Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
So that to me demonstrates that that hit, while reckless, was definitely NOT something Torres did with malicious intent and something he would legitimately feel terrible about.

I agree with most of what you said. However, I don't think Torres's hit on Stoll was reckless. (And FWIW, I think the reckless term gets thrown around too often on these boards.)

Recklessness is generally something that is at least very close to sociopathic behavior. It's a wanton disregard for the safety of others or for the consequences of one's actions. E.g., "I don't give even one little **** if I completely destroy you (long-term) with my hit. If you don't want to get permanently maimed, don't play hockey. LOLOLOLOL." It can also be "we're almost certain that you did that intentionally bc it was so dangerous but we can't prove it."

I don't think that Torres's hit was even negligent (i.e., not as careful as an average NHL hockey player would/should have been under the circumstances) but I know I may have teal colored glasses here. I can definitely understand an argument that Torres was not as careful as he (or any other player in that circumstance) should have been. No offense, but I don't understand the claim that the hit was reckless.

My problems with the "eye-for-an-eye" or "Biblical" approach of suspending an offender until the victim returns to play still revolve around the definition of 'dirty' and the determination of 'intent'. . . .

I appreciate the spirit of the 'Biblical' approach, but administrating / adjudicating it is pretty darn complex and not any more 'objective' than the current regime.

I'm not advocating an "eye-for-an-eye" approach but I don't think you need to show any intent in order to use it. You can use it under a completely no-fault system.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Anything less than ten games would be a joke.

I agree, but the main board is full of "it wasn't even that bad" and "Boyle was at fault for turning his back to Lapierre at the last second". Lapierre had plenty of time to do...well, anything other than charge into the 22 on Boyle's back, but he did just that. :shakehead

Let's blame Boyle, because he obviously lacks defensive fundamentals. I guess he needs 15 more years in the NHL before he learns those.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
I agree, but the main board is full of "it wasn't even that bad" and "Boyle was at fault for turning his back to Lapierre at the last second". Lapierre had plenty of time to do...well, anything other than charge into the 22 on Boyle's back, but he did just that. :shakehead

Let's blame Boyle, because he obviously lacks defensive fundamentals. I guess he needs 15 more years in the NHL before he learns those.

You've either gotta be a total St. Louis homer or Don Cherry to say Boyle had any responsibility. Lapierre had a ton of time to let up.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Seems like more than just Blues fans, too, which is really odd. A lot of Blues fans were definitely horrified and wish Lapierre weren't on their team. I've seen the point of view that Boyle should've chipped the puck up the boards and absorbed the hit. The way he turned back and passed it behind the net happens just as much as chipping it up the boards, in my opinion. Lapierre is an *******, but he's probably not stupid (meaning he knew Boyle would turn and wasn't gonna stop no matter what). He was gonna hit Boyle, numbers facing him or not.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

It's just a vocal minority, that's all.

I guarantee you the VAST majority of fans who saw that hit blame Lapierre, I doubt it's even close. You are just hearing from the people who car enough to post about it, us, the blues, and a bunch of random people who post about every hit and claim it 'wasn't that bad' because they fear hitting is being removed from the game (which is ludicrous, hockey is impossible to play without hitting).

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It's just a vocal minority, that's all.

I guarantee you the VAST majority of fans who saw that hit blame Lapierre, I doubt it's even close. You are just hearing from the people who car enough to post about it, us, the blues, and a bunch of random people who post about every hit and claim it 'wasn't that bad' because they fear hitting is being removed from the game (which is ludicrous, hockey is impossible to play without hitting).

Another view that may increase the # of games that that dirtbag gets is the game was nationally broadcast. The NHL needs to draw in casual fans and hits like that won't help their cause.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Guessing after tonights hit by mcleod we will find out how much the suspension relies on past history.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
its going to be an uneven number or a even number of games, and it is going to piss off certain fans no matter what. that is my prediction.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
its going to be an uneven number or a even number of games, and it is going to piss off certain fans no matter what. that is my prediction.

Blues fans will be happy he is out of the lineup. Canucks fans will be the angry ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad