okay for us to be in that situation? We should follow the trend of mediocrity or something?
Even if Lars Eller is only slightly worse or slightly better than Desharnais, we need to have a clear cut #1 not some tweener.

We need a clear cut number 1... yes.

However its not desharnais fault he's thrust into a role that management hasn't properly filled.

He's paid 3.5 million... which is not first line centre money... heck its not even second line centre money... and its even less than what Brandon Sutter is getting in Vancouver to be a third line centre and is a guy who has never scored 40 points in his career.

So tell me again, how is Desharnais preventing this team from fixing an obvious issue?

He isn't... and he's still a valuable point producer even if not on the first line... producing over 1.5 ESP/60 min in over 1500 minutes of even strength play without Max Pacioretty in his career.

This is a team that didn't score enough goals. So yes, ideally we have a better first line centre than Desharnais... but that doesn't mean throwing him out just cause. It means find a role for him (even if that means moving him to wing) cause he's shown the ability to be a playmaker and it doesn't solely come from playing with Max.

In fact, this may be crazy to some people who have made this an Eller vs Desharnais debate for three plus years. But I actually think that Eller's size and DD's playmaking ability would work well on a line together.... say a third line of

DD - Eller - Kassian

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

the only time our #1C was more productive than our #3C in the PO is when the latter got injured and out of the PO after a single game, and not even a full game...

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

However its not desharnais fault he's thrust into a role that management hasn't properly filled.

He's paid 3.5 million... which is not first line centre money... heck its not even second line centre money... and its even less than what Brandon Sutter is getting in Vancouver to be a third line centre and is a guy who has never scored 40 points in his career.

So tell me again, how is Desharnais preventing this team from fixing an obvious issue?

He isn't... and he's still a valuable point producer even if not on the first line... producing over 1.5 ESP/60 min in over 1500 minutes of even strength play without Max Pacioretty in his career.

This is a team that didn't score enough goals. So yes, ideally we have a better first line centre than Desharnais... but that doesn't mean throwing him out just cause. It means find a role for him (even if that means moving him to wing) cause he's shown the ability to be a playmaker and it doesn't solely come from playing with Max.

In fact, this may be crazy to some people who have made this an Eller vs Desharnais debate for three plus years. But I actually think that Eller's size and DD's playmaking ability would work well on a line together.... say a third line of

DD - Eller - Kassian

In 4 years, I haven't seen anything from Desharnais that makes him a better offensive player than Eller. Some people will say that DD has superior vision but I have my doubts. DD gets the benefits of playing with the team's top wingers. I don't blame Eller at all for wanting to keep the puck since he's been playing with grinders and 4th liners the majority of the time. That being said, neither are 1st line players and everybody knows that. It's just that with DD's production or lack thereof, it's time for a change and insert someone else into that role; whether Galchenyuk, Pleks or Eller.

Nynja*

If you want to say that, we can also say that Rene Bourque brings it in the playoffs.

3 points getting mostly garbage deployment and being tasked with going against the oppositions top players. The 3 points was low, sure, lets look at how the players tasked with scoring goals did:
Patch 7 pts
Gally 5 pts
Plek 4 pts
Chucky 4 pts
Davey 3 pts
Weise 3 pts

Other than Patch, they werent really much better than Eller all things considered.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
To be fare,

Plek was getting all the "quality minutes" with Patch et Gall

Patch wasn't a the to of is game. (Coming back from and being injured)

DD a lot less minutes and was playing with a more then struggling Galch.

Eller was playing great def, more minutes and could have been concidered 2nd center (against tampa, and after Patch and plek were put together.)

anyways, glass haft full haft empty, we were the better team against tampa 3-4 of the 6 games... we weren't missing of scoring chance, but of scoring... The corsi fan should be prouded... I still prefere the "win or loss" stats, not the advance stats.

So no Eller eas not at best mode and had more time on ice then DD. Platch and plekanec clearly under produce base on there usage, so has Eller and DD... Only the bottom players had a good round (weise, flynn, mitchell)... It's strange

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

DD - Eller - Kassian

Depends on deployment....If the idea is to keep Eller in a shutdown role, then Desharnais has no business being on that line...he's not our best options for that role.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Except for passing....can you tell us in what category Desharnais is better than Eller?
Shooting? Forecheck? Backcheck? Defensive? Speed? Puck possession? Puck protection? Faceoffs? Breakout? Physical play?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

DD - Eller - Kassian

DD is not a playmaker. If he is, then he's one of the worst in the NHL. The guy just passes the puck. Passer=/=Playmaker.

I agree though, he should be on the 3rd line wing, but not next to Eller, unless you have them in an exploitation role, which means Galy-Plek would be charged with more defensive tasks, it wouldn't work.

I would have Eller center a 2nd line with Gallagher, then have Galy between DD-Kassian.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Note...

I'm gonna say that 2011 and 2013 are neither good, nor bad playoffs given the circumstances. Can't expect too much from a rookie, so he gets a pass. Other year he was hurt... can't blame him for getting hurt on that hit.

So we have One year good, one year bad... it seems like a lot of his regular seasons over the last 5 years.. sometimes red hot, sometimes ice cold. I don't know that we have enough evidence to say he "brings it in the playoffs".

Eller did not have a bad PO in 2015. I don't understand how people insist to say Eller is a third liner and then use points as the measurement of his performance.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I for one Hab fan want Eller to remain a Hab for his career, he's representative of the hard working Hab players that win Championships, IMHO.:nod:

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Last playoffs, Eller routinely worked over the opposing D deep in their zone after getting the puck up ice. He made some great plays that weren't capitalized on by his linemates.

He had a great playoffs, just not a lot of points.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
If Therrien doesn't plan to use Galchenyuk at center this year I would like to see a full season of the EGG line and use DD on the 3rd line with Kassian and DSP.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Last playoffs, Eller routinely worked over the opposing D deep in their zone after getting the puck up ice. He made some great plays that weren't capitalized on by his linemates.

He had a great playoffs, just not a lot of points.

That this even has to be explained... :help:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Note...

What the ****? No he didn't. He was by far our best center again. People have short memory its ridiculous. Eller and Gallagher were our two best forwards, from start to finish. Go back in time and watch the games, Eller didn't struggle even if his production wasn't as good. He brought his game to another level, his ice-time kept going, almost tied with DD.

These are the mentions about Eller in the GDTs From game 6 to game 12. Notice the most important games, Eller always brings it. Really struggled my ass. So yes, Eller always brought it in the playoffs. He haven't had a bad playoffs so far.

Game 6 against the Sens.
-You other slackers on the Habs watch Eller, this is how it is done in the playoffs!
-Eller is a BEAST
-Eller should really be our 1C playoffs show it 2 years in a row now
-Eller showing MT why he should play much more.
-Eller came to play wow
-Lars Eller you ****ing tank.
-Eller essentially becomes a power forward in the playoffs.
-Eller beasting it. Get rid of DD right now.
-Eller in beast mode!

Game 1 against Bolts
-Eller is a horse
-Eller, Eller, Eller tank mode. Can't stop him.
-Eller is in the game. Next PP we get he should play 2nd unit, Despite Chuckies PM, still think he should get shifts with Eller .
-Eller keeps making great passes with nobody to finish.
-Eller is so good, I can't believe we don't use him on the top 6.
-Why is Eller so incredible come playoff time?
-He's been our best forward for a while now - with the exception of Max.

Game 2 he got injured so not much talk about him except the people who were very upset that Eller is hurt so it must means he does something right.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/se...7&pp=25&page=2

Game 3
-It's so sad watching Eller playing so well, but has to play with guys who struggle to score.
-Would like to see Eller line up with Patch and Gally.
-Eller is too good
-Considering he now has to carry he defense partner along with the offence and still make great defensive plays, I think he has been one of the best Habs
-They all ****ing suck except Eller and Petry
-Give eller some offensive wingers you muppet

Game 4
-Hot damn, Eller. What a beast play
-Eller is playing one heck of a game.
-really nice play by Eller's whole line on that...

Game 5
-Eller is a warrior
-Good net presence by Eller
-Maddening that eller gets no pp time
-Good shift by Eller there
-i wish eller had one of the kids as a winger instead of prust and you know who

Game 6
-Eller and Galllagher are really our only forwards that can do anything
-Gallagher and Eller the only forwards to show up..
-Put Eller on the first line please.
-What a play by Eller.
-What a ****ing play by Eller.
-Great play by Eller too bad Prust couldn't do anything with it.
-Eller did everything and puck goes straight to Prust
-Eller proving once again he's the only one who deserves offensive minutes in the playoffs.
-Eller's been arguably our best forward
-Honestly, Eller and Plekanec should shift roles right now. Relegate Plekanec to the checking line center role and give Eller an offensive chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad