Confirmed with Link: Larry Brooks Voted to Hockey Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Brooks isn't respected by players. This is a known fact. In general, he isn't a popular person. Yes, he's good at his job, but he's not likable.

Ever been in the locker room of a pro sports team? Most pro athletes, NHL players included, barely tolerate any members of the media. Hockey players are way better than most, but in general they don't enjoy giving interviews.

MLB players are the most pompous of all pro athletes & they look far down their noses at ANYONE who can't hit a round ball with a round bat. NFL & NBA players aren't too far behind on the obnoxious scale.

Yes there are exceptions in every sport, but for every Larry Fitzgerald, Phil Mickleson & David Wright, there are five hundred Dez Bryants, Cam Newtons, Chase Utleys & Matt Harveys.

Writers can't be concerned with being popular with players. They couldn't be effective at their jobs if they cared about being well liked. Larry's peers respect him & that's all that matters in this case.

This honor is well deserved. You have to be happy for a guy who lived out his dream covering pro sports & did it at a very high level in the media capital of the world. Congrats, Larry.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well deserved, Brooksie!

His takes or suggestions might be head-scratchy sometimes, and he holds on to grudges way too long for my taste.

But he is respected by the front office, breaks news without a delay, stirs a discussion and dares to tell players or coaches to their faces what we as fans feel when other reporters are “just there”.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brooks is the only beat writer I read much anymore. For the most part tho bloggers and podcasters do a better job of reading the actual play than Brooks does. Just my opinion of course.

He's still got a good pulse for what's going on within...but when it comes to the actual play on the ice...he's very meh

Winston2018

Winston The Maltipoo
Feb 5, 2018
NNJ
Congratulations...Larry brought us into the Ranger world thru facts and assumptions.... it has been great. In the old garden we had seats that passed the press area and we would catch a glance of Larry and he always had Facia Bruta ( ugly or angry face) ..thats my nickname for him to my son.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Still say that it's Boyle who comes off badly here. One's still here and one is not. Nuff said.
Dan Boyle is 41, why would and should he "still be here"?

Boyle was right to tell him off here. I know we have a tendency to not piss on people's parade but I don't see how Larry somehow gets a pass now for "just being around" after years and years of writing like an asshole and just trying to insert himself into story after story.
Torts was right, Brooks was the kid that got beat up at the bus stop and has found a niche for himself where he can appear relevant by simply trying to piss off people who know and have done MUCH more for New York hockey than this jackass can ever dream of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Dan Boyle is 41, why would and should he "still be here"?

Boyle was right to tell him off here. I know we have a tendency to not piss on people's parade but I don't see how Larry somehow gets a pass now for "just being around" after years and years of writing like an ******* and just trying to insert himself into story after story.
Torts was right, Brooks was the kid that got beat up at the bus stop and has found a niche for himself where he can appear relevant by simply trying to piss off people who know and have done MUCH more for New York hockey than this jackass can ever dream of.

And yet he was voted into the Hall of Fame....

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Amazing how that old boys club works, isn't it?
There are a ton of young journalists, foreign journalists that I bet 99% of us have never heard of, and literally every respected name in hockey media, young or old, in the PHWA. You don't win the award that Brooks did just because the "Old Boys" like you. There are almost 200 people in the PHWA and most of them would not fit any definition of comprising an "Old Boys Club."

Reactions: klingsor
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
There are a ton of young journalists, foreign journalists that I bet 99% of us have never heard of, and literally every respected name in hockey media, young or old, in the PHWA. You don't win the award that Brooks did just because the "Old Boys" like you. There are almost 200 people in the PHWA and most of them would not fit any definition of comprising an "Old Boys Club."

Forget it, he's rolling.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I pretty much echo what others have said, I don't agree with all his takes, some of them I think are intended just to stir up the fan base, which is part of his job. Overall I have always liked Brooks when he is speaking from real insight, and I like disagreeing when I think he is just throwing stuff out there whether that is of his own creation or something being leaked with the intention of it being floated out to the masses.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I pretty much echo what others have said, I don't agree with all his takes, some of them I think are intended just to stir up the fan base, which is part of his job. Overall I have always liked Brooks when he is speaking from real insight, and I like disagreeing when I think he is just throwing stuff out there whether that is of his own creation or something being leaked with the intention of it being floated out to the masses.

I think this is very well said. Part of his job is to help sell papers. He does that by being polarizing. I also think that sometimes readers misinterpret his reporting with his columns.

Reactions: nyr2k2

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This is your view of how the HOF process works?

I made a silly response to a silly comment, sue me.

His "oh but he is in the hall of fame" comment while factual is just a flat out ridiculous attempt at invoking an argument from authority.

Tolstoy and Twain never received Nobel prices like literary heavy weights Rudolf Eucken and Deledda who do HAVE literary Nobel prices. What does it tell us? You go figure that out, in the mean time I'll continue to not fawn over a second rate New York Post "journalist" who happens to write about the sport and team I like and STILL is trying to be the story.

You guys can enjoy and like him all you want, I'll keep my own opinion of this moron.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think this is very well said. Part of his job is to help sell papers. He does that by being polarizing. I also think that sometimes readers misinterpret his reporting with his columns.

That is always the thing with Brooks--is it a news piece or an opinion piece? If it is news-related stuff, he is great, best around. If it is opinion-based, it could be an awesome read or make your eyes roll out of your skull. One thing I always appreciate with him however if that he is never afraid to rip into the team or players, and yet he somehow does it in a way that is skillful enough that he can maintain relationships where he can still get the scoop. A lot of guys in a lot of sports just write fluff, because they're afraid of alienating the guys they get their info from. Brooks never operates that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unusual Suspect

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You guys can enjoy and like him all you want, I'll keep my own opinion of this moron.

I don't always like him and I don't always enjoy him. I do respect his career. And you can feel however you want about the guy, I don't really care about that. To each his/her own, you know? I just think the assertion that he was only elected into the HHOF because of some Old Boys Club is baseless. That's it. But I don't think there's anymore to say on it, so I'll leave it there.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I don't always like him and I don't always enjoy him. I do respect his career. And you can feel however you want about the guy, I don't really care about that. To each his/her own, you know? I just think the assertion that he was only elected into the HHOF because of some Old Boys Club is baseless. That's it. But I don't think there's anymore to say on it, so I'll leave it there.

It is, but I already explained myself.

The only positive thing I can say about Brooks is that he has been employed for a long time. I don't find anything redeeming about his public character.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If a journalists job is to antagonize, & make himself part of the story then the HOF makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

It is, but I already explained myself.

The only positive thing I can say about Brooks is that he has been employed for a long time. I don't find anything redeeming about his public character.
Refusing to report the Bettman Bull during the lockouts sounds pretty redeeming to me. If memory serves, he was one of 8 reporters during the '04 lockout that ended up being banned from all NHL web sources because of it (Damien Cox of The Star was another).

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Brooks has been an awful beat writer for a decade now. For starters, he is unbelievably lazy. He knows nothing about our farm system. He doesn't study other teams farm systems either. He's beyond dumb analyzing the problems with the team. His idiotic solution to fixing the team is the same, boring, drivel. They need a number one right handed defenseman! Then the tool offers up the entire team in a trade to get one. He should have been canned 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad