Larry Brooks

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Just ask Torts what he thinks about Larry Brooks and that all you need to know.
Reading his stuff will only make you dumber.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I used to dislike Brooks’ articles because he liked to stir the pot too much, but I’ve grown to appreciate his work. Of course he’ll throw in his little zingers to keep the readers on their toes and sometimes he’ll take it a little too far but you get a pretty honest pulse of the team and he digs up more than anyone covering the team.

I also don’t think there’s another beat reporter who studies and understands the CBA and cap better than him. Granted he’s made a few mistakes here and there but that’s bound to happen, especially covering the Rangers who seemingly expose every possible condition of the CBA on a yearly basis. He certainly doesnt make any of that up and he is prophetic when it comes to the actions of the FO

If someone has issues with any beat writer, reporter or on air personality covering the team, just stop reading or put the tv on mute. It’s not that hard

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Larry instablocked me on Twitter 3 or 4 years ago, when during one of his rants about the CBA, I asked him why he ALWAYS sides with the PA on EVERY issue going back to 2004?

Shame because I was a fan of his work for decades. He did seem way "more in the know" in the 90s than he does now.

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
All this Larry hate is uncalled for. Is he always right? Of course not. But he comes from a place of trying to make sense and be rational.

You will all miss him when he hangs up the pen and press hat.

As I've mentioned before I've known Larry casually for over 25 years. I see him through mutual connections. It used to be 2-3 a year and now with him a grandfather and me being older, it's a lot less. He's always polite and a funny guy. I don't bother him about work anymore because I'm older, he's older, and he's "out of the office." But he always jokes about how we used to bother him for scoops back in the day.

He's a very funny guy, he's in on the joke much more than everyone thinks. He gets it. The whole "Golden Gloves" exchange with Torts is close to his humor.

And Larry and Torts are friendlier than anyone thinks.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
upload_2020-10-19_23-52-19.jpeg

Reactions: Maximus

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Another thing I’ve found is if you email him (and don’t come off like an AH) he’s likely to respond to you.
I’ve traded 3-4 notes with him this month. We were talking about the expansion draft this weekend. Not the smoothest writer but it’s not uncommon for reporters from his generation not to be great writers. Good guy, will always get high marks from me.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Larry is a moron but how is he wrong here?

The cap is a thing. You can't just put whoever on your team whenever you want. It's been in place since 2005, how does this still need to be explained?

And no, you can't just wake up one day and say "welp let's buy out Smith."

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Yeah, you can wake up 0ne day and buy out Smith because he has one year left on his deal and it's not a big deal. Smith is crap and should have been sent packing already. Brooks like Lou used to be great at what he did. However, people too often remember somebody for what they were in the past and fail to realize what they are now. They both suck ow. Lou winning GM of the year with his team clearly going to the miss the playoffs before Covid will go down as one of the great embarrassments in NHL awards history. Brooks getting love as a writer now is also an embarrassment. He's terrible. You can clearly see that he doesn't pay attention or follow the organizations prospects thoroughly. He's freakin lazy and has been for years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, you can wake up 0ne day and buy out Smith because he has one year left on his deal and it's not a big deal. Smith is crap and should have been sent packing already. Brooks like Lou used to be great at what he did. However, people too often remember somebody for what they were in the past and fail to realize what they are now. They both suck ow. Lou winning GM of the year with his team clearly going to the miss the playoffs before Covid will go down as one of the great embarrassments in NHL awards history. Brooks getting love as a writer now is also an embarrassment. He's terrible. You can clearly see that he doesn't pay attention or follow the organizations prospects thoroughly. He's freakin lazy and has been for years.

It's almost like you're a chronic grump. You're never happy.

If the Rangers were to make you GM you would--buy out Smith, somehow trade Buchnevich and Strome (to who? and for what?) and shitcan Quinn and play kids before they're ready.....and if the team after all that started playing like a tire fire you'd be looking for someone else to blame. We'd end up with three coaching changes and 15 major trades before the year was up and you'd be frustrated by cap implications almost constantly. And then you really wouldn't like the beat writers because they'd be picking on you and fans around the league and posters all over this board would be going Ha! Ha! Ha!

Reactions: Hensch and Maximus
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The delusion is strong with this one.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The OP and this thread is an absolute embarrassment, but that's par for the course for a bottom-of-the-barrel troll who will just keep coming back under another stupid username time and time again.

I am still surprised it's allowed for people to just create new accounts after being blocked

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Nobody really reads the post, times or daily news for hockey anymore.

So many fantastic bloggers, boards (like this one!) and news media from great hockey cities all have far better coverage of our beloved Rangers. Who cares. It's uncle larry. Let him die in peace.

Deleted member 23124

I think he is the type that will be extremely missed when he hangs them up, but might not get much appreciation before then. He covers a lot of things no others come close to. Sure there are some things that I think is wrong on his texts, but rather that than the simplistic twitter reports.
The man is obviously doing his job --- he's got his own thread on HF!!!.

I became of fan of Brooks during the 2005 lockout....he was one of 8 journalists banned by the NHL for not printing the "Bettman Bull" that was being passed out as news by the league.

But you have to remember that LB prints "opinions" -- unfortunately, some take them as "fact" and get bent out of shape over them.

Reactions: will1066

Deleted member 23124

Nobody really reads the post, times or daily news for hockey anymore.

So many fantastic bloggers, boards (like this one!) and news media from great hockey cities all have far better coverage of our beloved Rangers. Who cares. It's uncle larry. Let him die in peace.
I still read the Post for sports columns....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad