Confirmed with Link: Larry Brooks Voted to Hockey Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Brooks has been an awful beat writer for a decade now. For starters, he is unbelievably lazy. He knows nothing about our farm system. He doesn't study other teams farm systems either. He's beyond dumb analyzing the problems with the team. His idiotic solution to fixing the team is the same, boring, drivel. They need a number one right handed defenseman! Then the tool offers up the entire team in a trade to get one. He should have been canned 10 years ago.

Ssssh... you are supposed to praise him and be quiet about any sort of criticism!
You ol' troublemaker you.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brooks has been an awful beat writer for a decade now. For starters, he is unbelievably lazy. He knows nothing about our farm system. He doesn't study other teams farm systems either. He's beyond dumb analyzing the problems with the team. His idiotic solution to fixing the team is the same, boring, drivel. They need a number one right handed defenseman! Then the tool offers up the entire team in a trade to get one. He should have been canned 10 years ago.
How is he voted into HOF?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ssssh... you are supposed to praise him and be quiet about any sort of criticism!
You ol' troublemaker you.
That's so lame. You were going back-and-forth with me and I came right out and said I don't always agree with him and don't always like him. I've criticized his columns and his sensationalism many times on these boards. I even said that "sometimes he's a turd" in my first post in the thread. I don't think anyone has suggested at any point in this thread that he is beyond criticism; to the contrary, I think that most in this thread that have been supportive of Brooks have also acknowledged that he can be a douchebag. But, sure, keep knocking down that straw man.

Reactions: Off Sides

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
That's so lame. You were going back-and-forth with me and I came right out and said I don't always agree with him and don't always like him. I've criticized his columns and his sensationalism many times on these boards. I even said that "sometimes he's a turd" in my first post in the thread. I don't think anyone has suggested at any point in this thread that he is beyond criticism; to the contrary, I think that most in this thread that have been supportive of Brooks have also acknowledged that he can be a *****ebag. But, sure, keep knocking down that straw man.

I wasn't referring to you, more so to the guy who accused me of "rolling/trolling" when I didn't fall into the "let's praise Larry" line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll say this--love him or hate him, when he hangs them up, I suspect we'll all be substantially worse off as fans regarding inside information. The Rangers are incredibly tight-lipped, and I don't see any of our other "beat" "writers" getting the inside scoop.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
How is he voted into HOF?

Because he's been around forever and works in the biggest sports market in the world.

I don't dislike Larry but this award is really just a combination of longevity and being known.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I'll say this--love him or hate him, when he hangs them up, I suspect we'll all be substantially worse off as fans regarding inside information. The Rangers are incredibly tight-lipped, and I don't see any of our other "beat" "writers" getting the inside scoop.

There will always be someone getting inside info. Leaking can be pretty useful if done correctly.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think most people will be surprised by how much of a decline there will be when Larry retires.

There's a reason why we don't talk much about the other sports reporters, despite being in one of the few markets in North America where newspapers are still (somewhat) hanging on.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Larry is an embarassment. Attempting to diminish the caps cup because they 'didnt' have to face lundqvist' makes everyone look bad as he represents the organization and fans.

like that caps team wouldn't have swept this trash ass team even with King in goal....

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Larry is an embarassment. Attempting to diminish the caps cup because they 'didnt' have to face lundqvist' makes everyone look bad as he represents the organization and fans.

like that caps team wouldn't have swept this trash ass team even with King in goal....

And unfortunately that's the other side of the coin where it's like "Just shut up, Larry."

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
While I do occasionally get annoyed at him (and may have called him a shill on twitter a few times), he deserves this. His analysis and sources result in some top-notch coverage. It's his opinion pieces that generally rub people the wrong way, but I think it's telling that even people who hate him tend to respect his reporting. Congrats!
I dont really think this is true.... Most people i know think he sucks, his coverage gets overlooked and rightfully so by his awful opinions.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I dont really think this is true.... Most people i know think he sucks, his coverage gets overlooked and rightfully so by his awful opinions.
Clearly it is not overlooked as he is going to the HOF. And love him or hate him, seems that most around here read him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Clearly it is not overlooked as he is going to the HOF. And love him or hate him, seems that most around here read him.
Yeah, it's amazing how many people who think he's just the worst consistently read his columns, and then run here to tell us how much he sucks. I'm sure the Post has loved that behavior for Brooks' tenure.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
L Brooks is a very knowledgeable person related to sport and hockey to be specific, and it`s a well deserved award and happy for him.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

He represents what organization and what fans? If you say, "New York Rangers" I will say you are completely wrong. He represents himself and the NY Post, beat writer or not.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, it's amazing how many people who think he's just the worst consistently read his columns, and then run here to tell us how much he sucks. I'm sure the Post has loved that behavior for Brooks' tenure.
I stopped reading his stuff years ago. Every now and then a friend will call me and tell me what "Brooks had the other day...." His job is to generate clicks, nothing else.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I stopped reading his stuff years ago. Every now and then a friend will call me and tell me what "Brooks had the other day...." His job is to generate clicks, nothing else.
He's paid by the NY Post to generate clicks, yes. He does that by posting sensationalized nonsense, but also by being the best beat reporter we've had in forever. I mean I don't really care if anyone likes or respects him; I definitely get why you wouldn't. His opinion pieces usually make my eyes roll out of my head. But to pretend he doesn't generate any legitimate content, any actual news and rumors, is just factually incorrect. Which is fine--like anyone elected into any HOF, we can all piss and moan about whether it was deserved, but the people whose opinions matter most feel that it was deserved, and so he's there and that's that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Never once have I ever felt that Larry Brooks spoke for, let alone, represents me or the Rangers. Pretty sure that Larry Brooks doesn't believe that he does either.....
Right. He's associated with the Rangers as he is a beat writer for them, but in no way, shape, or form does he represent them. The Rangers do have their own official journalists employed by the team, who in turn represent them, but Brooks is not one of those journalists. And in terms of representing the fans--that's just not his job at all and no one person can represent a body as large and diverse as Rangers fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->