Confirmed with Link: Landeskog suspended 3 games

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Or galvanize the team as they step up for the stretch run, after two 60 minute performances. There's still enough talent to beat the next three teams on our schedule if we play like we did in these last two.

And I've liked how our boys have responded to struggles this season; lets see if they can impress me again.

Agreed. Victory over Ducks revitalized my hopes for the playoffs, team seems to be focused and Varlamov seems to be confident

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
well, Ive been preaching to the choir about the blatant non calls the NHL now has as its standard... this slows the game lowers the points... setting up for stuff like this hit to be normal, I see this, on the shoulder not the head, every game..
So, start calling penalties and get as a result a cleaner faster more skill game, and watch this stuff go away..
that said, Landy got this one after taking a bad suspension already...
at least he will be fresh when he gets back...

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
well, Ive been preaching to the choir about the blatant non calls the NHL now has as its standard... this slows the game lowers the points... setting up for stuff like this hit to be normal, I see this, on the shoulder not the head, every game..
So, start calling penalties and get as a result a cleaner faster more skill game, and watch this stuff go away..
that said, Landy got this one after taking a bad suspension already...
at least he will be fresh when he gets back...
Yes I thought that I was the only one who noticed that referees seem to be slacking. They don't call penalties like they used too. I am seeing a lot of hooking being not called lately. If the league doesn't do something, it's gonna go back to pre 2005 lock-out mode pretty soon.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yes I thought that I was the only one who noticed that referees seem to be slacking. They don't call penalties like they used too. I am seeing a lot of hooking being not called lately. If the league doesn't do something, it's gonna go back to pre 2005 lock-out mode pretty soon.

God I hope not.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it's fair amount considering he got suspended earlier in the season. But Hench is on to something concerning how Landeskog gets three, while Dubinsky seriously got one on something more intention. Hell, Landeskog had no intention to injury, it was reckless and careless, which you deserve to be suspended for.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it's fair amount considering he got suspended earlier in the season. But Hench is on to something concerning how Landeskog gets three, while Dubinsky seriously got one on something more intention. Hell, Landeskog had no intention to injury, it was reckless and careless, which you deserve to be suspended for.

Just because they screwed up with Dubi doesn't mean we have any right to be mad that they didn't screw up with Landy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just because they screwed up with Dubi doesn't mean we can be mad that they didn't screw up with Landy.

We can be upset with the lack of consistency. If all of these future matters are handled like Landy's was, the egg is on my face and I'll say NHL is correcting things.

It still seems Avs get more than other teams. Barrie's 3 for a first time offense. EJ's two for not a terrible slash (bad result though), Landy's suspensions, and McLeod's 5 for a first time offender. Those are all high amounts compared to the rest of the league.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We can be upset with the lack of consistency. If all of these future matters are handled like Landy's was, the egg is on my face and I'll say NHL is correcting things.

It still seems Avs get more than other teams. Barrie's 3 for a first time offense. EJ's two for not a terrible slash (bad result though), Landy's suspensions, and McLeod's 5 for a first time offender. Those are all high amounts compared to the rest of the league.

I'd guess that it's coincidence. I bet the league is too inconsistent and incompetent to target a single team like that even if they wanted to. ;)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Depends on whether you think that (ignoring precedents) these plays deserve punishment like landy got or like what dubi did. If you think that this merits the 3 games just based on this one play (not the DoPS's history), then I don't think we can. At least not without being hypocritical. That's why...though the inconsistency is annoying...that's not a gripe against this punishment to my eyes.

And we're not a favored team by the league, so they're less likely to screw up to our benefit. That and Roy's rep after the stanchion-incident probably explain those suspensions where coincidence is insufficient.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Seems about right. One game for the play, one for repeat offender, and one for it not being called in game.

If it had been called 5 and GM in game, and Landy had no record, I could have seen this end up as a fine...but with the situation as it is, I think it is fair. Heck, could have tacked another game on for second offense in a season, but glad they didn't.

The only way it seems unfair is compared to the leniency they have shown others in the past. Specifically the crosscheck on Miller's neck by Buff. That was only 4 games, despite similar histories, no penalty called, and a much more viscous and dangerous crosscheck. There have been some suspensions I have thought were too severe, but most are fine, or too short IMO. I am one to err on the side of caution...I want to watch the best players play as long as possible, which means making it clear to rule breakers that dangerous plays are going to cost them. Big.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Called that one. Like I said if he wasn't a repeat offender, we'd be talking max 1 game maybe a fine. But since he is a repeat offender 3-5 game seemed fair. Can't make those kinds of plays. Cross check to the head where he leaves his feet. Just a dumb play by Landy. Sure hope this doesn't cost us in the end.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Suspension is fair. Landeskog has built a bit of a bad rep and now it's even worse. Unfortunate since he's such a good guy.

I know it wont happen but what a prime opportunity to call Rantanen up. He plays all 3 games on that Sodamat line. Gets a quick 3 game trial. If he shows that he will help the team down the stretch you say **** it and burn the elc year since he can actually help us make the playoffs. If he's just a marginal upgrade or less you thank him for his time, tell him he replaced Landeskog very well but now the team is healthy and he needs to go finish out the season strong in the AHL and be ready to play a top 6 role in the NHL next season.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I'm ok with 3 games, it was a stupid penalty and 3 games is fair. My problem with the department of player safety is consistency. How many times have we seen worse not subject to additional discipline?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm ok with 3 games, it was a stupid penalty and 3 games is fair. My problem with the department of player safety is consistency. How many times have we seen worse not subject to additional discipline?

Yeah, consistency and the fact that they base their decisions on how much a player is injured. Two things they need to change.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Reallly happy with Landy's reaction to the suspension. Totally owned up to it, said there was no excuse and that he was embarrassed by it. He didn't sulk though he stood tall while taking accountability. That's why he's captain.

I bet we see a dominating viking mode the rest of the way, when he gets back.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good quotes from Landeskog and I'd expect nothing less from him. He also didn't have much of a choice though. He had to own it since it's right there for everyone to see. Hopefully our playoff chances don't take too much of a hit before he can get back and make up for it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can you imagine if the Ducks got back on a roll and took the top spot, while we beat out the Wild for the final WC? Would we run out of unsuspended players before they ran out of Dmen for us to goon up?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It would be a hell of a series to face the Ducks... I'm sure it would be a bloodbath.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'd actually really enjoy a series against Anaheim. I'd probably rather face them over LA or SJ.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would be a hell of a series to face the Ducks... I'm sure it would be a bloodbath.

Yeah, if our boys could survive that, then at least we'd know that we can goon it up with anybody. :yo:

If we get in I'm still hoping for the Stars to take the top spot; but a series with the Ducks or Hawks should be a blast as well...and one with the Blues would assure us a second round date with Chicago!

God damn do I hope that the boys can keep this intensity from these past two games up for the rest of the season. Let Varly be our talisman again and just play balls to the wall in front of him until we have to go home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad