Confirmed with Link: Larry Brooks Voted to Hockey Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Well yeah, players tend to age out unlike writers for the most part. Not really commenting on who comes off badly or not, but saying a writer outlasted a player isn't really proof that either is better or worse than the other.
Of course. That's part of what made Boyle's tantrum so stupid.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hi-larry-ious in a way. All the grief he got from Torts--and that rant by Boyle and he kept on going. In a lot of ways I thought Torts was a good coach but his post game press conferences got old for me pretty quick. All the bullying and silencing etc. was garbage. I'm not commenting on Dan Boyle's entire career--it was a very, very good one but his two years here---he was awful. Brooks just said what a lot of Rangers fans were already thinking and didn't have the opportunity to say. I'd rather have a reporter telling me what's really going on rather than toeing the company line.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His fellow writers just voted him into the Hockey Hall of Fame. I would say he's respected by a whole hell of a lot of people.
We give Brooksie a lot of shit, but there’s no denying he’s a world class writer. I’m starting to realize that I need to appreciate how good I have it as a Rangers fan with Sam/Joe, Dave Maloney, and Brooksie. We’re blessed to have some of the best surrounding our organization

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Boyle was a mistake from day one, management deserved the expletives and the criticism, yet here we are talking about who was right the pawn or the pawn....

As for Larry, was never the same when he came back from working with the Devils organization.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Boyle was brought in to not only replace some of the (better) personnel that was headed out the door, but was sold on his veteran leadership. He was anything but a leader here, and this was the culmination of 2 years of generally being a curmudgeon in NY.
I thought the whole Boyle thing was related to issues he was having off the ice (family matter or something) and Brooks didn't pull punches in his writing about Boyle, which pissed him off.

Anyway... comments in a thread about a man getting into the HHOF and him NOT being respected is laughable.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still say Boyle had every right to tell him off, but that's irrelevant to his nomination.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Torts War was an all-timer. Will cherish that forever.

Larry's face turn in the past year has been pretty cool though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wouldn't have thought he has the qualifications.

Then again, I'm far more restrictive about HOF entry across all sports. It's too inclusive, IMO.
What would you establish as the minimum qualifications for induction into the journalists' wing of the HHOF?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Congrats to Larry. He is one of the few writers, let alone NYR writers that I go out of my way to read. Don't agree with every take, but he is great at weaving a tale for sure.

Reactions: Off Sides

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dude makes the HHOF but he’s not respected around the league. Holy crap are you off. Dan Boyle as a Ranger was a POS. Stole money and was a *****ebag. Are you serious with your post?

Boyle stole money? Hahahahahahahaha. He was offered 9 million for 2 years. Should he have turned it down? Boyle wasn't a douchebag. He was over the hill as a player, but he didn't deserve the hate he got. Drury went through the same as a player. He was called a "thief" for accepting the contract he was offered. It's ridiculous.

Brooks isn't respected by players. This is a known fact. In general, he isn't a popular person. Yes, he's good at his job, but he's not likable.

I don't even have to ask if you're serious because unfortunately it's painfully obvious you are dead serious with your post. #nopuckingclue

Reactions: PlamsUnlimited

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brooks had written some articles in Boyle's second season after Boyle had been scratched numerous times explaining exactly why those scratches were happening. It's been a while but as I remember it AV wanted Dan to move the puck quickly up the ice for his fast break offense and not play around with it and/or go for skates with it and Dan just refused to do what he was told to do and that he would pout when he was scratched as in 'Why is this guy playing and not me'. That guy by the way sometimes was Dylan McIlrath who didn't play a whole lot either but there were streaks where he did and Boyle sat. Whether you like Dylan or not--he wasn't a complainer. At least that was part of it and IMO those articles that Brooks wrote are what Dan Boyle went ballistic over at the end of the year. Sucks to be him--play better--do what they f*** you're told--figure out what it is that the rest of the team is doing and shut the f*** up. IMO Dan Boyle as a Ranger was a shit teammate.

Boyle's offensive numbers with us pretty much sucked and he was a liability defensively. He also took lots of reckless chances that led to opposition goals. I always got this sense of entitlement from him. He wasn't nearly worth his cap hit and IMO I was glad to see the back of him.

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Look, Larry can be an easy guy to disagree with.

But I don’t know if fans on here truly understand that his coverage is as respected as any reporter outside of Canada.

Yeah, there are times you want him to pick a hand. But you still read him. And to some extent, that’s the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad