Larry Brooks

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Larry has never been a world class writer and he has always been interested in commerce; selling newspapers and getting online clicks, but your comments are insulting and completely unnecessary. Larry has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. He is a good reporter. He has broken many news items locally and nationally. I disagree with some of the stuff he writes but he's always been digging for news for the 24 years he has covered the Rangers. As someone who has not lived close to New York, Larry has often been my lifeline to the Rangers. On top of that he is a gracious man who answers many of my DMs.

You need a hell of a lot more standing around here to write something as egregious as your post.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Larry has never been a world class writer and he has always been interested in commerce; selling newspapers and getting online clicks, but your comments are insulting and completely unnecessary. Larry has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. He is a good reporter. He has broken many news items locally and nationally. I disagree with some of the stuff he writes but he's always been digging for news for the 24 years he has covered the Rangers. As someone who has not lived close to New York, Larry has often been my lifeline to the Rangers. On top of that he is a gracious man who answers many of my DMs.

You need a hell of a lot more standing around here to write something as egregious as your post.

This!!!....well said Bob

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I'm a little kinder on him than you. He is certainly hooked in to the league and is privy to information.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm actually shocked this thread has gone as well as it has, tho we haven't heard back from the OP if he even comes back which I have some serious doubts about. Thread could go sideways from there...lol

That said outside of Canada for us peeps here, Uncle Larry is pretty much the only print columnist that even discusses hockey. He knows his shit and I've been reading him for a little over 40 years.

Yeah he says some stupid stuff at times mostly to try and cause a little controversy for anyone who even cares about hockey but than again so do people here like the OP on threads like this despite us thinking we know more about hockey than JD, Gorton and even Larry Brooks....:nod:

I don't always care for Larry's takes but he's not as terrible as some people make out and FWIW I thought Dan Boyle made a major ass out of himself when he went after him on breakup day the one year. After two years I didn't like Boyle already (thought he was a pouter) and I liked him much less after that.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
But anyway Brooks had written articles about why Dan Boyle had been benched for several games by AV--was he supposed to keep quiet about what was turning into something of a controversy for the team? Pretty much AV wanted Boyle to move the puck and not go on skates with it and Boyle wouldn't listen and after a while the coach had had enough--so then AV benched him for a while. But really it was two years of subpar and selfish play from Boyle and no team afterwards that I know of offered Dan another contract. His own play ended his career not Larry Brooks.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't always agree with Larry, but I like him and normally enjoy his articles. Most teams would die to have a beat reporter like him that actually wrote good articles(whether you agree with them or not), and sometimes reports on some nuggets of rumors he hears.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't always care for Larry's takes but he's not as terrible as some people make out and FWIW I thought Dan Boyle made a major ass out of himself when he went after him on breakup day the one year. After two years I didn't like Boyle already (thought he was a pouter) and I liked him much less after that.

You gotta be doing something right when players and the HC hate your guts.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Brooks has clueless for years. He talks in most of his articles that the Rangers will not deviate from the rebuild. Then today he writes about how because of some minor cap space issues they won't play guys like Kravtsov and Barron unless they dominate in camp. Stupidity. His entire article basically is telling young players, don't bother showing up to camp unless you play like the first overall pick in the draft because you won't beat out scrubs like DiGiuseppe and Rooney. That's what losing organizations do. We saw this kind of crap last year. Playing Smith on the 4th line and on defense was incredibly dumb. Putting Fast on one of the top two lines. This is not what a winning organization does. It's not how you rebuild or how you treat prospects. What Brooks should have written about is the team getting rid of Smith who has no business on this team. He should have written about the team getting rid of Buchnevich who clearly has no spot on this team any longer. Instead he spends his time telling prospects like Kravtsov and Barron, don't come to camp because the team is going to play bums over you.
Hmmmm.....The OP as the "Larry Brooks of posters"? Seems like he confirms this

Narcissus

Jul 4, 2009
Whatever happened to the poster Rangerboy?

I had a sneaking suspicion that he was Larry Brooks.

Reactions: NYR

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Anybody else here think that this guy is completely incompetent when it comes to writing articles on this team? The stuff he writes in his articles is so absurd I can't even make it through his articles any longer. Today talking about not bringing up Kravtsov and Barron until half the season because of cap hits. You poor, old, senile, buffoon. This is a rebuild. You don't screw kids over because of cap hits that you can easily manage. You can buy Smith out. You can deal Stome. You can deal Buchnevich which I still fully expect Gorton to do. As always, trades are harder to make than we as fans would like. However, I don't see any way the Rangers won't put a kid in the lineup like Barron because of the salary cap if he earns it.

Senile Brooks goes on about how Barron or Kravtsov would have to play significantly better than other players in camp to earn a spot. No clown, they wouldn't. Our bottom six has been a joke for years. They need a player like Barron in the worst way. This fan base is sick and tired of watching scrubs like Smith, McKegg and DiGicrappy going out there and do nothing.
'
"Dancing" Larry Brooks hasn't had any inside access since Sather let go of the reigns. When's the last time he broke a signing or a trade ? All our breaking info comes from North of the border now. He is as obsolete as a 8 track player is now.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
On his latest podcast, Vince whatever his name said Jacques Martin like Matt Martin or Curtis Martin, Torrey Krug like bug or hug, and Pajuniemi like Pjsdlajgslgalsj. Lock this thread.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
uncle larry is an old school hockey writer.

he calls it like he sees it.

i disagree with some of what he says but i frequently agree as well. hes a great source and he does pay attention. he has an agenda sometimes but thats ok with me. i can form my own opinions.

he reads this site. im certain of that.

im glad hes around.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
uncle larry is an old school hockey writer.

he calls it like he sees it.

i disagree with some of what he says but i frequently agree as well. hes a great source and he does pay attention. he has an agenda sometimes but thats ok with me. i can form my own opinions.

he reads this site. im certain of that.

im glad hes around.

He is not just a writer. He is a fan. His agenda mirrors ours, in what is best for the team. Of course, what he thinks is the best for the team doesn't always jibe with what we think is best for the team.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He is not just a writer. He is a fan. His agenda mirrors ours, in what is best for the team. Of course, what he thinks is the best for the team doesn't always jibe with what we think is best for the team.

i agree with your take

hes a fan and someone who always has an opinion on the team from a very plugged in perspective.

i enjoy reading him even though i frequently disagree

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
i agree with your take

hes a fan and someone who always has an opinion on the team from a very plugged in perspective.

i enjoy reading him even though i frequently disagree
Completely agree.

The original comment that started this thread is so ridiculous, ill informed and of ill temper that I wonder if its purpose was just to get everyone riled up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad