Confirmed with Link: Landeskog suspended 3 games

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I just wish the NHL would judge these incidents by themselves, not against injuries, other incidents, or past history.

Past history and other incidents are important. You want to develop consistency (past incidents) and you want to be heavy handed on true repeat offenders. I'm not a fan of the once you're suspended the next one is an extra couple games, but players like Cooke and Torres deserved the offender status.

The problem I have is that the NHL is not supposed to use injury in its evaluation. Their own departmental videos even say injury does not determine if a play is suspendable or determine its length. Yet they don't practice what they preach.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have no problem using past history, repeat status, etc. I don't like that injuries equate to suspension and the inconsistency between penalties. If Dubi got a game for his antics, that is what Landy should have gotten. If Dubi got 2, that is what Landy should have gotten. Buff has similar antics and he goes unpunished. If the NHL was consistent in their punishment, there would be little argument from me. They just are not consistent.

Another instance was Barrie's suspension... EJ had a worse hit on Perry during the same game, but Perry wasn't injured so EJ didn't get a suspension. If EJ got 2 or 3 I wouldn't have batted an eye if Barrie got 1. Instead Barrie got 3 and EJ didn't even get fined.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Losing any key player for any reason for three games in a stretch like this is tough. Mack and Dutchy need to play at top ability for those games and hopefully beyond that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would mind the three games a lot less if the first suspension this season that triggers the "repeat offender" wasn't a ******** call by the DPS. The hit on Marchand was hard but even the video they used admitted that the head wasn't the main point of contact there. This was a dirty hit, but three games is too much for that.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If they go 1-2 in those 3 games without Landeskog they'll be lucky, this team can't afford to lose anybody at this point of the season, even the 4th line players. If they gonna start relying on Martinsen or call up Everberg etc.. they're in trouble. I know Martinsen had a good game yesterday but relying on him to replace Landeskog even if it's only for 3 games will be bad for the Avs. Three games at this point and where the Avs are in the standings=30 games.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It would be really nice if the league could show some consistency in their suspensions, most of their decisions are awful.

That said, they were on point with this one. Very stupid play by Lando there and its not the first time this season for him. Hopefully this wakes him up and he knocks off the dirty plays like this, all hes doing is hurting the team in the middle of a playoff race.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It would be really nice if the league could show some consistency in their suspensions, most of their decisions are awful.

That said, they were on point with this one. Very stupid play by Lando there and its not the first time this season for him. Hopefully this wakes him up and he knocks off the dirty plays like this, all hes doing is hurting the team in the middle of a playoff race.

Landeskog should of taken Byfuglien with him to the hearing, seems like Byfuglien is good at talking himself out of suspensions because he got away with worse and all he had to do is go tell them he didn't mean to hit the guy high and they said ok, you're not suspended.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Not really, no injury folks move on pretty quick around here.

...I don't get it. Why would if someone got injured from malicious intent make any difference? If someone tried to shoot you and missed, would you just shrug it off if they felt sorry about it? I know that's a severe example but that's pretty much where my logic is going with this.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Grigs - Dutch - Iggy
Martinsen - MacK - Boeds
Matthias - Yeti - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille

We can manage that against the Jets, Nucks and Flames
flip Mart and Matt around if you'd like

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
...I don't get it. Why would if someone got injured from malicious intent make any difference? If someone tried to shoot you and missed, would you just shrug it off if they felt sorry about it? I know that's a severe example but that's pretty much where my logic is going with this.

It still happens all the time, our guys get hit or whatever and we don't like it but if the player doesn't get hurt how many people keep harping on it? I'm not saying it's ok but to say we'd be completely outraged isn't true. People around here are sensitive to being seen as too whiny anyway.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
not good... this might end the season

Or galvanize the team as they step up for the stretch run, after two 60 minute performances. There's still enough talent to beat the next three teams on our schedule if we play like we did in these last two.

And I've liked how our boys have responded to struggles this season; lets see if they can impress me again.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Even a broken clock is right twice a day... a bit excessive considering their history but at face value this makes sense and I hope they continue in this direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad