Larry Brooks

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Anybody else here think that this guy is completely incompetent when it comes to writing articles on this team? The stuff he writes in his articles is so absurd I can't even make it through his articles any longer. Today talking about not bringing up Kravtsov and Barron until half the season because of cap hits. You poor, old, senile, buffoon. This is a rebuild. You don't screw kids over because of cap hits that you can easily manage. You can buy Smith out. You can deal Stome. You can deal Buchnevich which I still fully expect Gorton to do. As always, trades are harder to make than we as fans would like. However, I don't see any way the Rangers won't put a kid in the lineup like Barron because of the salary cap if he earns it.

Senile Brooks goes on about how Barron or Kravtsov would have to play significantly better than other players in camp to earn a spot. No clown, they wouldn't. Our bottom six has been a joke for years. They need a player like Barron in the worst way. This fan base is sick and tired of watching scrubs like Smith, McKegg and DiGicrappy going out there and do nothing.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anybody else here think that this guy is completely incompetent when it comes to writing articles on this team? The stuff he writes in his articles is so absurd I can't even make it through his articles any longer. Today talking about not bringing up Kravtsov and Barron until half the season because of cap hits. You poor, old, senile, buffoon. This is a rebuild. You don't screw kids over because of cap hits that you can easily manage. You can buy Smith out. You can deal Stome. You can deal Buchnevich which I still fully expect Gorton to do. As always, trades are harder to make than we as fans would like. However, I don't see any way the Rangers won't put a kid in the lineup like Barron because of the salary cap if he earns it.

Senile Brooks goes on about how Barron or Kravtsov would have to play significantly better than other players in camp to earn a spot. No clown, they wouldn't. Our bottom six has been a joke for years. They need a player like Barron in the worst way. This fan base is sick and tired of watching scrubs like Smith, McKegg and DiGicrappy going out there and do nothing.

With Kravtsov and Barron it's about more than what they can do on the ice. Since the Rangers are already over the 7.5% they can roll over the cap in performance bonuses, adding Kravtsov and Barron would mean they could towards the cap for their full AAV (including PB).

Kravtsov: $1,775,000
Barron: $1,775,000

That is $3,550,000 on the books for both of them. With our current cap situation, we may not even be able to afford Kravtsov and Barron on the team.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
No I do not agree with you, I enjoy reading Brooks, he's just another source of information and ideas.
You don't enjoy reading him, don't read him.

This idea, that he, and his thoughts which you disagree with, should be mocked and discredited, because you disagree, comes across as self-important

anyway, the Cap effect from ELC bonuses is real, NYR will need to wary.
And Krav and Barron having some months, competing outside NHL after season starts, does not strike me as having a severe downside.
The process cannot be sped up much, and look no further than Lias, Howden, Hajek to be reminded why

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

If the Rangers were going to buy out Smith they would have bought him out by now and at this point it would be almost too late for him to get a gig somewhere else.

On trading Strome--there are a bunch of problems with that that you seem to be overlooking. For instance nobody knows yet what Strome is going to be making as a arbitrated RFA but a good guess would be somewhere between $4.5 and $5.5 mil. So go to Cap Friendly and figure out how many teams have that kind of cap space because if they don't have it the only trade possible is with pretty much the same cap hit coming right back at you. Even teams with space will often have their own unsigned RFA's----and then if you find a team that could take him onw they might not have a need for him and lastly you have to ask how much Strome is worth as far as what you trade for him and then what you pay him-keeping also in mind that if Strome's arbitrated settlement is a 1 year deal he ends the year as a UFA. You need to keep in mind the flattened cap which is going to be there for at least 3 years and is going to make it harder for every team to take on salary.

Buchnevich is our most experienced and most productive top 6 right winger. That's just a fact. Kakko hopefully will displace him as our best right winger this year but that's not a given. Kravtsov had a shit season last year but was playing better this year but is now injured apparently. My best guess is he needs more KHL and/or AHL time. It almost seems like you're impatient to force him into our lineup. How did that work for Lias?

I suspect that if Barron doesn't make the Rangers out of camp---he will at least play some games for us this year.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Unfortunately for Ranger fans, the media doesn’t appear as interested in hockey as markets like Boston or Philly. Sports radio in those cities talk Bruins and Flyers often. Not a peep from NY sports radio ever so Brooks is one of the few we have.

Reactions: NCRanger

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY

The Rangers are in no position to buyout Smith. Barron and Kratsov are forwards so they don't replace Smith. Perhaps if some of the prospects can earn a spot he can be traded - would be far preferable to a buyout and it appears there might be a market for Smith which would result in less of a cap penalty. But they have no one LHD prospect that is even likely to supplant Smith in the upcoming season. Moreover, it is far from certain that Barron or Kratsov are ready. Kratsov should finish the KHL season and will be available to come over mid-season if his good play there continues.

Brooks is a good read. Highly opinionated so of course some of his writings will rub some the wrong way, like anyone with strong opinions. The guy is in the Hockey Hall of Fame as a journalist; quite an accomplishment. If you don't enjoy his work just don't read his stuff. But to trash him, especially with a line of reasoning that makes no sense itself is silly.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think he is the type that will be extremely missed when he hangs them up, but might not get much appreciation before then. He covers a lot of things no others come close to. Sure there are some things that I think is wrong on his texts, but rather that than the simplistic twitter reports.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

WeNeverGetAGoodArticle

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm actually shocked this thread has gone as well as it has, tho we haven't heard back from the OP if he even comes back which I have some serious doubts about. Thread could go sideways from there...lol

That said outside of Canada for us peeps here, Uncle Larry is pretty much the only print columnist that even discusses hockey. He knows his shit and I've been reading him for a little over 40 years.

Yeah he says some stupid stuff at times mostly to try and cause a little controversy for anyone who even cares about hockey but than again so do people here like the OP on threads like this despite us thinking we know more about hockey than JD, Gorton and even Larry Brooks....:nod:

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Brooks has clueless for years. He talks in most of his articles that the Rangers will not deviate from the rebuild. Then today he writes about how because of some minor cap space issues they won't play guys like Kravtsov and Barron unless they dominate in camp. Stupidity. His entire article basically is telling young players, don't bother showing up to camp unless you play like the first overall pick in the draft because you won't beat out scrubs like DiGiuseppe and Rooney. That's what losing organizations do. We saw this kind of crap last year. Playing Smith on the 4th line and on defense was incredibly dumb. Putting Fast on one of the top two lines. This is not what a winning organization does. It's not how you rebuild or how you treat prospects. What Brooks should have written about is the team getting rid of Smith who has no business on this team. He should have written about the team getting rid of Buchnevich who clearly has no spot on this team any longer. Instead he spends his time telling prospects like Kravtsov and Barron, don't come to camp because the team is going to play bums over you.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I don't usually read responses in a thread on this board because I already know what fans in this fan base do. They blame the players for everything and never the coach. They blame the defenseman for everything and never the forwards. They love small, puck moving defenseman who can't clear the crease instead of stay at home d men with lesser offensive skills. They love Russian prospects and not more physical Canadian prospects. They love Larry Brooks no matter what. They love other teams prospects on losing teams while nit picking our prospects to death. Same nonsense every year. Never changes here. If you were paying attention, Brooks started losing creditability with the Rangers players years ago. Nobody said anything but Boyle who ripped him in the locker room. Do some due diligence. It was an opinion shared by many players in the organization. Brooks is a very poor hockey writer at this point.

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't usually read responses in a thread on this board because I already know what fans in this fan base do. They blame the players for everything and never the coach. They blame the defenseman for everything and never the forwards. They love small, puck moving defenseman who can't clear the crease instead of stay at home d men with lesser offensive skills. They love Russian prospects and not more physical Canadian prospects. They love Larry Brooks no matter what. They love other teams prospects on losing teams while nit picking our prospects to death. Same nonsense every year. Never changes here. If you were paying attention, Brooks started losing creditability with the Rangers players years ago. Nobody said anything but Boyle who ripped him in the locker room. Do some due diligence. It was an opinion shared by many players in the organization. Brooks is a very poor hockey writer at this point.
Yes, Ranger fans love Brooks no matter what. He's our golden calf.

The relationship between a writer and players shouldn't be a comfortable one.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Listen, there was a time when Larry was a great hockey writer. One of the best. He sucks now. People don't want to move on. Lou was a great GM. He sucks now. It was an embarrassment he got GM of the year. A gift to a senile, old man. The Islanders were going to miss the playoffs if not for Covid. His Pageau trade was a disaster. His last 8 years in NJ his drafts were the worst in hockey and ran that team in the ground. He did nothing in Toronto but just sit there. He has left the Islanders in cap hell with his incompetence. People treat Lou like this is still the clutch and grab era. It's not and he clearly has no clue how to adjust. His drafts once again look to be terrible.

People live in the past. One thing this fan base does is quickly write off a young player who doesn't have instant success like Hajek and tends to not want to move on from guys milking a paycheck like Leetch and Graves did at the end of their time here because they were great Rangers at one time.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Listen, there was a time when Larry was a great hockey writer. One of the best. He sucks now. People don't want to move on. Lou was a great GM. He sucks now. It was an embarrassment he got GM of the year. A gift to a senile, old man. The Islanders were going to miss the playoffs if not for Covid. His Pageau trade was a disaster. His last 8 years in NJ his drafts were the worst in hockey and ran that team in the ground. He did nothing in Toronto but just sit there. He has left the Islanders in cap hell with his incompetence. People treat Lou like this is still the clutch and grab era. It's not and he clearly has no clue how to adjust. His drafts once again look to be terrible.

People live in the past. One thing this fan base does is quickly write off a young player who doesn't have instant success like Hajek and tends to not want to move on from guys milking a paycheck like Leetch and Graves did at the end of their time here because they were great Rangers at one time.
Who are you responding to?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't usually read responses in a thread on this board because I already know what fans in this fan base do. They blame the players for everything and never the coach. They blame the defenseman for everything and never the forwards. They love small, puck moving defenseman who can't clear the crease instead of stay at home d men with lesser offensive skills. They love Russian prospects and not more physical Canadian prospects. They love Larry Brooks no matter what.

You have to be schizophrenic ... or just incapable of understanding what you read. This board has done the opposite of what you are suggesting here.

They love other teams prospects on losing teams while nit picking our prospects to death.

This is probably the one true statement you made, since you decided to post your drivel on HFNYR.

Nobody said anything but Boyle who ripped him in the locker room.

Considering Boyle's ridiculously shitty stint here, he should have just kept his mouth shut. I ripped into Dan Boyle.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

I hate the Islanders as much as anyone and I'd love for you to be right about Lou but your wrong. He's still good at what he does. That Pageau deal got them one step away from the Cup finals where the Islanders likely would have beaten the Stars for the Cup. Pageau who played very well for them, was a big reason why the Islanders got that far.

Listen hoss, you don't make the hockey hall of fame if you suck. So apparently the hall of fame sucks too and doesn't know what the F they are doing for inducting Brooks according to your logic....hmmmm....:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad