Lars Eller on the shutting down the Leafs’ stars [Mod Warning Post #311]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I wonder what kind of response you'd have if the same question was asked of the caps a year ago.

Good lord, how short a memory do people caps fans have to forget that their team managed to be a joke despite having an all time great on their team?

I'm no Caps fan, but they actually won some playoff series. You know who else has won playoff series? Lars Eller. So yeah, I don't quite get where Kadri is coming from thinking his team has earned respect from guys who have actually won when it counts.

A lot of teams start out hot in the regular season and create hype that leads to nowhere in the playoffs. Look at the Columbus Blue Jackets like every other year. Eller's Habs did it a few years ago. It's not some crazy unique thing to ~burn down villages~ in the regular season and then do nothing where it counts. Until the Leafs prove they can win in April, I don't think players are really going to bow down before them in October. Sorry if that's insulting to some fans/players, but it's reality.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I wonder what kind of response you'd have if the same question was asked of the caps a year ago.

Good lord, how short a memory do people caps fans have to forget that their team managed to be a joke despite having an all time great on their team?
The Caps knew they were a joke around the league until this post season. No way they’d use that wording, they were very sensitive to their reputation, it’s why the pressure compounded for years.

The Leafs basically just recently added Tavares. The league isn’t even 10 games into the season and people are already acting as though the Leafs have steamrolled everyone and won the presidents trophy lol. They’re gonna be AT LEAST a damn good team, but still let’s wait and see.

The Pens won 3 Cups with Malkin and Crosby, and 2 with the current edition of their core. They dominated or were extremely good in the standings much of the last 10 years.

The Caps achieved less, but still they won a cup. And despite their playoff embarrassments before that, they had still also dominated the regular season for much of the last 10+ years as well. In their worst years (oh, the Dark Days of coach Dale Hunter) they still managed to knock out the sugnificantly better Bruins with a rookie Braden Holtby. Point being they’d had (and have) an established core already for years that had proven itself extremely talented and dangerous (at least most of the year)

The Leafs look dangerous, they’re looking like they’ll be one of those teams, but they’re not yet. What has this team accomplished for Kadri to say that? Do you earn respect on paper?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Eller has more points in the playoffs than all of Toronto's centres combined, he's also actually won some playoff series and has a cup.. he can chirp the Leafs all he wants.

And yet he and his team got stomped by the Leafs.

Enjoy the cup, but dont forget that season is over. Looking past talented teams will get you kicked to the curb.

Reactions: Dude Wheres Makar

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I’m trying to decide who’s comment was dumber......Eller or Kadri.
Definitely Eller. Eller said the Leafs had some bounces go their way and the Caps had the high danger chances, but you look at the goals and the stats and that's not true at all.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

The context of what he was saying was he was paying a compliment to Dion's professionalism, standing up for his teammates and helping him learn to calm the f*** down.

It wasn't at all meant as a "shot" at Toronto and he actually said Toronto is for real this time.

Anyways, I agree, having Phaneuf in place of Hainsey or Ozighanov/Marincin would be a MASSIVE upgrade. Nothing wrong with Dion as a player, just can't be the guy.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’m trying to decide who’s comment was dumber......Eller or Kadri.
Kadri’s. Talking as though winning record before even 10 games is played is an accomplishment.

Leafs fans getting really hurt over a harmless comment is pretty amusing lol. This group hasn’t won a Cup, a Presidents Trophy or even their division yet... what have the Leafs accomplished to demand respect in Kadri’s mind? They look amazing on paper, but other teams have looked great on paper, even started hot and accomplish nothing ultimately. Let’s wait and see.

I read Ellers comment simply as:
“(*assuming everyone already knows the leafs are good) We beat the Pens in the playoffs, who just won two cups and have two of the best world players in decades (and other great players and a great coach), and won the cup; if we can beat them, and everyone, we can beat anyone.”

He didn’t say the leafs aren’t great, or that they’re bad. He’s acknowledging the Caps are a great team and *don’t need to fear anyone*

Losing to the leafs, or any team, during a losing streak and or at the beginning of the season is meaningless. It doesn’t make his comments wrong. The leafs didn’t “prove him wrong” lol.

Edit: Not YET*. They can.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Anyone getting serious about this thread needs to re-evaluate some things. That statement is team affiliation neutral. It's a nothing quote. A guy answered a question, some people interpreted it the way they needed to in order to verify whether or not their panties were bunched and now Kadri is joining in the bunched panties party.

That aside, Kadri is correct, over the past two regular seasons, the start of this one not included, the Leafs have more than earned whatever respect they are given or due. They're not a good team suddenly because they added Tavares, they already were one.

Reactions: Chips

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The context of what he was saying was he was paying a compliment to Dion's professionalism, standing up for his teammates and helping him learn to calm the **** down.

It wasn't at all meant as a "shot" at Toronto and he actually said Toronto is for real this time.

Anyways, I agree, having Phaneuf in place of Hainsey or Ozighanov/Marincin would be a MASSIVE upgrade. Nothing wrong with Dion as a player, just can't be the guy.
Having Dion Phaneuf for his cap hit would definitely not help Toronto.

Seems like everyone had a hot take on us these days. Fun stuff!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Kadri’s. Talking as though winning record before even 10 games is played is an accomplishment.

Leafs fans getting really hurt over a harmless comment is pretty amusing lol. This group hasn’t won a Cup, a Presidents Trophy or even their division yet... what have the Leafs accomplished to demand respect in Kadri’s mind? They look amazing on paper, but other teams have looked great on paper, even started hot and accomplish nothing ultimately. Let’s wait and see.

I read Ellers comment simply as:
“(*assuming everyone already knows the leafs are good) We beat the Pens in the playoffs, who just won two cups and have two of the best world players in decades (and other great players and a great coach), and won the cup; if we can beat them, and everyone, we can beat anyone.”

He didn’t say the leafs aren’t great, or that they’re bad. He’s acknowledging the Caps are a great team and *don’t need to fear anyone*

Losing to the leafs, or any team, during a losing streak and or at the beginning of the season is meaningless. It doesn’t make his comments wrong. The leafs didn’t “prove him wrong” lol.

Edit: Not YET*. They can.

Which Leaf fans are getting really hurt? Lol I’ve barely seen anything on this beyond this forum and the odd one off comment on the radio. No Leaf fan I know gives a shit, I haven’t even seen it brought up on our home board where the saltiness can reach epic levels.

Thanks for letting us know how we feel tho i guess?

Reactions: bionic

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Love how Eller is talking trash lol. He's about as generic a hockey player can get, has one good year on a great team and thinks he's suddenly a judge of what is good and isn't good.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Love how Eller is talking trash lol. He's about as generic a hockey player can get, has one good year on a great team and thinks he's suddenly a judge of what is good and isn't good.

Yeah the guy who has played in the NHL for almost a decade and just won a cup and put up more playoff points than Matthews and Marner combined last spring and scored a cup winning goal isn't qualified to judge what's good, but Leafs fans who think Matthews and Tavares are greater than Crosby and Malkin and will bawl their eyes out until everyone else agrees with them are.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Chris J0hnst0n‏Verified account @rep0rterchris 1h1 hours ago

Nazem Kadri not holding back on Lars Eller quote #leafs. Adds: "Lars should worry about his own team who isn't in a playoff spot, the haters come out when they see us sitting first place in the whole league"

Hahaha oh my god this is a real quote. When's the "best pre October 15 stretch ever" banner going up? Before or after Matthews and Tavares get their numbers retired at today's home game? Ooh maybe they can borrow the Stanley Cup, Presidents Trophy, Hart, Richard, Art Ross and all the other awards from the HHOF and have Eller fly down to the ACC and apologetically hand them out to Leafs players while Drew Doughty claps and requests a trade to the Leafs at 50% cap hit. Leafs EARNED it bois

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad