Lamoriello/Trotz vs Dubas/Babcock

Which tandem is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You're welcome and it was very easy to find with a quick Google search, plus I knew the right word combinations to type.

It's great to read and see so many of the same people complain how the "game passed him by" or that "It's not 2003 anymore" etc and are the same ones who on this thread say "what a loss by the Leafs" or "so much better than what the Leafs have"

It's delicious

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's great to read and see so many of the same people complain how the "game passed him by" or that "It's not 2003 anymore" etc and are the same ones who on this thread say "what a loss by the Leafs" or "so much better than what the Leafs have"

It's delicious
Like you said before it's a reminder what people thought of Lou at that time and of the Shanahan's decision to name him the GM.

So when other people say today how the Islanders hiring Lou is a great move and how he's very respected or a great Hockey mind, the evidence is in that thread.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Like you said before it's a reminder what people thought of Lou at that time and of the Shanahan's decision to name him the GM.

So when other people say today how the Islanders hiring Lou is a great move and how he's very respected or a great Hockey mind, the evidence is in that thread.

Yep, loss of credibility.

For the record I do have a healthy respect for Lou, I just hate seeing posters say one thing, and change it to another to suit their agendas.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yep, loss of credibility.

For the record I do have a healthy respect for Lou, I just hate seeing posters say one thing, and change it to another to suit their agendas.
I also respect Lou for what he did in Toronto and my opinion of him changed in a positive way compared to when he was in New Jersey. I'm also sure the Islanders fans are much happier with him compared to Garth Snow, although from what I have read anyone would be better than he was.

I'm also like you and I hate it when people change their opinion about someone or something because it fits the narrative, like it's popular to crap on the Leafs no matter what move they make will always be the wrong one no matter what.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I also respect Lou for what he did in Toronto and my opinion of him changed in a positive way compared to when he was in New Jersey. I'm also sure the Islanders fans are much happier with him compared to Garth Snow, although from what I have read anyone would be better than he was.

I'm also like you and I hate it when people change their opinion about someone or something because it fits the narrative, like it's popular to crap on the Leafs no matter what move they make will always be the wrong one no matter what.

Agreed, it annoys me.

I do think the Islanders will be happy with him, not sure how much Lou has left in the tank, but he is a HOF manager, and he will improve the culture in NY for sure.

It is great for them, but I am in no way saying that combo is better than the young dynamic group that Dubas will keep building in Toronto, I see it as the way the game is going.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, it annoys me.

I do think the Islanders will be happy with him, not sure how much Lou has left in the tank, but he is a HOF manager, and he will improve the culture in NY for sure.

It is great for them, but I am in no way saying that combo is better than the young dynamic group that Dubas will keep building in Toronto, I see it as the way the game is going.
There is a case to be made for Lamoirello and everything he has done as a GM. However what I think tips this poll in the favor of the Leafs is Babcock himself. Besides his success at the NHL level he also had success at the junior level and international level. He's the only coach to be apart of the Triple Gold Club for winning a Stanley Cup, coaching 2x Olympic Gold Medal winning teams and a World Hockey Championship. Plus he also won a World Junior Championship as Canada's coach in 1997. There is a reason why other teams like Buffalo, San Jose, St. Louis and Philadelphia talked to Babcock about coaching them and that's not including Detroit who tried to keep him.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
There is a case to be made for Lamoirello and everything he has done as a GM. However what I think tips this poll in the favor of the Leafs is Babcock himself. Besides his success at the NHL level he also had success at the junior level and international level. He's the only coach to be apart of the Triple Gold Club for winning a Stanley Cup, coaching 2x Olympic Gold Medal winning teams and a World Hockey Championship. Plus he also won a World Junior Championship as Canada's coach in 1997. There is a reason why other teams like Buffalo, San Jose, St. Louis and Philadelphia talked to Babcock about coaching them and that's not including Detroit who tried to keep him.

I can agree with that. I also think having guys who worked for the NHL and built CBA's, plus helped Vegas in the expansion draft deserve credit. Add Dubas into the mix, plus whoever he brings in to replace hunter, and you have a VERY good team, especially in the cap world.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not really close. Lou Lam and Trotz.
The gap between Dubas and Lou Lam is huge. I slightly prefer Babcock to Trotz but it’s pretty close.

That's hilarious. Dubas just finished his first draft weekend and you've already made up your mind on him.

Just saw username, nevermind.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The Red Wings were very good after 2013?
No. That 2013/14 roster had absolutely no d. They're best player was kronwall who is not bad, but probably among the bottom 5 in terms of number 1 dmen. Then came dekeyser, Ericsson, Smith, kindl, quincey.

That's an absolutely abysmal defense.

And tgeir forwards beyond datsyuk and Zetterberg, both on the downside of tgeir careers, were pretty bad too.

It's actually pretty amazing they made the playoffs at all.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not gonna vote. Those knocking trotz are crazy. He's an elite coach. He got a LOT of Nashville for years on low payrolls and mediocre talent.

But between dubas and loulam? I don't know.... personally for the team I'd prefer to take a chance on dubas. Loulam has obviously been one of the best gms in the league for decades, but hes long in the tooth and i think id justvprefer to go with some new age thinking. But its impossible to say he's the better GM. Because he is brand new.

Which also makes me a little anxious. The last time we had a rookie GM it was a total disaster.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lou > Dubas (for now, for me)
Trotz = Babcock

Close, but Isles. Could go either way though.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Opposition fans never fail to denigrate anything Leafs/Toronto. Ever.
Works both ways man.

Have you read what Leafs fans have said about Dubas a couple weeks into the job? Have you read what they have said about Lou after he left? Have you read how successful Babcock is meanwhile he hasn't won s*** in years?

Stop playing victim, there's loads of hypocrisy in this thread.

Reactions: Echo Roku

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Works both ways man.

Have you read what Leafs fans have said about Dubas a couple weeks into the job?

Its right here in this thread. He hasn't been around enough to say, plus we think it *could* be the right path.

Have you read what they have said about Lou after he left?

That he was mediocre, he had some successes-he deserves thanks.

Have you read how successful Babcock is meanwhile he hasn't won s*** in years?

He did win these things, and has had more successful, I wouldn't the World Cup is nothing, though I'm sure you'll say different.
[/quote]

Stop playing victim, there's loads of hypocrisy in this thread.

You chime in a lot of ours threads...I'll remember this.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Today, Lams and Trotz, but going forward I would take Dubas and B-Cock. The Isles due has proven a lot more, so you can't ignore that. But Lou will be on a beach with a margarita soon, so it doesn't help the team much at that point.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I see. You haven't been around enough.
No, I have been. Leaf fans, to a laughably extreme degree sometimes, tend to be hopelessly optimistic about everything that hasn't been a complete failure and hype them up to be the bestest best stuff ever. Happens every time. Dubas hasn't even done almost anything for the Leafs and he's already treated like one of the best GMs in the league. Its just funny at a point.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Its right here in this thread. He hasn't been around enough to say, plus we think it *could* be the right path.

That he was mediocre, he had some successes-he deserves thanks.

He did win these things, and has had more successful, I wouldn't the World Cup is nothing, though I'm sure you'll say different.

You chime in a lot of ours threads...I'll remember this.[/QUOTE]
"You're threads"

It's the main boards bud, can chime in whenever I feel.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Lamoriello really drags down the Isles duo.

He's just bad at this point.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Babcock is the most overrated coach in the league and Dubas has proven nothing yet

this polls is unfair and easily the Islanders duo

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
As others have said, Shanahan had both Lou and Dubas in his front office and yet he choose Dubas over Lou. This poll is ludicrous because other than Kyle Dubas's minor league stints there is practically nothing to form an opinion on. It's also ridiculous to expect HF posters to have any understanding of Dubas's skills and attributes as an NHL GM.

I will say this, however, every time I see a Dubas interview I grow more and more impressed. Now talk is one thing, he'll have to let his actions speak for him, which will only come with time. But it's still important to note that an experienced and knowledgable hockey mind choose Dubas over Lou; I think Shanahan has a better grasp of Kyle Dubas as it relates to Lou than some HF posters who think too highly of their own opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Marlander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad