Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Wish it was more, but he isn't a repeat offender. I'm sure they told him if he does it again he's going to be in serious trouble, and he very likely will do it again. At least the league got it pretty much right.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
brb grabbing popcorn as I wait for the DW response statement

popcorn_mj.gif

Shut Yer Five Hole

Gary Simmons Gets It
May 11, 2009
Way NorCal
Not happy with only 5, but it's always a crap shoot with Shanahan. I found the whole "well he caught his skate and he was off-balance" thing kind of absurd. 10 games would have been better but I'm hardly objective.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's about what I expected since he's not a repeat offender (even though he's always been a puke), and the hit wasn't at full speed or malicious. But, when you commit a penalty and the other player is injured, you bare responsibility for that injury.

In these cases, result of the play does matter.

I just hope next time these two teams play that someone just knocks him on his ass or punches his face shield in (if he'll even be dressed since he's a scrub to begin with....).

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Some on twitter pointing out that 5 is the most they could give him without allowing him to appeal. I wonder if the NHL didn't want it going to a neutral arbitrator who might see things like the boneheads on the main boards and blame Boyle.

If that's the case, I'm fine with five. Make this loser sit instead of dragging it out and going around perpetuating the idea that it wasn't completely his fault. which it was.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That's about what I expected since he's not a repeat offender (even though he's always been a puke), and the hit wasn't at full speed or malicious. But, when you commit a penalty and the other player is injured, you bare responsibility for that injury.

In these cases, result of the play does matter.

I just hope next time these two teams play that someone just knocks him on his ass or punches his face shield in (if he'll even be dressed since he's a scrub to begin with....).

Seemed pretty much full speed to me, any faster and he'd have hurt himself.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
5 games is more than I expected. Just enough so that he can't appeal.

Exactly. I think the NHLPA push with Kaleta appealing his ten game "repeat offender" suspension did play a part.

Wish it was more, but he isn't a repeat offender. I'm sure they told him if he does it again he's going to be in serious trouble, and he very likely will do it again. At least the league got it pretty much right.

But he does have a history of this (see Nichol).

brb grabbing popcorn as I wait for the DW response statement

popcorn_mj.gif

Doubt Plattner will pay another (big) fine for him. It will be Sunday afternoon at the earliest (48 hours) before DW will publicly say anything.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
These suspensions are pointless. 3 games? 5 games? even 10 games is nothing compared to the damage they could have caused with these hits. Yeah because suspending them for X amount of games is really gonna stop them from wanting to do it in the future.... Is it gonna take someone getting permanently paralyzed or even dying for something to change?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
5 is right where I expected it to be. IMO people hoping for more games with a non-repeat offender and in context with other recent suspensions are not being realistic.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
These suspensions are pointless. 3 games? 5 games? even 10 games is nothing compared to the damage they could have caused with these hits. Yeah because suspending them for X amount of games is really gonna stop them from wanting to do it in the future.... Is it gonna take someone getting permanently paralyzed or even dying for something to change?

The financial loss isn't enough at 10 games, but once a player hits the ten game plateau the next penalty gets their attention. Cooke and Torres turned over new leaves once they got past 10.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have come to the conclusion that I will never be happy with regards to how the NHL hands out suspensions, so.............................

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
This was the right amount. If Boyle doesn't trip, it's a 2 minute minor. But the responsibility is on the hitter what happens after he makes an illegal check, and so 5 games is just right IMO.

Sucks Boyle will probably be out a while, but I don't think Lappy deserved more than 5.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
When you pull this crap and have to play the Sharks later in the season, you're gonna have a bad time. I want a good, clean check to rock his world next time he suits up against San Jose. Shoulder to shoulder, fully legal, but monstrous.

Or somebody jump him. :sarcasm:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This was the right amount. If Boyle doesn't trip, it's a 2 minute minor. But the responsibility is on the hitter what happens after he makes an illegal check, and so 5 games is just right IMO.

Sucks Boyle will probably be out a while, but I don't think Lappy deserved more than 5.

If Boyle doesn't hit his chin on the dasher and get knocked cold, it's a 2 minute minor. This was a dumb hit, but the suspension is all about the injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad